The ride overhaul game

Oh I don’t want them to ever change it! I love ToT just the way it is. I’m just curious what Pixar theme would work with a drop tower in theory.

1 Like

Going with the Monster’s Inc idea, I could see the experience being based on a tour of the Monster’s Inc. facilities, including a “Behind the Doors” experience where you get to crossover into the human world. So rather than an “elevator”, you are entering a vehicle that takes you through an actual door into a child’s room where you see some of the laugh-inducing comedy. Something happens, and you go too far into the world, and then have to find a way out, where you keep looking out different doors until you find the one that is the correct one.

2 Likes

I will agree that Horizons is considered to be popular now.

I will also agree with @Randall1028 about Horizons. I avoided it and the other one, World of Motion. Universe of Energy only worked because of the traveling theater into Sulfurland. As far as I could tell, during many visits in the 80s - as an adult - World of Motion and Horizons were Spaceship Earth repeats.
Imagination and Wonders of Life were inspired.

While we’re talking about GotG and Quill’s references, I’ve been figuring they were some sort of gag on the part of James Gunn. I’m quite happy to be corrected on that regard.

I do recall, in 6th grade, how surprised and amazed my teacher was that I knew what movie the song “Do Not Forsake Me, oh my Darling” is from which surprised me as I’d known that song for years, at that point.

But then I wake up most mornings with some melody running around in my noggin. Maybe Peter Quill is just meant to be a hooked on a tune kinda guy.

1 Like

Is Up Pixar?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Oooo. Good one.
But I also think Inside Out would work.
Not 100% sure bc I never finished the movie.

2 Likes

They’ve already announced that it will be redone as Princess and the Frog. I would prefer it stay the way it is, but as long as it’s well done with the same number of AAs (and not a bunch of screens) I think it will be an OK transformation.

Agree. More animals are needed here

Something needs to be done with KRR; it’s the most boring raft ride I’ve been on in any major theme park - it doesn’t even do a very good job ay getting you wet (ironic as KRR in CA is probably the best). Although I would really prefer to keep IPs out of AK, a Jungle Book overlay would probably work here as the movie is set in India

I have also wished for this, The idea if making it the primary entrance to SWGE is impractical due to crowd issues, but it would be cool if the final destination on all of the ride variants would be Black Spire Outpost, so when you exited the ride you would enter the outpost, but I’m not sure I would want to demolish quite as much of the park as you propose.

I’ve lost track of which ride is being referred to, but if it’s Imagination, if an IP has to be introduced, Inside Out is the only one that I can think of that might match the theme of the pavilion. Personally, I’d like to see something brand new - not linked to an IP - created for the space using the latest in AA and visual effects technologies.

1 Like

But I don’t think anything has been put into the works for MK. If they give PatF some other space, they could use Pocahontas here. PatF doesn’t fit Frontierland.

4 Likes

Agreed.

I’m all about IPs and making sense.
Pocahontas works for both.
Though leaving it alone works as well.
I do like changes. But It’s my DD’s favorite - she’s always loved Brer Rabbit.

3 Likes

Reimagine :wink:

2 Likes

That ride (minus the big splash bc I hate a wet butt) is one of my favorites because of this. We watched the movie a lot as a kid with the grand parents and I loved Brer Rabbit so much.

Oh, I thought they were doing both in order to get rid of the “offensive” Uncle Remus connections. I agree that FatF is not a close fit to Frontierland (it works better in DL as an extension of New Orleans Square), but the stories in the current version don’t really fit either as they are from the “Deep South” - but the mid 19th century timeframe of both makes it kind of work.

But if you apply the same logic to Pocahontas you run into the same issues as the film is set in VA, over 2 centuries before the time frame represented in Frontierland. The fact is, Disney has never done an animated film set in the “classic old West” of the mid 1800s. Trying not to be pedantic, but back in the 60s when FL in DL was being completely redesigned there originally was going to be a dark ride, the scope of POC, that would tell the story of the old West in lighthearted way; a lot of the preliminary artwork was actually done for it before Disney decided to scrap the idea in favor of BTMM. Perhaps they could resurrect some of those ideas and make it not themed to an IP…

But then again, Liberty Square is supposed to represent mid 18th century New England, and there were certainly no Mississippi river boats there, so Disney has not always been overly concerned about details like this. If you think about it, AL in MK is an inelegant mix of African and Asian jungle, Polynesia, Caribbean, and Arabian Nights themes.

4 Likes

It was announced but no plans, that I am aware of, have actually been put in place for Splash at MK.

I agree Pocahontas isn’t “western” but it does fell more western than PatF. Maybe they will just do away with then name Frontierland all together and comeup with something both PatF, CBs, and BTM can all fall under. Or they’ll just stick PatF there and tell us to deal with it :joy:

3 Likes

Or better yet, just call it all Adventureland and nix the Frontierland. That might help PatF tie in better.

1 Like

I mean I guess, if by “popular” one means “the sacred object central to the soul-screams at the Great Betrayal Disney committed against its own legacy by a cadre of born-too-late Twitter curmudgeons who were at best toddlers when the ride was closed but the building yet to be demolished.”

1 Like

Inside Out is such an amazing movie, and I would say that I think it is Pixar’s BEST movie in so many ways. Having said that, I wouldn’t call it my “favorite”. But much as I think Beauty at the Beast is Disney’s best, and yet I love TLM more…Inside Out is arguably a masterpiece. BTW, you HAVE to get to the end of the movie in order to fully appreciate it.

No - I can’t even try again. The parents are so -bleh- and the kid is so - bleh - and I did try twice.

I think Up is masterpiece worthy. But I can’t watch it again and again. I will probably never watch it again. But I will always recommend it.

1 Like

Let’s just say that it is a great example of a movie’s version of the unreliable narrator. The end makes everything before it become clear.

But, I also agree that just because something is a masterpiece doesn’t necessarily give it re-watchability. I mean…Sixth Sense was absolutely brilliant…the first time through! A second watching maybe allows you to appreciate it in a different way…but after that, you can consider it a masterpiece but never have a desire to watch it again. Inside Out kind of falls under that. Your example of “Up” does, too. I watched it and loved it…but…I haven’t really cared to watch it again.

1 Like

Yes - when it comes to rewatching things it is usually lighthearted, laughter-inducing movies. Or something that reminds me of special time in my kids’ lives.

Yes - just “old America” seems to be the theme.

Apple Dumpling Gang is a family favorite.

1 Like