So can we talk about this DeSantis thing for a minute?

I need to be excluded here. I didn’t vote for the governor. The FL state government isn’t a reflection of me :flushed::zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

No one expects every resident in Florida to vote the same way.

I flew American home thru DFW - I was much more comfortable on my flight to MCO on Delta. I don’t think I would fly AA again right now, they were pretty lax in the mask enforcement. If your own staff are not wearing it properly, I’m not going to trust your brand.

I hope WDW keeps the current procedures. I’m supposed to go again in November, but I will cancel if crowds continue increasing.

2 Likes

Masks were not an issue, that I saw on my flight home. I am going back in 2 weeks but now the crowd levels are getting me concerned. