Thought M18

I know you are not asking for apologies but I feel that I owe you one because I believe my post was the proverbial last straw. In all honesty I was not trying to belittle you in any way. I also totally get becoming annoyed by a repeated joke no matter in what good jest it was intended. I think I was attempting to be witty and name drop one of the coolest kids on the forum and it completely left the wrong impression. I am not a name dropping kind of person but I think because I have become WDW obsessed I am checking into the forum each day and I read a lot of the same posters. So I included you in my post as a way to extend community and had no intention of causing ill feelings. I really love your posts and always find them engaging and full of great info to learn from.
And I myself truly am constantly changing my plans with everything on my trip. Sometimes it makes my head spin. Sometimes I suddenly realize something that then seems so obvious that I canā€™t believe I had not seen it before. I then wonder is it this hard for everyone? It really is a huge puzzle to figure out but a fun one. Iā€™m hoping my efforts are all worth it in the end. From your posts your trip sounds utterly amazing and I am totally confident that you will have the most magical time. I hope you keep us posted on all of it!

7 Likes

Um, I definitely donā€™t think you are an idiot. I secretly am jealous of your spreadsheets. You should have seen my notes while deciding trip dates, etc.

I actually love the play by play of your changes. It helps me rethink our plans as well!

You add a lot of color (sorry, colour) to the forum. And I am really looking forward to your trip report!

7 Likes

Donā€™t you dare apologize for trying to get your trip perfect seƱor @profmatt! Donā€™t you dare! A trip to WDW is expensive and that alone is worth trying to milk as much joy from it as possible. But it is so much more! For almost everyone here it is a dream and we all have different versions of it. Donā€™t apologize for trying to find your dream version and donā€™t apologize if itā€™s not the same as mine. If someone doesnā€™t like your multiple questions and decisions, they are quite free to not read it. I am certain your doubts are what hundreds of have had at one point and still have. The answers to this post testify that some of us do get your humor, if some donā€™t, again, they are free to avoid any of your posts.
Now, finally, are you an idiot? Weā€™ve all been called idiots for visiting WDW so many times over and over. If this makes me an idiot I proudly love and own it! And you should too!! Youā€™re one of us!

10 Likes

Iā€™ve already said it somewhere else (umm, that Ohana vs. Kona thread, I believe), but I love that youā€™re vocal about changing your plans. Everyone else is doing it, too. So while people may poke fun, know that theyā€™re doing the same thing. CLs change and they change their park days, ADRs, etc. They get a bonus and add an extra. A kid (or spouse or friend!) speaks up two days before they leave about their NEED to do such-and-such and bam! plans are out the window. Everyone else is changing things up, too. You are not an idiot, youā€™re just a Liner. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

As everyone else has said - we all change our plans a million times, I just have to talk them through with the other people on my trip so I donā€™t end up talking them through here. But I do appreciate hearing about your plans (and other peoples!) as they inform so much about what I want to do on my trip.

4 Likes

I also love your posts and find them immensely helpful too. You ask all the questions Iā€™m apprehensive to ask, and thanks to many helpful Liners, you get great, informative responses, so your threads serve as a great reference for all of us silent ones and future readers.

To give you an example, as I debate which dessert party (ok, parties) to do, I have referred to your detailed summary of your party experiences no less than 10 times in the last 2 months. So thank you and donā€™t stop!

3 Likes

I had to Google that :open_mouth:

Me too!

2 Likes

just think, you really could be an idiot, like the person who is posted on a forum that they were going shortly and was it worth buying the fastpass+, or the person who had the dining plan but hadnt booked any meals etc. we all have different levels of OCD, or need to be prepared etc. If people dont want to read your posts they can move on down the list of 1000s of posts. the fact that you get so many replies is an example of how many people are interested whether they take your seriously or not.

11 Likes

Well, OK, you got me there ā€” it was. BUT itā€™s really not your fault. I woke up this morning and thought, ā€œoh good God, what an attention seeker! what a drama queen!ā€ You werenā€™t being malicious, you were being playful :slight_smile:

I suffer from depression and Iā€™m in a little bit of a funk right now. Ironically this is partly precisely because I have no more changes to make! My plan is done! And all there is left is to wait 49 more days. Which suddenly feels like a really long time . . .

6 Likes

Sounds like you need a distraction.

So here are some suggestions. I really like the resort and room videos on the AllEars site (allears.net). Take a look at the Contemporary resort one. Also look at Davidā€™s DVC site for the same.

Also have a look at resorttv1. They do park walk around (and resort) videos, with commentary and that can be fun to get you back into the mindset of being at WDW.

Also if you have favourite rides, or want to see Wishes (RIP) and compare it to HEA, then try martinsvids.net I watched his Splash video the other day, because it occurred to me that last time I was so dreading the upcoming drop (yes, Iā€™m a total wimp), I didnā€™t actually see much. Unfortunately, now I canā€™t get one of the stupid, annoying songs out of my head, but that is irrelevant right now.

Or if you want to see how good the original Imagination ride was, or look at previous rides, or see how the Epcot pavilions were developed, thatā€™s where to go. Again, I watched Timekeeper last night, which Iā€™ve seen in Paris (a long time ago) but never got to see the Orlando one.

6 Likes

I just put the tv on and theyā€™re showing the ā€œNoelā€ episode of The West Wing.

