The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

3 Likes

Also interesting that the first time it happened was at AK - where probably fewer people buy G+? Which, in turn, would suggest a lower threshold maybe for whatever the metric is?!

Edit: ignore this! I just saw the snip and assumed it was AK only! But selling out in every park raises other questions on metrics?!

2 Likes

G+ is a WDW-wide purchase - itā€™s not park-specific. In practice, unless you have hoppers, your use of G+ will be limited to the park you have a reservation for - but the purchase is for all of WDW, and if you have hoppers you can use it anywhere.

Btw, you have the coolest forum avatar Iā€™ve ever seen!

5 Likes

Itā€™s not sold per park.

4 Likes

This seems to make a lot of sense.

3 Likes

I concur.

5 Likes

Ceasing sales of Genie+ is a guest-centric action, even if it is good for Disneyā€™s bottom line long-term (by giving guests a better overall experience). So I applaud them for that, at least.

7 Likes

Sundayā€™s actual CL data is in: A 9 overall, so very busy, but thereā€™s been busier during Xmas week and 1st week of Jan.

4 Likes

Yes, interesting - I had always assumed it was linked to the reservation system so had quotas per park. Clearly not!

And thank you!! :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

We saw no noticeable effect on the overall ability to get LLs (neither positive nor negative ā€“ it was the same). We can say with certainty that our families want a significant percentage more LLs on busier CL days (and suspect our human park-goers are roughly the same as all human park-goers).

Knowing those two things (and assuming one), we view this as an Operational Decision.

6 Likes

I concur. Disney likely made a decision to impose a limit yesterday, where previously there was none.

Question in my mind was whether this was a one-off guest sat decision - perhaps in response to complaints received Friday due to rides being down - or the start of a new policy. If the latter, weā€™re likely to see sellouts again whenever demand reaches this level.

5 Likes

Could it also be setting the stage to increase the price again?

5 Likes

Jumping in at the bottom. I rarely pop into this thread since someone told me I am too negative about Genie :wink:

But I did want to share a great resource that I found a little while back. It may have already been shared here and if so my apologies for repetitive info.

Ear Scouts updates his videos constantly to keep up with changes Disney makes to the product and such. His most recent video even made the dang thing look like FUN! Itā€™s good information presented simply and with screen video demonstration for folks like me who are visual learners.

Not looking to step on the toes of those who keep this thread alive. Just offering another help for folks who wonā€™t take away as much just from reading.

7 Likes

SOOO helpful! Thank you!

4 Likes

This! We donā€™t hear much about Rob from Ear Scouts here, but his name comes up a lot on other sites as a go-to resource for the basics. He has a gentle, pleasant vibe that I think helps to demystify G+ā€™s complexity.

9 Likes

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Posting a link to a new Ear Scouts video, to help expand this thread to focus a bit more on the basics and visual learners, as @OBNurseNH helpfully pointed out. Itā€™s 45 mins long, but I think it makes an excellent crash course on G+.

Key Takeaways:

• Spending time refreshing to get a desirable LL or earlier return time can pay dividends. Rob calls it ā€œplaying the Genie slotsā€ :slot_machine:
  • On busy days, breaking into groups of 4 or less when playing the slots for headliner LLā€™s is helpful
  • Make booking G+ a team sport. One person doesnā€™t have to do it all. Let the morning person in the party book the 7AM LL, and let the video gamer in the party play the Genie slots.
  • Disney turns off the LL booking system 30 mins before park close, so donā€™t bother looking for one after that
  • For an extra edge in playing the slots for 1 specific ride, hop back and forth in MDE between the 1st and 2nd screens to refresh. Any time you see on the 2nd screen is ā€œlockedā€ for you, and you donā€™t have to worry as much about someone else grabbing it first. Screenshots here
10 Likes

Unless that person is the only one that knows how phones work and is a control freak cough cough me cough

I watched his video on a booking for a large group on 12/30/22 and it was helpful!

11 Likes
7 Likes

Iā€™m halfway through and I think itā€™s a great video! Definitely worth watching. I think Molly had a similar video last year about the disney slots. This is what I used to do with FP+ so the method is familiar to me. Itā€™s disturbingly addictive though, so Iā€™d like to minimize it!

5 Likes