Universal Orlando News & Planning Thread

For us it’s definitely better but we are thrill seekers. It’s hard for me to judge it but I’d say other than the trap door slides (3 or them) the rest are similar to Disney level thrills. The wave pool is nothing like as violent as BB or TL. The fearless river is so much fun, and the aquacoaster.

1 Like

Before I went all UOR crazy, I did do a lot of WDW! I’m the Disney “Refugee” after all!

I’ve been to both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. VB is hands down better. There is PLENTY for smaller kids to do. They have muultiple play areas all over. IMHO - There are only 3 “scary” slides. Those are the “trap door” style “drop” slides at the top of the volcano. If you really hate those kinds of thrills, then 90% of the park is still good for you. (Plus, you’ll save yourself 211 steps to the top of the volcano for each ride!! I have no shame in admitting I stop & catch my breath EVERY SINGLE TIME I go up those stairs - usually more than once!! :rofl: :crazy_face:)

I can compare all the things about WDW & UOR water parks to help. There are individual slides & attractions I like at BB & TL, but VB basically has all the same stuff and it’s nicer!

1 Like

I hate body slides. Great way to make you feel like you are drowning, as the water shoots up your nose! But I enjoy slides with tubes or mats. And I love a good lazy river!

I rarely go to water parks, though.

2 Likes

Unofficial Guide says Velocicoaster had a 40-minute wait WITH express pass! That was the average wait for me without EP every time I’ve ridden it in the past! Is it just that busy right now, or did EP have that big an effect? 40 minutes with EP is not acceptable, IMO. They said it was 100 minutes posted standby at the time.

https://twitter.com/theugseries/status/1628572286574886912?s=46&t=7mk1KMHQC8g8lvCik3dfXA

3 Likes

They’ve introduced this right at the same time as killer crowds.
Too many variables! Maybe we’ll have a better idea of what EP has done to VC next week when the holiday weekend crowds go home?

6 Likes

It says it’s because restraints are being double-checked which reduces capacity? I’m nervous why they need to double check them, sounds like they had a near miss.

4 Likes

They were doing that for a little while before EP was introduced.
Had the waits already increased significantly because if this before EP?

1 Like

I don’t know, I’m just saying what the tweet said.

2 Likes

You’ve convinced me. I’m glad this topic came up!!

1 Like

They started double checking beginning of January, I think it was, which has reduced capacity. I don’t expect EP to increase standby waits dramatically…so I think this week is more due to huge crowds. I am curious to see wait times starting in March for a better determination.

5 Likes

Saw this Wednesday…yikes

4 Likes

That’s longer than we waited in standby last July. It has to be the crowds.

2 Likes

Crowds have been so crazy this week that I wouldn’t use it to judge how EP is working with Velocicoaster. Also, with no Hagrid’s open, it’s the only big, premier attraction available.

4 Likes

I saw the YT that explains the new boarding procedure. From my Ops experience & what I actually saw a couple weeks ago…

In the past each TM did one pass on the restraints and then went to their launch stations.

Now, they do their pass and then wait for the TM on the opposite side to catch up. They acknowledge each other and then do a second, redundant, check on the restraints before going back to their panels.

THIS IS VERY COMMON… I’ve been trained to this very thing on many rides and at different parks!

The time it takes after the first pass to pause, hand signal and then do another pass adds up. Because of this they can’t put 4 trains on the track. They can put only 3 and then it can cause a delay for riders being held on the train right before the unloading station.

If I’m going speculate, based on my experience, the redundant check is probably what they were supposed to be doing it all along. However, the pressure from management to get your hourly throughput as close to capacity as possible means that some Leads will train in ways that are more “efficient” but still safe. (no second pass)

If I had to really speculate… ICON Park, just down the street, is still facing massive trouble over the death from their drop tower in 2021. They are looking at fines of $250,000+ and lawsuits as of just a couple months ago. The FDACS officials down there did a tour on all the parks during late 2021 after this. I’m betting everyone is doing it “by the book” for a while.

@rctmsu2000 - Thanks! I was literally about to write these very words… :rofl:

7 Likes

I was going to suggest this might be the reason as well. Timing is a little after the accident, but consistent with seeing the legal troubles expanding.

2 Likes

There is now officially a dairy free / vegan Butterbeer! My DW can’t have dairy. The topping doesn’t make her sick, but we have to be careful. So happy more people will be able to try it!!

6 Likes

March & April Early Park Admission schedule/attractions

9 Likes

Florean Fortescue’s ice cream is now available at Honeydukes in Hogsmeade!

Oh! Hagrid’s is running today as scheduled too!

9 Likes

Universal Orlando has changed the 3pm Virtual Line Passes for Parade Float spots. The Virtual Line Passes will now start one hour before the parade start time.

5 Likes

Hey look, Virtual Line! :wink:

3 Likes