The Force Family Strikes Back: A Trip Report

When I eat sweets as my first meal, it must do something really really wild to my blood sugar (I should check it sometime). It just makes me feel so sick - my heart races and pounds and I get shaky as if I were hypOglycemic. I asked DH to stop getting muffins for me (we have done that once a week for a long time) because it leaves me feeling so gross. Hope you’re feeling better soon! Have a good flight!

7 Likes

Yes. That’s actually what it is, very likely. For “normals” (those without diabetes, etc), you can still suffer hypoglycemia if you eat a ton of carbs not balanced with other fats/proteins…particularly on an empty stomach because your body immediately goes, “Ohh! Food!” and starts digesting it very quickly. This causes a brief spike in your blood sugars, which your body overcompensates to by producing TOO MUCH insulin. This leads to hypoglycemia, which is counter intuitive, since you ate a ton of carbs. But this is what causes hypoglycemia in my dad, one of my brothers, and wife. TOO MUCH sugar.

9 Likes

Interesting. I never knew that could happen, honestly!

And there’s a name for it! Reactive Hypoglycemia, What Is It? Symptoms, Causes, Treatment

8 Likes

Boarding is always stressful, but we did a headcount and I think we all made it on the flight. :rofl: I’m a tad worried about our layover in Denver, but if we arrive a little early we should be fine. :crossed_fingers:t3:

26 Likes

Hope you didn’t count the neighbor kid. Did you check if Kevin is on board with you?

23 Likes

14 Likes

Oh no that’s a shame. Lol about the tweezers! I’m in the market for a good penknife for the kids because they’ve just graduated from Cubs to Scouts (late thanks to Covid). I thought I’d struck it lucky when DH brought two complimentary Swiss army knives back from a conference. They were keychain sized and had a one inch blade and a nail file!! :rofl::rofl: That’s not going to cut wood!! :rofl::rofl:

Love those books (kids do too honest :wink:).
That’s deep end or cabin fever based on the colour?? :rofl:

Check under the masks!!! :mask::flushed::rofl:

4 Likes

The DH and I are boarding a flight to Denver right now too! Then we are on to Boston. I’ll look for you at the airport, though guess our flight to there might be longer than yours. Have a great trip!

12 Likes

These books have turned my ADHD dyslexic son into an avid reader! He was so proud of himself for completing one on his own.

14 Likes

We landed in Denver! Thanks to arriving early, our layover will be just over an hour. The gates are right next to each other so should be plenty of time.

I’m in the C gates area. I’ll keep an eye out for you just in case. :slight_smile:

Good guess! He’s says that’s right.

15 Likes

I saw your luggage and started to get a little anxious that there was no stroller! Then I thought, maybe they are renting. But I’m very relieved for you that there was an airport stroller involved. Safe travels the rest of the way!

3 Likes

We do have a stroller but it turns out we really didn’t need it in the airport. Our gates were literally next door. But good for peace of mind. It will be more helpful in Orlando.

21 Likes

Do your kids do okay with just one double stroller? Our kids will be 6, 2 (almost 3), and 1 for our next trip and I’m a little worried about DD6 walking! I’m guessing we’ll end up carrying her some :joy:

2 Likes

It’s a concern but last time she did fine most of the time. We had DD4 swap out occasionally when DD7 was especially grumpy.

A couple random pics from the morning.

33 Likes

We did all of France with a single stroller for both our kids, almost 3 and 6. That worked out fine for us! They switched out a lot. But the mom backpack was also incredibly popular!

6 Likes

TMI :joy:

Have a great trip!!

5 Likes

We are C as well, but just landed and our gate is occupied since we are a bit early. I was this close to seeing those adorable kiddos in person (and of course seeing you and your lovely wife again). I’ll be back in Orlando on Monday (yes I just came home last Monday) but I think you will be home by then?

8 Likes

Please overload us with your kids’ adorableness. Gotta go on with real life. Have a great day!

3 Likes

Oh so close!!! We’re already on our plane. We will be in Orlando only until Saturday so we’ll miss you this time. Chances are we’ll cross paths at Disneyland at some point. Safe travels!

6 Likes

Has he read the Captain Underpants series? He may be more advanced than that now, though if he’s reading Diary. My DS loved them. It was how he got into reading. Before that he wanted nothing to do with books.

6 Likes