VIP tour options/how would you plan your day

I’m embarrassed that I have to look this up. Is that the Safari?

Oh! I just looked it up! Fun! I would totally do this!

1 Like

If you do these VIP tours, please post about them. I love living vicariously through everyone who posts trip reports. It brings me joy to read about other people’s joy.

6 Likes

I’ll have to look into how previous posters have done it, through the app or through the website as a running page. Either way I’m not sure my battery will keep up if I did it all day like a Randall or DumboRunner TR (though I really, really want to!), but I will absolutely try to post when I’m back in the room on a charger.

DH likes to run away for naps and DS just likes to run, so I need to keep my phone semi charged for when they want to meet back up.

3 Likes

Finally at my laptop.

Three VIP tours feels excessive to me. I mean, if you’re super-rich then I guess “why not?” but I don’t really know how “necessary” it is. There may be better things to do with your time and money.

For example, the reason I mentioned the Wild Africa Trek is because it’s awesome. Everyone who’s been on it says so. I’ve done it twice and can barely imagine doing AK without doing the WAT. The VIP tour will get you on KS but that’s nothing compared with the WAT, and the VIP tour won’t get you on that. And the WAT is a fraction the cost of a VIP tour.

I’ve been a guest on a VIP tour. I wasn’t involved in the planning. The whole thing was very slickly organised. They moved us around in a minibus which enabled us to be very efficient. There’s a car park right behind Pandora and you literally get out of the bus, walk along a secret path and you’re suddenly in the middle of it.

For some rides you get near front-of-line access — I remember there was some sneaky entrance we took to TOT — but for a lot it’s just the fast pass line, which feels a bit of scam, given the cost. The UOR VIP tours are straight to the front of the line every time.

I agree it’s smart to start the tour right outside the first ride. One tip, if the fireworks are running when you go, is to time the tour to end at the beginning of HEA. They take you to an ultra-primo viewing area.

8 Likes

As regards dining, if you dine during the tour, you’re paying the guide $500 an hour or whatever to watch you eat. So time the start of the meal at the end of the tour, so that they get you where you want to dine, but you’re not paying them to sit and watch you do it.

We just had a quick Satu’li during our tour. And they give you snacks and drinks during the tour.

6 Likes

Omg that sounds fantastic! If I could only do 2 I would spend 1 whole day in MK and the other day I would start in AK with a private safari and ride on EE, then head to HS for SDD, TSMM, MMRR, and MFSR, then to Epcot for Ratatouile, Soarin and a primo view for HarmonioUS. As an aside… I’ll be there during that time and I have money to blow lol

1 Like

I agree with every point made, even with the three being excessive. I do want one just so we can cover everything on our must-do list, and DH wants more so we don’t have to rush in between. He’s hoping for a more laid back conversation about the details we would normally miss, in-between all of the attractions.

I spent all afternoon watching videos of the WAT. I personally got miffed that they were so gabby, and some much more loud than they needed to be. There are other people on the tour, a loud, obnoxious vlogger tour mate would not be how I would want to experience WAT live for the first time! That being said, I think I would absolutely love seeing the park from that side. I think that would have to be a solo thing for me, meaning I leave the family home.

I love the HEA suggestion. I was going to try for Harmonious, but maybe I can try to do both. I agree with your point about it feeling like a rip off only being able to do FP lines, but at the same time I remember there being a sneaky tier system for FP’s anyways that always screwed up my wandering plans. To me, the freedom to jump in whatever FP line, no matter if it’s 10 times in a row (we did Matterhorn several times consecutively iirc, at least 4) or on a whim, no matter what level the attraction is at, is worth it to me.

I do think you’re right though. I think I can do 2 tour days, and rely on MVMCP (after fireworks, when the families with young kids go home) to get our MK fix in.

Yes! I think I was more hoping they would help secure the reservations instead of using the time to eat. But I see where the issue is. Interesting. We would probably just snack during the tour and see if they can get us reservations that would end right as the tour begins. No. I don’t like that either. Interesting.

:rofl::rofl: My family is a PITA so I wouldn’t do that to you…but I’d totally sneak away and do WAT with you <3

3 Likes

I also love your plan! Like, exactly.

1 Like

I’m assuming that it won’t be that hard to find a decent spot for Harmonious on your own. Or, if dessert parties come back, by doing one of those.

I had great experiences the two times I’ve done it. No obnoxious people. (Unless I was the obnoxious one?)

That seems “reasonable”.

Also (I’m really talking to myself at this point) try to avoid spending the whole trip rushing from one attraction to another. It’s so easy and tempting to do, yet you miss so much. A VIP tour really makes you feel the need to make the most of it and whoosh from one thing to the next. Sometimes you actually want to stand in the regular line because they’re so richly themed.

