Victoria and Alberts reopens July 28

100% this :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

The food was spectacular, but that was just a part of it.

We had dinner in Queen Victoria’s Room in 2018. It was right around $1,000 for DH and I and that included the meal ($235 each), a wine pairing for me ($150), upcharges (steak, black truffle pasta, etc.) (roughly $150), plus tax and tip.

Again, the food was amazing, but what I really remember is the experience. The service was excellent from beginning to end. They called the week before to talk about the menu. I don’t like seafood, so they altered all the seafood courses for me (which was most of them). I actually recommend this as DH and I got to sample each other’s plates and get the best of both the surf and turf worlds. Our server was wonderful, very attentive, and informative. When the wine started to get the better of me, the server was gracious and allowed us to pause the meal so I could settle a bit. The presentations like the giant butter sculpture and gravity coffee thing were fun and impressive. We also enjoyed conversation with the table next to ours. And if you don’t like making new friends, that’s ok too. The other two tables in the room kept to themselves. The plating of the food was a work of art. Overall, just an above and beyond experience. DH and I have been anxiously waiting for them to announce the reopening! We will definitely be going back when we are there for our anniversary in 2023.

8 Likes

I will never forget the potato glass on the one fish dish. It looked just like yellow stained glass and it was crunchy crackley, but it tasted just like a buttered potato. :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

I asked how they made it and I of course don’t remember it all (wine) but they did like 3628 things to a potato and made the ‘glass’. Spectacular.

5 Likes

That is the first thing my husband always tells people about! It was so cool!

1 Like

It was just so unreal and unlike anything I’ve ever had before.

1 Like

Wrong. There is nothing at Y&Y that comes close to the dishes served at V&A.

Exactly. Especially the Chef’s Table; we were there for over 4 hours, savoring each course with time to relax and visit between each course. Yes, the individual portions are small, but with 10 courses (and 8 different wines) it’s a lot of food.

4 Likes

How many of you were there? I really want to do the Chef’s Table, but I feel like it will be most fun with a group, not just as a couple.

2 Likes

That sums up pretty much the whole meal/experience!!

2 Likes

Did you do a TR on this? AKA, are there food photos somewhere? :wink:

1 Like

This was when I was a chat person, but give me a minute and I’ll upload them here. Warning though, it was kinda dark, my camera wasn’t great, and once the drinks kept going they got blurry :rofl:

4 Likes

There were 6 of us; my wife and I, @weasus and a friend of hers, and @pirategirl007 and her husband. A friend recommended that if it was just the two of us we would probably like the Queen Victoria room better; the same food and service, but a prettier atmosphere.

I did, but it was back in 2014 and I have no idea how I would find it (I actually think I did it on blogspot and posted a link; I don’t even know it that site is still working
 I do have food pictures, but I didn’t bring my DSLR to dinner, and cell phone cameras were not what they are today, so the aren’t especially good.

6 Likes

5 Likes

I’m sure it is tasty, but I just am not that fancy of an eater I guess. Plus I would be annoyed at a meal that took so long. I am glad many like it, and are willing to pay those prices
it’s just not for me.

4 Likes

My hot take?

The meal I had at V&A was not the best meal I’ve had at WDW. As measured by overall experience.

Individual dishes were the best individual dishes I’ve had at WDW. But maybe only five of the nine were really exceptional. The wagyu was inedible awful (maybe that’s me). The soufflĂ© was disappointing.

The service was a little stuffy / pretentious. The dining room is grimly dark and old fashioned.

My best meal? One of the three I’ve had at Tiffins. Truly outstanding, friendly service, fantastic food (every course). Relaxed, comfortable dining. It is the standout for me.

2 Likes

That giant barrel cake was made by the bakery at GF and was stupid expensive. Like over $100, maybe close to 200. There were 7 of us at the chef’s table and it really was an experience like no other. I really wanted to do that this year for my 40th, but no way I can justify that cost.

2 Likes

We were there for like 5 hours. It was ridiculous.

3 Likes

I found the website that I had been using for TRs (back in the Chat only days), but I didn’t use it for my 2014 trip. I’ll have to see if I can find it - but in all honesty @LTinNC82 's pictures are very representative and are of a much better quality than mine.

4 Likes

5 hours, ugh!! I am a fast eater, don’t usually get apps or dessert, just the entree
so am ready to get the heck out of dodge after 45-60 minutes. :rofl: I love good food, that isn’t the issue. It’s the time spent and the amount of money that could be used for more APs or trips. :rofl:

5 Likes

Our bill was $1100 after tip for a regular table in march 2020.i got mocktails and DH got cocktails. Plus some kind of beef upgrade.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Most of my signature dinners I treat as “attractions” and I typically spend close to two hours at them. At “regular” TS I only occasionally order an app and virtually never have dessert. At a signature I usually have both.

5 Likes

:flushed: you’re going to want to leave me behind at Jiko
 I’m an admittedly slow eater, especially when I get talking :see_no_evil:. And when good wine is involved. I spent like 2 hours at Jiko when I was there solo in April :joy:

5 Likes