Thread J27

I didn’t want you to think I was attacking you.

Well, no worries in that regard. First, I don’t swear. At all. I don’t even use alternative words for swear words. I also don’t (knowingly) use any slang term that would be considered derogatory toward another, “deserving” or not.

I did find the discussion of this term interesting, though, and educational.

47 year old here who loves her character meals. Restaurant.

6 Likes

I am 43 and love character meals. Personally, I don’t care one single bit about where it lands in the book, so long as it’s indexed and I can easily find it. And as a side note, can I just say that I absolutely hate that the word “snowflake” has taken on that definition? “Snowflake” should only be used when referring to precipitation! :snowflake:

3 Likes

So what DOES snowflake mean? Enquiring and inquiring Mexicans want to know…

From Wikipedia:

“Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are over-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.”

It hit the height of popularity after the United States’ last presidential election and is generally used as a term for extreme, usually young, politically liberal individuals.

1 Like

The world that we used to know,
People tell me it don’t turn no more.
The places we used to go,
Familiar faces that ain’t smilin’ like before.
The time of our time has come and gone,
I fear we’ve been waiting for too long.

5 Likes

I am learning so many new insults today!!!
:rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Glad I could expand your horizons! :rofl:

Actually, Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are over-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions, well before any elections and has no bearing on political view

1 Like

That’s what she said, and it’s hard to argue that it hasn’t been much more commonly used since the presidential election. I used to see it a couple of times a month at most, now it’s more like 20 times a day. Often accompanied by the word liberal.

1 Like

The reference to the past election implies it began in 2016 (it gained popularity well before)and it is solely used as a diversive name for those whose politics are counter to the user. It isn’t. I can smell a snowflake at their first whine about their feelings.

1 Like

She didn’t say that though, so I’m not sure why you feel the need to correct her.

2 Likes

I’m stepping out of this now, but you should read what I wrote before you comment. I never said it began in 2016, I said it hit the height of popularity. And if you do internet searches for that term with that definition, you will see that it has increased vastly in popularity since 2016, though it was most certainly around before then.

1 Like

The good news is that I took the poll on Twitter and “Restaurants” is winning by a landslide!

6 Likes

It means frozen precipitation. You don’t have it in Mexico. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. (Worried about tone, so making it clear this is supposed to be a joke).

:rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

How did you do that trick of hiding things unless I click on it?!?!

It’s a spoiler.

Usually square bracket followed by the word spoiler then ended with a square bracket.

Type your text

And at the end, square bracket then a back slash followed by word spoiler and a square bracket.

I’ll see if it works now!

Here’s the hidden joke

You’ll see it blurred out on the text itself.

1 Like

Well shock me! [/]

Gosh I hope that works. Lol

Yeah it didn’t work