WDW and DL to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

9 Likes

Disney Parks Blog Post

3 Likes

This was a long time coming. I was surprised the Song of the South-based theming persisted as long as it has.

8 Likes

Facilier could be kind of scary in the tunnels. Iā€™m sure it will still smell likeā€¦ musty ride water.

3 Likes

I hope they use the drop as a way to escape Dr. Facilier. It definitely has potential

6 Likes

No more Zippity Doo Dah. :fearful:

I didnā€™t see if this will still be called Splash Mountain. Is that from Song of the South? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I understand why theyā€™re doing this, and if itā€™s for the best I canā€™t disagree with their decision. But it doesnā€™t mean I wonā€™t miss the songs and characters terribly. :sob::sob::sob: This is my favorite ride in any Disney park.

But I will try to be optimistic and enjoy the new ride, which Iā€™m sure will be fantastic.

18 Likes

No. The name ā€œSplash Mountainā€ isnā€™t tied to Song of the South, but the song is. They could keep the name of the rideā€¦although, they might want to change the name to better separate itself from the legacy it leaves behind (for better or for worse).

1 Like

Heard this idea floated on TP podcast and think itā€™s a great idea. Rapunzel would have been good too, particularly for our SM which is near to the tinkle tower, I mean Rapunzel square

13 Likes

As much as I will miss the current version of Splash Mountain, and of course all of the awesome songs, I am hopeful that this will result in a true ā€œplussingā€ of the attraction that means upgrades to sound, lighting, and maintenance. I know that maintenance for the current version is awful and very costly. Iā€™m thinking they can bring in some of the technology they use for the Naā€™vi River Journey while still using some of the existing animatronics since they already have that animated look to them.

Regardless of the fact they are doing this for political reasons, I am glad they are giving this ride some attention and hope they are refurbing it to last for generations.

4 Likes

There are times when we have to say ā€œbut itā€™s sooooooooooooooo goodā€ is not that good if itā€™s derogatory (if in history only) to anyone.

9 Likes

I was sad to see Maelstrom go, but the Frozen ride turned out amazing even if you donā€™t love the movie. Iā€™m sure this will be the same.

4 Likes

The stories told in Splash Mountain are not racistā€¦and are actually from African folkloreā€¦not plantation folklore. They were brought to America by slaves coming from Africaā€¦but that doesnā€™t make them racist.

So the idea that the ride had to change because it represents a part of American history that celebrated slavery is categorically false. But, I can see how, at a passing glance, someone would think Splash Mountain was a celebration of Song of the South, which at a passing glance, someone would think is a celebration of the Antebellum South, even though it isnā€™t. Perception is reality in todayā€™s worldā€¦so Disney is doing what they can to weather the current storms.

As long as they truly plus the attraction and donā€™t just re-skin it, I am ā€œon boardā€.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s not really the problem. The problems stems from the direct and inseparable ties the ride has to Song of the South the movie. While the specific stories they put into the ride may be fine, it is that tie to the movie, particularly the use of Zippity Doo Dah, that is the problem. Even though I love the ride, the choice of using a direct SOTS connection seems like it was always a shaky decision.

6 Likes

I love it. Canā€™t wait to see what the Imagineers come up with!

Wonderingā€¦how will the height requirement of Splash effect the most princess-crazy of park guestsā€¦typically girls 5 and under and not always over 39ā€. Is there a character ride in DL which not all family members can ride?

ooh this will be a great way to help kids get over their fear of thrill rides! :wink:

2 Likes

There is no mention of Splash Mt. in the movie. (I own an old pirated VHS copy.)

Personally, I fine with the change. So many people donā€™t even know there is a Song of the South movie and wonā€™t miss it. Many think the characters were created for the parks like Figment.

Inserting P&tF as a theme is far more relevant and will bring more Magic & Happiness than characters from a movie most ppl have no reference for.

Iā€™ll miss hearing ā€œZippity Doo Dahā€, but I can always just play it in my earbuds as I walk around the park!

7 Likes

I didnā€™t realize until recently that Splash Mountain was themed after a movie. Iā€™ve always just associated the characters and songs with the ride.

I love it and Iā€™ll miss it, but Iā€™m sure the new one will be great.

If that picture in the blog article is any indication of how the new ride will look, I think it will be beautiful and enchanting.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say it is for POLITICAL reasons, but CULTURAL reasons.

But, regardless, I think there is more to it than thisā€¦and, in fact, the art-work that they have and plans suggest this has been something in the works for some time. Now is just the right time to announce the change.

The fact is, the push that Disney has made over the years to use IP from their movies in their rides hasnā€™t done Splash Mountain any favors. There is no visceral connection for most Disney guests (particularly younger guests) to Splash Mountain. So even if you set aside ANY of the concern over the ties to SOTS, etc., you STILL have a ride that guests canā€™t connect to in the same they can to say, Peter Pan, or Buzz Lightyear, since there are movies that guests can actually watch.

12 Likes

This is the best! I was really hoping they would choose the Princess and the Frog Theme. Being from Louisiana, this will be a joy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes