Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser - any liners planning to book this?

My pupper demands bed at no later than 10pm. And will also sleep till 11am if I let her. She’s not a morning pup! This is awesome for DH, he can sleep in and not worry about potty time when I work. Aweful for me because if I get out the bed the wrong way I get a growl and sometimes a nip. :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, it’s called storytelling! :joy:

2 Likes

These are extra cost above the reservation. I originally assumed some item of clothing would be included.

I agree 100%. There is a good cross section of people who may want to do this, but don’t wany to do dress up.

I feel like we did not appropriately pause on this detail. Love that you have evening clothes. I personally would do light sabe training in my pajamas at that hour.

7 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

I was only saying that I noticed a difference in new vs old promo material, and assumed that the change was due to Disney responding to pushback from potential guests. I didn’t know if anyone else thought that had changed.

On July 15, 2017, Bob (don’t know which one) was quoted as saying,“From the second you arrive, you will become a part of a Star Wars story! You’ll immediately become a citizen of the galaxy and experience all that entails, including dressing up in the proper attire.”

Now: it seems to be much more come-as-you-are.

4 Likes

I thought costumes were going to be included. Up until last fall I feel like that was what was being implied.

4 Likes

I always had the impression that clothing was up to the guests to decide (meaning they’d have to buy it if they wanted something thematic).

2 Likes

I always thought it was optional, but i also thought it was going to be included if you want it.

I vaguely remember a thread about a promo last year that talked about picking your costume. I’ll try to find it.

I don’t do well with technology, hopefully this links properly:

6 Likes

This was from just a couple weeks ago, complete with pictures and costs.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser/news/01feb2022-disney-begins-selling-outfits-to-wear-on-your-next-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-voyage-at-walt-disney-world.htm

ETA: As with many things with Disney (and in life), it will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I hope that those who really want the hyped up fully immersive experience, complete with costumes and roleplaying, get to have a satisfying time.

2 Likes

Reports are that at least for some dates everything is sold out but XS sizes. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Definitely a difference in the marketing. And interesting thought about whether they are trying to appeal to a different audience, but will end up decreasing the experience for others.

1 Like

From that WDW Magic link I thought this comment was worth sharing as it really gets at the fact that Disney may be balancing two different sets of expectations: those who expect a Live Action Role Play (LARP) experince and those who expect a more typical Disney experience:

ImperfectPixie -

…They’re treating what is supposed to be a LARP experience as if it’s on the same playing field as afternoon tea at the GF or dinner at 1900 Park Fare, when LARPing is in a completely different league. (For the record, I’m not knocking the afternoon tea or dinner - I love dinner at 1900.) Yes, there’s acting involved for the CMs that make those experiences happen, but what makes those fun is that it’s a “show” where the characters pretend they are unaware that the guests are theme park visitors. The guests aren’t part of the story…they’re on the outside, looking in. That’s not what LARPing is…it’s not even close. I think it’s safe to say that Disney didn’t bring on a single person who is an expert in planning LARP experiences, and that they thought the people who plan the in-park character activities would be able to handle this.

As far as the marketing goes…they’re marketing it like they market the theme parks. Commercials showing what everything looks like with an appearance by a character now and then…but there has to be some kind of verbiage, so they threw in a couple of guys talking about much work went into it…But again, people don’t expect to be “part of the story” when they visit MK. I know many of us love behind-the-scenes specials, but commercials and previews of a LARP are supposed to get us excited to actually participate…not feel like a pre-teen making a YouTube video explaining how many hours they spent creating a Lego project and choosing just the right colors. Everything they’ve released so far indicates that they’re looking at the Halcyon the same way they look at Cinderella’s Castle or the Millennium Falcon…and that should send red flags up all over the place.

Edited to add: Maybe the experince will bridge these expectations. But I think it is probably impossible to do in promotions.

6 Likes

This 100%. And in the imagineering round table they discussed people could play along as much as they wanted or not. In our family, my husband and I have carefully thought out outfits. Our 11 year old son has some Star Wars items and I’m not sure our 15 year old daughter will dress up.

I’m very excited to dress up! I have a Padme lake dress I bought from Amazon and just took to the tailor and a super shiny non-Star Wars dress. For day, I have a Holdo dress and a Leia-like white tunic and pants with boots.

9 Likes

That’s really interesting.

I never feel part of the show in the way that Disney intends. I don’t feel like a toy at TSL. I don’t feel like a resistance fighter on ROTR. I find interactions with face characters super-awkward.

The only time I can suspend disbelief is with fur characters.

2 Likes

I love immersion but I never fully suspend disbelief.

Agreed. I have to add, it is with fur characters when I am by myself. If I have an audience, its a no go. And honestly, I was really surpised by the first time I was so moved by characters at the Plaza in DLR.

I will add Star Wars chatacters with masks to this list. And then the whole family plays along. Chewy (technically he is furry), storm troppers, Kylo Ren. Awsome.

3 Likes

These ones are definitely my favorites.

1 Like

I was thinking about this today… why didn’t they designate certain cruises as “more immersive” vs. “more casual” and see what booked up first? Make the “more immersive” cost the most if they wanted to. If they have certain cruise start dates anyway, I assume you maybe stay with others starting with you for some of the things? Even if there is mixing groups in common areas, at least they would get a sense of what people wanted and that you wouldn’t be the lone casual cruiser (or lone person who wanted a LARP experience) in your group.

5 Likes

oh, this is a good idea. If you wanted to LARP and others are in their civies it could ruin the experience.

3 Likes

Or… for the price, offer 3 nights with the middle night being the “Larp” experience, offering a full costume rental shop. After a full day of being in the cruiser, one might feel it would be fun to dress up a night, kinda like formal night on an actual cruise, since they are using that term here and there…

4 Likes

Yeah really can’t see us being in full dress up for the whole time. Will see how it works but id rather be on the muggle side of the spectrum. Only going to tell the kids about 4w before trip (assuming we don’t cancel after reviews) so there’s time to sort costumes if nec.
We do have a nice captain rex helmet sitting around but not sure that’s fit in the suitcases

2 Likes