Trip report J185

22 Likes

Was he there to inform you that you could save 15% or more on your car insurance?

15 Likes

ROFL!!! I. Can’t. Stop. Laughing. Will @profmatt understand the reference?

5 Likes

Funnily enough I’m sitting in the den watching tv. American tv is weird. I don’t know how you people put up with it.

7 Likes

Yes. He lived in the US for three years. Legally. Ahem.

9 Likes

Some of us don’t, really. Right now I have DirectTV but usually we don’t watch any TV. We prefer Amazon Prime and Netflix.

8 Likes

Glad to hear it. I knew you lived here at one time. Just wasn’t sure when that was. GEICO may not have been around depending on when you were here.

1 Like

If you’ve read my posts you should know I would see your report since I obsessively have my filters set so that I see all threads, not categories!

6 Likes

I agree. Anymore, we either watch DVDs or stream. Anything we watch from TV we record so we can fast-forward through the commercials.

Of course, advertisers are on to us about that one, so now we get product placements in the TV shows themselves, as if we’re idiots and can’t tell.

This, I’m afraid, is capitalism at it’s finest. The irony is that it used to be that commercials were allowed us to get TV for free. But then cable came along and figured out how to charge us for this free television. And now we happily pay for cable, PLUS the streaming services like Netflix.

But I will admit, I used to adore, “Are You Being Served?”

5 Likes

Oh yeah. I’m now exactly half-way through my vacation.

2 Likes

:*( This makes me very sad. In a few days you’ll be going home and I can’t live vicariously through you.

6 Likes

True. But we mostly watch things are our many streaming services.
But some British TV is weird too. I still distinctly remember this car commercial I saw last summer that basically had a mommy and daddy car traveling through life I guess and then all of sudden a baby car pops out of the mom’s trunk. My 10 year old was like “Mom did that car just have a baby?” Yep, I guess it did.

3 Likes

Waiting for Lyft. Big thunder clap. Glad I did the outdoors stuff on Tuesday.

Hopefully dry tonight for Nighttime Lights.

5 Likes

Told you. Blizzard is coming, for sure.

kiss_weather

All that red? Don’t let it fool you. Pure snow.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if by the time you reach Hogsmeade for the nighttime lights show, it is covered in snow.

6 Likes

I’m figuring I’ve been lucky so far and today is not a crucial day. Would like some dry spells for Rip Ride Rockit and Nighttime Lights.

But have other more weather-critical days coming up. Today will be about rushing from indoor ride to indoor ride. Luckily UOR has plenty.

Oh, and there will be no stopping to smell roses.

3 Likes

Have packed two ponchos, lol.

1 Like

I agree US TV has become incredibly bad. All of the good science and culture channels have turned into ridiculous reality fests with bad repetitive background guitar chords.

When I switched back to Verizon last year I was a bit excited to get BBC America back as a channel, after years of not having it. But apparently, the BBC America programmers think we all want to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation 23.5 hours a day. Urgh, and I’m a big ST fan.

Funny thing: When I was 16 and on a trip in the UK many years ago, we were in London the week leading up to the royal wedding (Diane & Charles, we weren’t there for it, just a coincidence.) I was looking forward to watching all of the shows that I only had limited access to on our local PBS station here in NY… and just about ALL of the channels in that hotel played nothing but American movies and Columbo. The whole week.

Guess they thought we hottentots needed the home culture piped in. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hmm. Have I made a horrible mistake? It’s really raining. And I’ve got my sock-and-styrofoam sneakers on. I guess we’ll finally find out how well they deal with serious rain. (Would have worn the suede but for the blister situation.)

2 Likes

Or, you could always by some sandals. :wink:

5 Likes