2 Likes

I actually have a question that requires your expert palate. Which are your favorite foodie spots? I have some that are family favorites, that memories are attached to, but I would love your perspective on where the “good” food is, no restrictions. (my DS loves conveyor belt sushi, calamari and Caesar salad, he’s picky but in weird ways. Also, we could just shove a pretzel at him and he’ll be happy as a clam)

1 Like

We’ll have to plan a drive by at least!

This is true and so bizarre, I think. We did ROTR on our VIP tour, but only because the person organising it is a demon at getting boarding groups.

I did the VIP tour at UOR to guarantee a ride on Hagrid. I actually booked two VIP tours so that I had a back-up in case the first one went wrong and I couldn’t ride, e.g. because of weather or breakdown. Luckily I got to ride it both times.

3 Likes

This is exactly what we’re looking for, with the attractions being almost the bonus, not the expected. Don’t tell DS that.

My top three are, in order:

1. Tiffins
  2. Victoria and Albert
  3. Monsieur Paul

Putting Tiffins top is controversial, but I did have my best ever WDW meal there. That being said, I’ve also been disappointed there.

V&A was great, but not all great. Some courses were meh, frankly. And I hate the stuffiness of it.

Monsieur Paul is excellent, but it’s a bit of a conveyor belt. They whoosh you through the courses.

I have other places I like because they’re yummy (breakfast at 1900PF, for example) but they’re not gourmet.

2 Likes

Fantastic, I was looking at a tour of UOR as well just based on crowds. The wizard areas are just so insane every time we’ve been. My DH won’t get an express pass because most of the rides make him sick anyway, maybe this will be a way he can enjoy the day without having to actually go on anything. It’s nice to know you had luck and enjoyed it.

1 Like

I think they’re really excellent. Better, to be honest, than the WDW ones.

1 Like

I’m SO glad you said that! I really wanted to try it based on the menu’s I’ve seen, but getting DH out of cargo shorts will be…difficult. I’d actually rather skip it and do Monsieur Paul and Tiffins instead.

I’m open to any suggestions, really, not just gourmet. We just want good food!

And thank you for your thoughts on everything. It helps.

1 Like

V&A is the only restaurant that seriously enforces a full dress code. I’m too old to be bothered with that. It’s nonsense. What does it matter what I’m wearing? The restaurant was (to me) claustrophobic (dark, no windows) and the decoration was tired. The service was old-fashioned in the “oh, very good choice, sir” whenever you order anything at all. Some of the courses — a majority — were exceptionally good. I mean, really, really good cooking and quality ingredients. And the wine pairings were awesome.

I’ve been to MP twice and basically had the exact same experience twice, which in a way speaks to its quality. The food is very, very good. It’s just the tables are kinda crammed in (well, maybe not now) and the service is so brisk. And French. I think I was in and out in under an hour both times.

Tiffins is much more relaxed and friendly. It’s attractive inside with a very chilled out atmosphere. I’ve found the service to be really excellent. The food can be really good, or just ordinary. So there’s risk.

The restaurant I’ve actually been to the most is Satu’li Canteen. I think it’s amazing. Really tasty, good food and a reasonable price. It’s pretty much a must-do for me.

Oh, I haven’t mentioned HBD. Been there three times. To be honest, I feel like it’s a bit overrated. It’s cavernous and loud. But the food is good and consistently good.

I’ve been to CG three times. First time was awful. Terrible, terrible table with a side view of, er, nothing. Expensive. Second time was the famous brunch. I’m not really a drinker, and certainly not at lunch time, so the notorious endless mimosas weren’t of much interest to me. Great table, though. Food was nice, but not awesome. Third time was dinner again. Better table. Again, food was fine. Nothing to write home about. Watched HEA the first time I went there. I think that’s a bit of a scam. You’re miles away. Sure you see fireworks, but you don’t see the projections and I’m all about the projections. The fireworks are just, well, fireworks.

People rave about Jiko. It was pretty good. Very good service, but almost intrusively friendly. Maybe that says something about me. It was my birthday (well, not really, but I was calling it my birthday trip) and I got a card signed by all the staff, which was a nice touch.

Oh, you have to do Sanaa. Get a window table, watch animals come right up to the window. And get the naan bread service. It’s as good as they say. And probably all you need to order, unless you’re a fat, greedy pig.

Breakfast at TAF became a favourite. Best breakfast on property I reckon. Awesomely good food. (You know, for breakfast.) And Flynn Rider. What more do you want?

3 Likes