WDW and DL to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

And… it’s in my head. yep that’s all it took

3 Likes

You’re welcome!?!

1 Like

Animal Mountain? sure
Hollywood Mountain? maybe
EPMOT? (replacing ‘city’ with ‘mountain’) That sounds dumb and is a bridge too far for me.

1 Like

Want

2 Likes

What about EPMC? Experimental Prototype Mountain Community?

ETA: Or EMCOT? Experimental Mountain Community of Tomorrow?

3 Likes

The song is problematic, not just the movie.

https://twitter.com/carlyewisel/status/1276201826296033280?s=21

3 Likes

I heartily disagree with that. I love Frozen, I’ve seen it loads (and I’m an adult with no small children), I would never skip the sing along but FEA is crap. Once and done, I waited 10 minutes and it was too long.

6 Likes

And now THAT’s in my head lol! Ah Disney movies

1 Like

This has a decent ring to it, even if it sounds vaguely similar to MCAT. Would adding a snow cap on top of SE ruin it for some people?

2 Likes

Me too. I’d much prefer that to PatF! And it has a catchy theme tune to sing along to…

I’m glad i’m not alone. I adore Frozen and while I thought the animatronics effects were great, FEA left me with a blah feeling and that I couldn’t believe I spend a FP on that.

2 Likes

It’s not my favorite thing ever, but it really is an improvement over Maelstrom, which I mainly just liked because of the nostalgia of riding it 10 times in a row as a teen because we thought the Norwegian ride operator was cute.

3 Likes

At least Maelstrom had something to do with Norwegian culture.

1 Like

I agree. I mean, the ride mechanism was never spectacular, so the theme to Frozen doesn’t improve that. But the theming to Frozen does make the ride better than it was as Maelstrom. It doesn’t make it a great ride…just a better one.

1 Like

I liked Maelstrom.

5 Likes

On the Disney Dish podcast, they said that the ride was largely constructed out of concrete. So they will have to do an entirely new imagining to change it. I agree Splash Mountain in a classic, but I love the retheming idea. I do selfishly wish it could be Tangled, at least in WDW, but Princess and the Frog to replace the racist origins of Splash Mountain seems like a good fit, as Disneyland in particular is so very white-washed. I hope the new ride is an absolutely success! (and if we’re redoing the Disneyland version, expand the ride so it’s a double wide boat like in WDW!)

2 Likes

Yes, but none of the kids (and few of the adults - this group not withstanding) know the stories, so the theming does not really resonate with a lot of people. Plus, representation is important. Disney is VERY white. Bringing in a ride that features the only black princess (and one of only a few non-white heroines) is way more important than the racial undertones to Song of the South. Brown boys and girls should be able to see heroes and heroines that look like them just like white kids do. So it ticks off two boxes - bringing the story line current to something kids today have actually seen, and representation for non-white groups. I personally am thrilled that they are doing this.

25 Likes

Curious when this will be closed for refurb.

1 Like

How will this thematically fit into Frontierland? New Orleans isn’t exactly frontier. In a park where theming is such a factor, I wonder how this will be handled.

1 Like

Good point. Although I would say I am not sure what “frontier” means. Splash Mountain isn’t really frontier except that they made it to look like a desert mountain on the outside. Inside, its all south… see image below for example… so, LA bayou may not be a stretch…

6 Likes