Iā€™m not a religious person ā€” alas ā€” but itā€™s almost like someoneā€™s sending me a message. Itā€™s a favourite episode of mine because it speaks to me. Josh (an advisor to the president) has suffered a trauma (he was shot during an attack on the president). He starts lashing out at everyone and they send him to a therapist. The therapist explains to him that he has PTSD. It turns out that music sets of a rage in him because it reminds him of the sound of police sirens the night he was shot.

I have something similar in my life. Certain things set me off in a similar way.

So there really isnā€™t anything for anyone to apologise for. Itā€™s my thing, not yours.

Those are actually some great suggestions. I was worried youā€™d lead me down a path of discovering new things I could do during my trip, which would cause me to try to fit them in, and then the whole schedule would be up in the air again!

6 Likes

Iā€™ll admit to not having read all the other responses, but Iā€™m pretty sure I know what they say anyway.

Nobody thinks youā€™re an idiot, you always explain why youā€™re making a change and we all get that itā€™s for a good reason. Yes itā€™s funny because you post about it 10 times a day, and your posts are funny anyway because youā€™re a funny guy! But the teasing is honestly just because weā€™re all so fond of you.

7 Likes

I LOVE resorttv1. Tim Tracker is another great one.

In the last weeks before my most recent trip I watched so many YouTube videos! Several a day. Plus music loops and podcasts. When the planning is done a Liner needs something to occupy that energy.

1 Like

Supportive :heart:s to you and everyone else here. Sharing yourself with strangers on the Internet is complicated. I agree with everyone else. Youā€™re awesome and itā€™s all good.

FWIW, I used to share more of myself here, and talked a lot about my own struggles with anxiety, depression and social quirkiness quite openly. People are generally kind, and I truly believe that sharing can help others who deal with similar issues. It can also open you up to responses that are less uplifting, but thatā€™s ok too. Being vulnerable is hard, and every interaction provides an opportunity to grow and learn about ourselves.

9 Likes

@profmatt, I came back to this thread to make one more point. I, for one, spend way too much time on this chat because I want to talk about wdw ALL THE TIME. Really- all the time. It used to be that my son would listen. He is grown now, so he rolls his eyes and says, ā€œmom, I trust what ever you planā€. In theory, on ok response- but it does not feed my obsession. It does not meet my need. The people here support my craziness. Please know, I love hearing about your plans. I am trying to figure out where I can fit the WaT into my plans- keeping in mind that I am planning trips through 2020 right now.

7 Likes

My obsession used to be Apple products. I was on the MacRumors forums all the time. All the time. The weeks leading up to the release of the Apple Watch were like the weeks leading up to a WDW vacation.

But now I never go there. I come here. Itā€™s like Iā€™ve cured myself of one obsession, only to pick up another.

The difference is that I genuinely feel like I have friends on here. It really is extraordinary how friendly it is. (And, as Iā€™ve said before, it seems to be unique to the website. The app is not as comfortable a place.)

As you know, Iā€™ve booked my June 2019 holiday. Iā€™ve never in my life booked anything that far in advance. And I already have a rudimentary spreadsheet for it.

Crazy! But fun!

10 Likes

Having another trip plan makes the end of the first one so much more bearable!

1 Like

You can count me with those who thoroughly enjoy your posts. Iā€™m not one to post a lot on here, but Iā€™ve found your posts in particular helpful and entertaining.

I have few friends in real life as well and find the internet the best space for when I want to express myself. Thereā€™s no backspace in real life, and social interaction has never been my forte. That said, I do enjoy feeling part of a community and that there are others who think like me and love the things I love, people who get me in some way. TP is great for that.

Iā€™m with you on the obsessions as well. My DH is a very laidback guy. He doesnā€™t set goals, he doesnā€™t have motivations to improve in ways that I do. Which isnā€™t such a bad thing, because then when I shift gears he happily (for the most part) just comes along for the ride. But he also doesnā€™t quite understand why Iā€™m wired the way I am. I assume youā€™re an INTJ. I am as well, (although I count myself a lazy one). My first obsession was fashion, then religion, then Apple, then makeup, now WDW. Thereā€™s always something in my life Iā€™m pouring over nearly 24/7, trying to learn everything I possibly can, strategizing, agonizing, until I feel Iā€™ve perfected it, just in time for something else to come in and take its place. Sounds odd, and no one else seems to understand expect some people online lol. The people I donā€™t understand are those who love the same thing their entire lives, or those who have always been a certain way and they never change. I need change! Thereā€™s so much in this world to learn and experience, and I canā€™t imagine not having a desire for that. Maybe weā€™re the crazy ones. But thatā€™s ok with me.

5 Likes

I wasnā€™t sure if I am or not, but when I looked it up and read the following, I knew that was me.

Rules, limitations and traditions are anathema to the INTJ personality type ā€“ everything should be open to questioning and reevaluation, and if they see a way, INTJs will often act unilaterally to enact their technically superior, sometimes insensitive, and almost always unorthodox methods and ideas.

Iā€™m definitely an act first, get permission later kind of a guy. If I donā€™t believe in the rule, I wonā€™t follow it. And I know I can be insensitive ā€” especially in, say, political arguments when I know Iā€™m right and everyone else is wrong and/or stupid!

2 Likes

Iā€™m an INFJ - all of the obsessiveness with bonus feelings!