The ride overhaul game

I just checked the Wikipedia page…but nothing in there suggests it was closed in 1991. But who knows…they probably had brief periods of closure due to sporadic refurbishments, which wouldn’t be listed there.

1 Like

There’s a chestnut from the legal world that seems apropos as this “discussion” reels out:

When the facts are on your side, pound the facts.
When the law is on your side, pound the law.
When neither is on your side, pound the table.

2 Likes

Thanks for checking :+1:t2:

It closed because it lost its sponsor (GE). There were also stories going around that there was structural damage appearing due to the unstable ground on which it was built.

I rode it many times in the 83-86 timeframe and is one of my favorite attractions that has ever been in EP (The hands down number one was the original Journey into Imagination). It was, by “popular acclaim” one of the most popular attraction in EP. It was an unusually complex ride system and frequently had shut-downs during the course of a day. I was in my 20s, so that doesn’t support the childhood memory argument, but I have something that does.

I was 8 when I went to Expo 67 in Montreal, which I think is a fair analogy to EP - at least when it opened. I remember virtually everything about Expo 67 and to this day when looking at pictures can name almost every building. I’ll take it one step further… I was 5&6 when I went to the 1964-65 NY Worlds Fair and can remember almost as much about it as I can about Expo 67.

So I still think that the backstory of why the ride is located in EP is pretty far-fetched, I do believe that the memory issue is valid.

2 Likes

And I’ll add, as one of the few people in this discussion that has actually ridden it, as amazing as it was in 1983, if it magically reappeared in 2022 it would seem terribly dated and would need considerable technological updates.

FWIW, it was originally conceived as a “sequel” to GE’s Carousel of Progress. The Carousel Showed the history from the 1910s to the present (which worked well in the 60s when it was first built, but was never really successful in the following decades) and Horizons would then show how GE could revolutionize the future.

1 Like

I agree. I’d love the MCU in the parks and think DHS is the best fit.

2 Likes

Tomorrowland speedway. Make all the cars electric so they don’t asphyxiate riders. Cars would be an easy IP for it or Wreck It Ralph.

4 Likes

I do recall a few years back on a podcast they were thinking of redoing the whole sunset side of Hollywood studios into a Pixar theme.

One of the re-imagined rides would have been RnR. They would keep the ride mechanism, but turn it into Monster’s Inc. You would ride through seeing hundreds of hanging doors floating around in the dark. It was an interesting concept.

I am thinking they took one of the ideas they had for this side of the park and put into the Car’s show they have now behind RnR.

3 Likes

oh yeah, I know. I was just being a wise guy. But my ultimate point is Guardians is bad and you should feel bad :wink:

thanks for coming to try TED talk.

1 Like

I wonder if they had an idea for ToT that would be Pixar themed? :thinking: Wall-E? A Bug’s Life? Incredibles?

1 Like

Inside Out?

1 Like

Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation

Also, my mom worked for GE Corporate. So the last time we rode Horizons in 1991 (I was 12), we got to go into some fancy lounge, which is what I imagine that DVC lounge must be like now.

So I realize I have a memory from a but older than Peter Quill, but I actually have a stronger memory of Horizons from when I was exactly 8 - I remember my dad pointing at the video phone calls and saying that would happen in my lifetime and I thought no effing way. And here we are. Every dang day. Also the smell of the oranges.

Also, false.

7 Likes

I always heard the last line as

When neither is on your side, argue the constitution!
LOL!

1 Like

Guardians looks like a great ride. It’s in the wrong park IMO, but it looks like a great ride.

4 Likes

oh I’m truly hoping it’s an even better ride than Rise and FOP put together. I want the hype for the ride to be real and warranted. And it sounds like it is, so I’m thrilled for that.

And honestly, anything that gets Epcot’s hours back on track (opening up at 9AM with the other parks) I’m even more on board for.

lookit your confidence in being so wrong :wink:

3 Likes

Not sure if you’ve been paying attention, but Epcot has been opening at 8:30 AM (with 8:00 AM Early Entry for resort guests) regularly for a few months. I suspect that will continue with this ride opening.

1 Like

i haven’t, but that’s good to hear.

Edit: Actually, it looks like it’s closing early now (9PM) daily. So the hours are still jacked up.

(I expect/want Epcot to close no later than 10PM on normal days and 11PM on weekends. Basically the same as MK’s hours. )

1 Like

No. NO. NO

5 Likes

I agree with you. I feel like ToT is as perfect of ride as you can possibly get. Why mess with perfection??? Yes, I know Disneyland’s version did so…but that was a bit different, since the ToT there was an inferior implementation that, as I understand things, the GotG conversion improved upon greatly. (Then again, it doesn’t help that I’m not at ALL A GotG fan. I watched the movies so that I could follow along with the MCU, but didn’t really like them.)

3 Likes

Jungle Cruise major refurb or rethemed Princess and the frog, zootopia, Moana, Alice in Wonderland- it is just soooo dated and boring if you don’t have an excellent tour guide with a working microphone and speakers

Splash Mountain (Im ok with the current theme but if they must change it) redone as Pocahontas

Tommorowland Speedway redone with electric hover crafts

Buzz redone with Marvel theme- pick your character type shooter ride

AK Dinoland needs to be redone to a South American area. You can add Encanto here where PW was (yes, new build, had to throw this in :grin:). The boneyard can be rethemed as ruins and Triceratop spin can be rethemed to animals of the Amazon.
I don’t mind Dino itself. So could also be cut off and kept with the rest of the area rethemed to South America.

KRR redone as Jungle Book Adventure

Bugs Life redone to conservation film with interactive elements, maybe branded National Geographic- but just not scary.

3 Cs in Mexico needs CoCo

HS needs the biggest overhaul IMO- it feels like everything was an after thought. The lack of continuity really bothers me.
I want Star Tours to be the entrance to Galaxy Edge, which means Grand Ave needs relocation :grimacing: Muppets should become a Star Wars themed comedy show that involves guest participation. Base line tap becomes SW themed. Mama Melrose becomes a SW themed signature restaurant and Pizza Rizzo becomes SW themed QS.
Now for the rest of my plan to work- Walt Presents needs to move where Star Wars Launch Bay is and SWLB moves to where ABC Commissary is now and the Walt Presents current space needs to become Pizza Planet and the new entrance to TSL.
Voyage of the Little Mermaid gets rethemed to Muppets Show.
And something can be done with RRC but IDK what.

There are A LOT of great ideas I read already.

3 Likes