Trip report J184

You know. This kind of thing bothers me, and I’ve tried to let it go…but I just CAN’T.

Because -gh is only ever pronounced like an f when it falls at the END of the word. Putting gh at the front of a word means it will be pronounced with a hard “g”.

Similarly, “ti” only takes on the “sh” sound when it is in the middle of a word, never at the beginning.

The o sound like i…well, that comes from lazy pronunciation, but I’ll allow that there MAY be legitimate times an o would take on the short i sound.

So, ghoti, when following English phonics rules, would NEVER be pronounced “fish”.

There. I’ve said my peace.

1 Like

There are. Or is.

women

1 Like

It is due to lazy pronunciation, though. We SAY “wimmin”, although properly spoke, it wouldn’t be.

I will slightly ammend my comment about the gh ALWAYS being at the end. Really, it is the ugh combination that is sometimes pronounced as an f (I don’t believe there is any case where it is without the u), but it might not necessarily be at the end. For example, “roughen” or “toughen”. But those are just making the adjective form and turning it into a verb form.

1 Like

snigger

3 Likes

If you prefer, properly spoken. But I actually meant it as “properly spoke”. Past tense. One and done.

2 Likes

Thank you for these pictures! I get to be there in a few months.

1 Like

Uh-oh! You found me out! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

brickface

12 Likes

Well well well. What brings you to the thread???

1 Like

String, thread, yarn…sometimes cats can’t help themselves.

12 Likes

imagehttps://st.depositphotos.com/1175160/3606/i/950/depositphotos_36061167-stock-photo-black-cat-playing-with-a.jpg

6 Likes

Completely on your side…that being said…your amazing report and phots could lead the innocent down a slippery slope…:sunglasses: :rofl:

3 Likes

@profmatt, with the help of certain enablers, is getting close to providing the kind of shenanigans that I thought had been relegated to the status of legend…:star_struck:

5 Likes

A contact has already been made with ICE including that photo…just sayin’

1 Like

Speaking of legends…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Again, thanks for all the photos and commentary…enjoying the ride so far…

1 Like

Maybe I will snip some catnip off my plant to entice you to pop in again.

1 Like

How was Day 5?

4 Likes

Thanks! Was wondering about the update!