Thread J27

Yes…in my book, worse.

Oh I would never use it to refer to someone who wasn’t a convicted sex offender. In that sense it’s offensive, absolutely. Obviously you’d be upset if your son was being falsely accused of anything but especially that.

1 Like

But, what if it is spoken self-referentially when inferring what he thinks OTHERS might be thinking of HIM based on a set of unrelated circumstances?

It is all so very confusing.

But we do spell it properly! :laughing::laughing: See below:

1 Like

That’s because they struggle with spelling over there. :wink:

I love all you Brits, please don’t take offense. :smile:

6 Likes

The debate over proper spelling and pronunciation is a bit futile, since it isn’t really a matter of being right or wrong, but simply a reflection of cultural isolation for a couple hundred years. And American English is further a problem because it has taken on the traits of several immigrant populations in that time as compared to Britain. (Not that there aren’t immigrants in Britain, but American is, as they say, the great melting pot!)

I think with the “smallness” the world is taking on due to the internet and such, we’ll will gradually see a melding of differences.

I am always right! Just ask my husband.

6 Likes

If someone chooses to use it about themselves, I don’t see what right anyone else has to be offended. But it’s pretty hard to offend me. So maybe I’m not the best judge.

4 Likes

Typical American, assuming your spelling is the best spelling :wink:

1 Like

Me too! I cannot understand why so many people are offended by so many things…we must be missing the gene that lets us feel offended.

3 Likes

Oh. This makes me want to make a terrible joke so badly! But, I must hold it in. But I can’t. I just can’t.

Okay. Here goes.

It must have gone missing in the pool!

2 Likes

That’s such a dad joke :joy:

1 Like

Well my closet is filled with these shirts, you know:

:laughing:

3 Likes

Was that a typo? :wink:

1 Like

Would you in jest ever refer to yourself as a paedophile? (I acknowledge that some people seek to normalise paedophilia by argueing that it is a normal sexual preference, but let’s set that to one side for one moment). If you were an homosexual man would you ever in jest describe yourself as a paedophile? So why would you take things a step further, in jest, and use a nasty slang, offensive word for paedophile ? I am not attacking you @ryan1, but just trying to answer your question. :confused:

No but it did autocorrect to sad, which doesn’t quite fit with joke!

I know there is some controversy surrounding the MAGA hats…but I propose a new T-shirt/hat: MARA.

Make America RIGHT Again! :wink:

1 Like

I was merely referencing @profmatt, who is the one who make the self-referential comment to begin with!

2 Likes

I know and I know that this isn’t the real world but when people use there own names and are easily identified/googled etc then I think that they need to be a little bit careful about what they write.