Washington Dis Ney - a trip report

Rope drop was a fail. Next drop is online at 10:00 am for tickets tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Picked up this little beauty for my coworker.

10 Likes

Hope you get it at 10!

Well we didn’t. :woman_facepalming:t2: Didn’t realize we had to be logged into the National Park website. Live and learn! This should stand us in good stead for trying for the Holocaust Museum tomorrow at least.

5 Likes

Oh no! At least now you know.

1 Like

First metro ride! We’re on our way to the infamous Pizzagate restaurant for lunch.

15 Likes

The Holocaust Museum is an independent museum- not tied to either the NPS or the Smithsonian. I don’t believe you’ll need to be logged in to get tickets (but I haven’t been in years)

4 Likes

Good to know - thanks!

We had great pizza at Comet Ping Pong! But forgot to take pics. Just finishing up a snack at the Museum of the American Indian. Fry bread and a wild rice (native to Great Lakes area) with dried cranberries salad. The salad might look weird but it’s delicious!

13 Likes

We also visited the US Botanic Gardens. They have the coolest woven art piece that you can walk through.

13 Likes

But the conservatory is the star of the show.

14 Likes

Corpse flower. Should be part of an Indiana Jones movie!

Kids garden area is so cute! They can plant stuff, water, rake,etc. There’s also a big toy, kid size chairs, misters, you could play in there a long time.

11 Likes

Abby and I went to the Holocaust Museum in 2016. At that time if you became a member, you could get a reservation that day to attend. You do end up spending more but not that much more. If they are still doing that, it may work for you.

I love DC! If you are looking for a good breakfast place, Matty and I loved The Founding Farmer. It’s not too far off a metro stop. When went every morning when we went in February.

Have fun!

9 Likes

The Disney touches are everywhere!

Living with the Land …

Churro cart …

12 Likes

Maybe we can check it out! Right now at the pool bar at the hotel. :grin:

6 Likes

I live within the hour on DC and it is always so fun to see people visiting. My favorite museum is the American History museum. It has the ruby red slippers from Wizard of Oz. My husband’s favorite is the Air and Space Museum. I second founding fathers as a great restaurant. Ben’s Chili Bowl is another local favorite. If you have time go to Georgetown. It is the best town!

7 Likes

We saw Ben’s Chili Bowl on a list of must-do’s. My girls weren’t interested unfortunately. Maybe next time. We really enjoyed the American Indian museum today. We’re hoping to the Natural History museum at some point too. Way too much to see this time, but DD22 is planning on staying for a couple of years, so we’ll have more chances.

6 Likes

Yes.

Yes.

I was a little obsessed with learning everything I could about it after I read Anne Frank’s Diary

Then I went into the Holocaust museum in LA and came out completely and totally transformed. It was there that I found my compassion for every other human being. And where I became determined in my thinking that the past shouldn’t be rewritten or hidden.

7 Likes

Yes- it was closed for a long time after the earthquake.

2 Likes

Melissa, I suggested Founding Farmer to chessie. She said she didn’t want to go because she applied to work there and they turned her down! :joy: She’s working at a bar called ChurchKey, just in case anyone’s heard of it.

6 Likes