WDW and DL to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

Maelstrom was nobody’s favourite, Splash is an awful lot of people’s favourite. People are always going to be reminiscing about when it was Splash in a way that most don’t when they ride FEA.

2 Likes

oooh girl, you are so wrong about that!

Maelstrom has a HUGE cult following. And a tremendous number of people (to be clear, not me - I didn’t care for it) were absolutely devastated (and still have not gotten over) the re-imagineering that took place

2 Likes

I liked it, a lot. I would much rather have it back than FEA. But favourite ride? Really?!

I agree that there was a lot of turmoil over the closing, but wasn’t that more often directed at the loss of a country-centric attraction versus Disney-fying it?

2 Likes

I don’t remember ever having to wait to ride Maelstrom. I certainly never waited two hours to write it!

Hey I’m with you.

I just remember the wailing and flailing

It was a sight, let me tell you

2 Likes

I remember being embarrassed to admit I’d waited 25 mins.

2 Likes

Me too. But on DIS.

I think it was just over the ride. But is that what’s important?

The point is, whenever something goes away there’s going to be a certain segment - and often a large one - of the Disney fandom that is going to be up in arms about it.

5 Likes

Yes.
It was only a matter of time until they nailed one that I liked. More often than not I don’t care about the rides getting changed. I do wish they would just make new ones.

1 Like

Mine will come, I know it.

If it wasn’t for change there would be no butterflies. Or cheese, if that’s more your thing.

1 Like

Ooh cheese

Throw in yeast and add bread to the list too!

1 Like

was there a different flume ride in Disney World before that? I seem to recall there was something in 1990. I remember then coming home to hershey park and riding theirs and just being disappointed.

Up until now, I thought it was Splash Mountain…but I guess not?

Definitely not in 1990. Splash I mean, not a different flume ride that may or may not have been there.

Allegedly this is from 1983… don’t see any ride…

1 Like

[In the early 80’s] " It was Dick Nunis who insisted that the Imagineers create a log flume for Disneyland, but the Imagineers were initially unenthusiastic about it, insisting that log flumes were a too ordinary theme park attraction to include in a Disney park."

It took 6 years from pitching the concept in 1983 to the DLR grand opening in 1989, and two more years for the grand opening in WDW.

1 Like

Can you think of a better word to describe it?

:wink:

I laughed when I saw this! My DH and I joke about the fact that everything in Disney World is made of concrete, even the water and trees. (We know that’s not true, but there ARE a lot of things created with concrete.)

1 Like

Actually, we loved Maelstrom. It was in our top 3 rides for sure!

2 Likes