Southwest change fare thingie is back

Good point.

The kids can all sleep in as can I but DH works the next day. He is still working from home though which gives some flexibility.

I would never typically consider a flight with stops but I keep thinking of those precious hours lost at the parks.

Do you think a delay is a concern when there is no plane change? I havenā€™t ever flown with a stop like that so Iā€™m not sure how it works.

Any time youā€™re back on the ground you could face a delay. Weather, air traffic issues.

I really do avoid it as much as possible

Southwest is really making that difficult these days. :frowning:

2 Likes

I hate to say it but I think Iā€™d go with the 5pm nonstop. Get to RD super early so you feel like you did everything you wanted to do. Nonstops are just a nicer way to end a vacation (in my opinion). If Iā€™m doing the math right the other flight gets in pretty late even without any delays.

2 Likes

Thank you. I hate it too but I think you are right. I wish there was more flexibility in the park reservations right now so that I could switch some days butā€¦ we will just have to make it work!

100% the non stop. Our flights are typically 2ish hours non stop and last week we ended up with layovers coming and going and it was brutal. The 4+ hour travel time (not counting DME), the logistics with littles, the sitting around in uncomfortable airport chairs, and the taking off/landing multiple times is exhausting.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, I just saw this this morning. I agree with the others thoughā€¦ non-stop.

Ok I changed the flight to nonstop. Itā€™s a bummer to lose that extra park time the last day but I think itā€™s the logical and responsible thing to do. Disney brain is a real condition! :joy:

2 Likes

And there went my nonstop flight home.
They put me on a flight with stops an hour later
FTN
If I have to make stops anyway Iā€™m taking the last damn flight out!

Weā€™ll see what happens over the next 7 weeks. If the nonstops by some miracle reappear Iā€™ll take them back, but for now weā€™ll take this instead. We arrive only about 30 minutes later but get to stay for 3 more hours on depart day

2 Likes

DD23 is flying SW from BWI to Portland, ME nonstop on Sunday and back the following Saturday. I keep watching closely to see if her times change but so far so good. She is not interested in checking lol but we are taking her and picking her up from the airport so I need to know of course.

PWM doesnā€™t often have nonstops anyway and typically very few flights. Iā€™ve looked at flying out of there as itā€™s only about 90 mins from me; itā€™s never worth it because there isnā€™t a lot of options. Sheā€™s probably good.

1 Like

That sounds like a win, all things considered!

Not really, but nothing I can do about it. DH and DS are not good at flying. Nonstops are almost always chosen for their benefit more than anything. But if itā€™s not an option what can you do?

1 Like

Oh, that does suck. But at least you get more park time so itā€™s not a complete waste. Fingers crossed no more bad changes!

1 Like

Red bars 6/20-7/17 now. I was able to walk my remaining reservations out to my dates for August!! All set now!

1 Like

I only recently heard about this tip. I need a real flight in August, preferred flight is $179. There is flight available in May for $79. Can I book that flight and then change to the August dates? How quickly after booking the May flight would I know if it can be change to the August dates? Or am I better off booking something closer to the August dates, July, for example? Or could I walk the May flight somehow? Thanks for your help.

You will only be able to make changes if you get a notice from SW that the flight schedule has changed for your original booking date and you are eligile to make a change free of charge (i.e. the ā€œred bannerā€ on the app). Furthermore, the flight you are changing to must be within a 14 day window from the original flight that you booked.

If you are within the window, you may not get any notice or require any flight change, you may just immediately be able to change it.

If you have points to use or you donā€™t mind using cash and possibly ending up with a travel credit you could book the $79 flight in May and see if it has a red bar or watch to see if one appears later. Then cancel the flight if not. But usually they make mass changes (and thus the red bars appear) further out than within the next 30 days. The current interval with free changes allowed is between 6/20-7/17. If you see a good price within that interval you should be able to book and then move it to August. Also, my experience has been that usually they allow changes up to 30 days either way. So, a 7/17 flight can be moved out as far as 8/16. Also note you can move more than once, for instance, if you see a good rate on 6/24 but actually need 8/12 you could book 6/24, move it to 7/15 and then move it to 8/12.