Victoria and Alberts reopens July 28

Looks like we’ll be together :smiley:

3 Likes

I can’t immediately locate my pictures, but this is the custom menu for our Chef’s Table

7 Likes

:laughing: we can have a slow pokes table/group!

3 Likes

Yum! No wine with dessert though :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. Also, just curious, were these full wine glasses or tasting pours?

1 Like

I’ll try to remember to bring my patience this trip. :rofl: It’s all good when it takes awhile with friends. Though we do have a park to get to after, so can’t be lollygagging too much! There is a reason I made the ADR for 5:15pm and not 7 or so, which is more my preferred time to eat dinner. I knew it would take awhile.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. It looks wonderful, just not for me. I might spend that kind of ridiculous money on the Galactic Starcruiser or something else frivolous that is up my alley, but not a meal.

That said, if my employer was paying for it (which is not uncommon in my line of business), I’d be there in a heartbeat. :joy:

5 Likes

In theory they were 4 oz pours - but in reality I think they were rather generous.

But they had the coolest coffee maker I’ve ever seen. I wish I knew what it was.

2 Likes

See if you can get them to put together a nice business meal for you and like fifteen or twenty if your closest liner friends.

10 Likes

Oh I would totally go if someone was paying my way! But that isn’t likely.

5 Likes

Well that’s neat. I noticed Jiko had rather generous pours, maybe it’s a signature thing. I’d be on board with that :laughing:

1 Like

And what line is this? I may have chosen the wrong career path/employer cause I don’t think V&A chef’s table would ever be an option :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m in accounting, specifically real estate. In my current job I haven’t gone to fancy dinners in some time (mostly I’ve just tried to avoid working outside work hours :joy:), but in my prior job as an auditor at a Big Four firm, we would often go to expensive places for special occasions or as a treat in the middle of busy season when we were working till midnight (or later) every night for weeks on end. Not worth the trade-off in the slightest. LOL

6 Likes

But would those folks be willing to sponsor a special occasion for you and your best friends??

6 Likes

Ok we actually have very similar career paths :joy:. I’m a Big Four alum too, and we did have some pretty nice audit celebration dinners and some fancy expensive dinners when we were traveling and billing it to a client. Still think V&A’s probably would have been pushing it, but maybe not if I was in one of the larger offices like Philly or NY. Agreed, 100% not worth the hours and horrible physical and mental health the lack of sleep and constant stress caused haha

Also midnight, man you got off easy :wink: (kidding kidding. Kind of. I quit relatively soon after my midnights turned to 5 months of 2-5 am nights followed by having to be back at 8:30 am 6 days a week)

4 Likes

Yeah. I wouldnt have chosen to do this but it was an xmas gift from my hubby. I could spend $250 at jiko and take the other $850 toward more park days, a rental car and parking, more hotel nights, etc.

That said, i also didnt tell him no thanks :rofl: also one of my favorite meals ever involved gas station fried chicken so…

4 Likes

I was actually very lucky / smart to mostly limit myself to 10pm nights during busy season (thanks to good managers / remote clients far from partners’ prying eyes), which was much better than some of my colleagues who got stuck at the office till much later. Some were staying practically till the time people were arriving back in the office the following morning.

I think that’s ridiculous. Nothing is accomplished after midnight, and really 10pm if we’re being honest (nowadays it’s more like 6pm :joy:). My philosophy was to work smarter / harder and not accept the bullshit that we needed to be there any later than that.

It’s all a big pissing match, waiting to see who will be the first to pack up and go home. You don’t want to be the lightweight who can’t handle the pressure. Absolute bullshit. I don’t know why we accepted that premise.

5 Likes

Amen!

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I was pretty lucky my first busy season, but then very unlucky after that. I got stuck with a senior who seemed to live to work, and expected the associates on her team to do the same. I remember falling asleep on top of financial statements at my kitchen desk (it was Sunday so I was “allowed” to work from home :roll_eyes:) at 4:30 am while tying them out. Then the next day I said I wanted to go over them again before my manager reviewed them since I was worried some of the work wasn’t my best, cause ya know, 4:30 am after working 7 days straight until at least midnight-2 am. And I basically got told that meant they couldn’t rely on any of my work if I wasn’t consistently doing a stellar job. Ummmm what??? Like it’s just fact that productivity takes a steep nose dive after a certain amount of time. I hate that type of toxic culture. Guess I’m the lightweight and I’m fucking a ok with that :joy:.

6 Likes

That cake :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It was incredible! Notice even the corks have 55 on them.

2 Likes