The Genie Thread! All DLR Info Here

Greetings! First time using a thread, so I apologize for any rookie mistakes. Heading to DLR for 1 day on 6/2/23 (Fri) with the kiddos and doing the Genie + and will buy LL. My question is should I buy the LL now for Mickey and Minnie and Ressisatance or do I do it the day of in the park.
Thanks!

3 Likes

You can only buy Genie+ in advance. Individual Lightning Lanes, including MMRR, must be purchased after entering through the turnstiles of either park on the day of your visit. That is also when you can start booking your first Lightning Lane for Genie+.

Hope that makes sense. Have fun!

2 Likes

Today I was able to buy all three ILLs available.

Also, don’t think it’s really necessary for MMRR as it had short waits in the morning and evening. With Genie+ and ILLs and park hoppers we arrived at 8:24 (5 of us out of the six), got a locker and Starbucks. Rode Space with about a 20 minute standby while we waited for our 6th. Then walked to MMRR for our ILL which I bought in line for Space as soon as our 6th tapped in (she texted me to let me know) but it was down so we walked to Rise which I had also bought ILL for and then it went down. Since we had 6 we did the 30 min standby line for MFSR and got Chewie. Rise was still down but MMRR was back up so we crossed back over and rode that. I kept bumping Indy till I got it to 630 (which didn’t mess up our reup time). After Mickey and Minnie we were gonna do single rider for Matterhorn but they said it was 25-30 so we went to lunch at Carthay Circle where I got RSR ILL (third one) and Guardians LL and Incredicoaster LL. We rode RSR, Incredicoaster and then Guardians and then did single rider for Web Slingers. Meanwhile I had got BTMR LL which we grabbed a pretzel and popcorn and then rode that, followed by Rise, Indy and Haunted Mansion all with LLs. We did Pirates on the way to dinner at Lamplight at 8:20 which gave us a view of WOC - One. Then watched the fireworks as we walked back to Ogas and then rode Matterhorn twice with LL (they let us go twice cuz they pulled us off the track at the end) and on the way out of the park we grabbed a last minute LL for Buzz and an ice cream. 16ish hours, 13 miles of walking, and 14 attractions later and I feel accomplished and beat.

Was I able to buy all three ILLs because of the two breakdowns or is that normal?

2 Likes

The only known instances where someone has been able to buy all three was when there was a breakdown on at least one of them that caused a conversion to an Anytime pass. We had confirmation a few months ago from someone who tried to buy all three without a breakdown that it was not possible to do so. So I think your experience fits the pattern!

2 Likes

And that happened back to back to me. So that makes sense. So I almost wonder if I could have got a fourth

3 Likes

Putting a link of this here as it helps veteran WDW visitors when planning a trip to DLR.

2 Likes

I did my first major refresh of the lead post in a while. I added this helpful section comparing WDW and Disneyland as it relates to LL / Genie+:

3 Likes

If anyone has ideas for other differences to add to the post, let me know!

2 Likes

How about the difference in WHEN a person can buy the Genie+ service, which is used to make bookings for Lightning Lanes? I think:

DLR: can be purchased in advance as an add-on to a new ticket or package purchase, as well as single day purchase on day-of.

WDW: only purchased on day of (currently, that will change in the future but details are ??)

2 Likes

When I was there last year, I couldn’t book in the other park when park hopping until return times reached 11am. Maybe I did something wrong. I’ll check again in Nov.

2 Likes

Hmmm I thought this was only the case for WDW but I could be mistaken. Can @lolabear_la confirm current rules?

2 Likes

Good catch – I’ll add that.

2 Likes

I was surprised by the fact that DL could pick times after the hopping time without LL’s naturally getting there because I understood it went away with WDW’s ability to do the same. But perhaps it did come back once 11am hopping came back? Lemme do a little digging and see if I can find out (aka, go to the FB groups and on chat to see if I see anything).

2 Likes

Per Undercover Tourist…

You can make a Genie+ and an individual Lightning Lane selection for your second park while you’re still in your first park. But there is a change. It used to automatically give you the first time available after hopping is allowed. Now you have to watch the ride you want in the Tip Board and wait until its distribution time says at least 11 a.m. or later and then select it.

3 Likes

Darn. I just changed the verbiage in the lead post. The good news is that 11am is pretty early in the day so it’s usually not a problem.

2 Likes

So I got nothing searching around for explanations of Genie+ on another couple of sources I’ve used to find DL info. Also may I add, your explanation above is by far the most easily laid & digestible explanation of it. By a long shot. And it’s got everything. Really everything you could want to know to get started.

3 Likes

Doesn’t affect anything too much. It just keeps you from booking a 11am G+ for the other park during rope drop as G+ isn’t really needed the first couple of hours of park opening.

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush: It’s been a labor of love. LOL

2 Likes

You’re quite welcome! And this labor of love just means you have to stay here forever. To update in perpetuity. So hope you like it here :laughing:

3 Likes

:rofl:

I guess I’m stuck! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes