Washington Dis Ney - a trip report

Is this currently blooming? If so I need to take DD to see it.

1 Like

Valid reason! I do think she’s probably doing better at bar. Definitely their loss!
My breakfast was so good there that I came home and made it for myself :joy:

5 Likes

The original Jaleo is in downtown in case you want some more Disney!

Here are some other suggestions:

• Frederick Douglas House - very interesting tour - need a car and a reservation.
  • Tower at the Old Post Office - if you don’t go up in the Washington Monument, the 2nd highest view is from the Tower at the Old Post Office. The tower is run by the National Park Service as it is historic - really great views. The rest of the Old Post Office" is also known as the Trump Hotel.
  • Library of Congreas - prettiest building in DC.
  • Marine Corp monument on the VA side of the river - beautiful at sunset.
  • WWII, Korean, Vietnam and Lincoln memorials at night. A ompletely different experience and you can park close by!
10 Likes

The original Jaleo is fabulous!

One of my roommates when I first moved to DC in 2000 worked there! I love that the DS one is so popular. It was definitely ahead of its time.

2 Likes

I’m impressed with your pick up and go attitude! Pack it all in with your Liner skills!

2 Likes

I don’t think it is yet, but probably not long!

1 Like

Tonight’s plan is all the memorials at night. Thanks for the suggestions! We’re going to run out of time on this trip but we will be back!

We are trying Founding Farmers as it puts us closer to where we’re going. It’s a busy place! But we need to wait for the sun to go down anyway.

8 Likes

Hard to get a photo, but we walked by Black Lives Matter Plaza. I was hoping to see it at some point.

This is the I in Lives. :joy:

9 Likes

The memorials at night are amazing!!

4 Likes

I lived in DC for ten years and my company is still based there. I prefer Founding Farmers but ChurchKey is also good - lots of younger professionals like to hang there.

If you’re not far from The Fairmont Hotel at 23rd and M street (which you may not be given FF and ChurchKey references), they have great cocktails in the lobby bar. Particularly the Beetini (they make their own honey on the rooftop). Jawad is the bartender and he’s amazing.

5 Likes

I think the corpse flower.only blooms for.like a day, so I will ha e to start tracking it.

I worked or a Congressional critter for over 8 years. The interns work hard - I hope she is in a good office and has a great time. I work in the healthcare nonprofit sector now, so if that area is of any interest to her from a networking perspective I am happy to talk to her.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m sure she would love that. She’s a natural at networking.

2 Likes

We had a pretty great dinner at Founding Farmers last night. @eeeevah We couldn’t go to Churchkey because DD19 is, well, 19, and it’s an over 21 establishment.

Then we set out to walk the memorials. Including Jefferson. Which was a long dark, deserted walk. But we made it! I ended the day with over 30,000 steps.

White House - we saw a helicopter land in front and wondered if that was Joe getting home from his speech at a college graduation in Delaware.

15 Likes

Mama duck and her babies. Felt bad that there were so many people around bugging them.

13 Likes

I think this memorial for Korean War veterans and fallen is maybe the most emotional. :black_heart:

15 Likes

Jefferson is under refurb so not the best experience. I remember it being my favorite when I visited as a teen.

13 Likes

Today we walked around the Capitol and Library of Congress before heading to the Natural History Museum. (I slept through the 7:00 am drop for Holocaust Museum tix. Next time. :woman_facepalming:t2:)

15 Likes

I burst into tears at the Vietnam Memorial after I found a family mbr’s name on the wall. I felt so silly but I couldn’t stop sobbing.

7 Likes

They must be expecting trouble. Fences are all around the Supreme Court.

8 Likes