WDW and DL to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

True. It was more of a superficial fit into Frontierland already.

2 Likes

How is a huge waterfall going to be woven into a story set in swamps?

1 Like

FWIW, here is the concept art, including the waterfall

12 Likes

To be fair, I’ve never ridden Splash because I can’t do the big drops, but how did they incorporate a waterfall into a story set on the (presumably) Mississippi River?

And if you’re the size of a frog, it doesn’t take much of a drop to look like a “big” waterfall. I think there’s some really fun possibilities there.

7 Likes

Much better fit at Disneyland as it’s right next to New Orleans Square!

6 Likes

Good idea. Also, let’s look on the bright side, this is like getting a “new” ride in one of the most crowded parks. I think any time Disney gets a crack at updating something with new technology, that’s a good thing and not just from a “display” standpoint. Last time we were there, Splash Mountain stopped twice while we were on it.

From what I understand it’s going to be like a sequel story, so it doesn’t necessarily need to take place in a typical bayou like was in the movie. I mean, it doesn’t even have to happen in a real kind of place… it’s Disney, after all.

1 Like

This is my biggest (and really only) concern about the change. Save the song. I honestly never cared about the characters or story of Splash Mountain.

But the good news is Zippidy Do Dah is still in the entrance music and in the Resort music (And I think the carousel music too?). So it’ll still be played. But yeah, I could have that replace just about every song in the park and I’d be happy. Certainly would give a whole new vibe to Haunted Mansion.

Truthfully though, I don’t think we’ll be seeing these changes soon at all.

1. It’s not like disney is swimming in cash at the present moment.
  1. They already have a ton of projects underway that need to get done or at least started. Tron, Space Ship Earth, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers Campus, the entire Epcot transformation, Star Wars hotel, etc…

Maybe once Epcot’s redo is winding down, but that would be the soonest I would say any of this gets under way, so you’re talking 3-4 years yet.

5 Likes

I hope so because I won’t be back for 2 years!

2 Likes

I was expecting a lot more drama in this thread. I’ll put away this popcorn I brought. :popcorn:

7 Likes

This group and the positive comments are so refreshing. Checking out a few other forums and my gosh, the “outrage” and some of the comments are just horrible. Another reason why this is my favorite forum.

21 Likes

I have to say I am saddened by this as it is our favorite ride. With that aside, I understand the reasoning. I hope they don’t start on this soon. I would much like to ride Splash one or two or three more times.

2 Likes

Agreed. Even when there are conflicting viewpoints, people are very civil and respectful of each other here, and I think that type of interaction is sorely missing from our culture. I think Disney fanatics tend to just be genuinely nice people! Kudos to everyone.

I tend to be more on the side of nostalgia and keeping things the way they were, but I get why Disney is doing this. I don’t see it as going overboard and shoving a political stance down people’s throats, but rather making an improvement that serves multiple purposes, more than the racial aspect alone. Many more people will be able to relate to the theme and characters, and while I am hesitant about shoehorning princesses and other IP’s into the parks in random places, I think this will be a net positive change.

19 Likes

I understand the reasoning behind the change and knew it was only a matter of time before Disney made it. I will miss visiting Brer fox, Brer Bear, Brer Rabbit and Brer Frog.

It was one of my favorite experiences in Frontierland. I enjoyed the catchy song that weaved its way through the queue ride and exit. I loved how immersive the scenes were and the large amount of dynamic elements in each. You could always find something new to see each time you rode it. I loved the hidden Mickey in the clouds.

I just hope Disney does not cheap out and just change the paint color on all the existing elements. I hope they take the time to do it right and make sure it fits in Frontierland. Princess Tiana deserves a stellar attraction. Make sure the backstory makes sense, that the music chosen works and we get to see all our iconic and favorite PatF characters.

I can’t wait to see how they put Ray in the attraction.

And can’t wait for the wisdom from Mama Odie image

…and how Dr. Facilier coaxes us over the falls

8 Likes

Obviously, until we get construction dates, there’s no way to know when this will be done.

BUT… does this concern anyone else about another ride being down / incomplete for the 50th Anniversary? I’ve been planning to go in Dec. 2021 since 2018. My hopes were Tron would be done along with GotG and an assortment of other new rides, attractions & eateries

Now everything is super delayed with no projections on completion times. I’m not even concerned with booking a “room only” ressie yet - even though it’s past the 499 day release time.

idk… just brainstorming… :thinking:

1 Like

The “good” news is with everything pushed back, it may be until 2022 till they start? I guess we’ll see.

After my initial shock this morning, I am warming up to this new idea more and more. Tiana will be a great addition to the parks. At the same time, I am still feeling grief from this loss of a “loved one.” I’ll have to watch some YouTube ride throughs. :slight_smile:

But I agree with Disney’s decision to move on.

4 Likes

My daughter fell in love with Ray when the movie came out. I searched high and low for a stuffed Ray and finally found one on Amazon. We brought Ray to MK on our one and only WDW trip in 2012. At the parade, my daughter was waving her Ray in the air as Tiana and Prince Naveen went by on their float. Naveen saw her, pointed at Ray then the sky as if asking how did Ray come back to life. It was truly a magical moment for her to be picked out of the crowd. Love this memory.

21 Likes

I love that story! What an incredible experience.

My daughter was in love with Ray as well when the movie came out. During our 2010 trip we went into the Magic of Disney Animation experience hoping we could convince our instructor to show us how to draw Ray. Unfortunately she was only classically trained on the Fab 5.

1 Like

I don’t think they’ll touch Splash until after the 50th (or near the end). They need to finish Ratatouille, Tron, and the Guardians ride (and finish Epcot in general) to have the same crowd pull they were expecting. During the Golden Anniversary, Splash can be like a “last ride for the classic folks but we promise we are changing it” and then have that be project #1 at the start of 2023 (14 years post PaTF, so just in time for it to come out of the vault haha). I wonder if they will close and reopen Splash in both parks at the same day?

5 Likes

I think that’s fair. I will admit it is sad. It’s a great ride and a lot of people love it and don’t know the history

I think you can be sad but also, as you say, understand why it needs to happen.

3 Likes