WDW and DL to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

Why did I think there was going to be a Tiana’s restaurant in Reflections? I know that is on hold now, but was that the plan?

1 Like

A Tiana’s Place restaurant would be great, I’d be totally onboard with that.

5 Likes

Yes it was.

I get why they are changing it, but I’m so bummed my kids won’t get to experience it. They love watching videos of it on YouTube. It was closed during our trip.

1 Like

I understand why they are changing the ride, although I will miss Splash as it is now.

I’m confused though at some of the posts saying Tiana NEEDS her own ride though. Not that I don’t like the movie. But not all the characters have rides (Mulan, Rapunzel, Pocahontas, Moana come to mind). How many years did it take Mickey to get one?

I totally agree about the restaurant though. I would be on board with that in the parks or at POR or POFQ.

3 Likes

I think that was discussed.

but as reflections has got the can for now, maybe this is a better option

I think people are seeing it as they chose Tiana because she is African American, but as her getting “leftovers” instead of an original.

I’m not sure they chose her because of her race. I think it was the nearest IP that they could put into that land in the park. I think her race was a happy accident

2 Likes

I meant in general, but I see what you are saying in regards to using Splash.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know. And I don’t know what people envision. Based on what I do know about the movie, the restaurant seems like the most excellent use of the intellectual property. Not to mention how slow Disney had been about new rides (IMO), and cancelling announced plans, this is the fastest way to a PatF ride at all.

I tried to look at bit. Here is an very excellent idea!

https://twitter.com/KTtheDisneybear/status/1276219791011803141

This doesn’t give an answer; but it made me gaffaw out loud.

https://twitter.com/rawrallicarr/status/1276352045583339520

3 Likes

My comment was more regarding the repeated comments that there should be a restaurant. I don’t know if people just didn’t know there were permits filed for one?

Yes, Reflections seems to be on hold (although a recent report I heard shared some equipment was still on site and the Foundation was raised. It might only be delayed? Who knows?

1 Like

TBH there aren’t a lot of rides I care too much about losing. BUT what I thing is super cheesy is just repurposing them in general. I wish they’d ADD a Tiana attraction.

And I am surprised they haven’t already rethemed Cafe Orleans at DLR. I liked their menu so much we actually ate there twice on our once-in-a-lifetime trip, vs trying something new.

Honestly - (get Tomatoes ready) - let’s just change all of WS to princess land! Each country magnifies the princess or princesses that hail from them. In the case where we don’t have one YET - well - time to either find a new country or make a new movie. :wink:

I thought that’s what i responded to :slight_smile:

Like the old Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup commercial’s I can imagine two Imagineers colliding on the way to their respective meetings.
Papers scatter.
“Hey, you’ve got your New Orleans Square IP in my log flume re-theme”
“You’ve got your log flume re-theme in my New Orleans Square IP”

OK maybe it’s just me.

5 Likes

I think this has to be done, for how central to the plot it is, and how it serves as the symbol for Tiana’s hard work to achieve her dreams. There is a great template to work from on the Disney Wonder. The two dinners there were some of the highlights of my cruise last year. Great cajun food, amazing atmosphere, Tiana and Louis circling through to say hi, and live top-notch New Orleans style jazz music. Phenomenal.

12 Likes

I was very surprised today to realize that the ride was opened in Disney World in 1992! It’s not an old attraction at all, and I’m surprised that anyone thought this was a good theme in 1992.

5 Likes

I hope my comments weren’t construed as meaning I thought Tiana needed her own ride! We could never have rides enough in that case! Where is my Mulan ride? Huh?

And I totally get the reluctance to change. I remember being so distressed when ToT was being rethemed to GotG. But you know what? I love it now way more than I did before, and I didn’t think that was possible.

My kids love Splash (now - let me tell you about the hysterical tears when the ride stopped just as we were cresting to take the plunge at MK in 2012) but it’s the plunge that they love. The theming is meaningless to them. So the things they love will still be there and probably packaged in a way they’ll enjoy even more.

I hope all of you that love the current ride can take the plunge at least one more time before it changes. Honestly, I don’t think it will happen any time soon.

4 Likes

My DD15 is devastated. She was ranting last night and still miffed this morning. It is her earliest memory of WDW and her favorite ride.

1 Like

I’m sorry. :disappointed: That’s tough when it’s your earliest memory! I know I still feel weird about the Tea Cups at DLR because they’re not where they were when I was really little (circa 1970).

I don’t understand why re-themeing a ride would mean that it’s not Tiana’s “own” ride. People consider FEA to be Frozen’s own ride… hardly anyone even thinks about it having been an older ride, and certainly not the kids. Also, what else would they put in place of the themeing that’s there? It’s not like they’re going to totally scrap one of the most popular rides.

2 Likes

That’s because the original concept was pitched in 1983 and even then it involved re-purposing another preexisting attraction.

Splash Mountain was originally conceived in the summer of 1983 by Imagineer Tony Baxter while stuck in rush-hour traffic on his way to work. … While trying to solve the problems of including a log flume, bringing people into Bear Country and reusing the America Sings characters , Baxter thought of Song of the South.

To listen to Tony discuss the development of the ride checkout The Imagineering Story on Disney+

1 Like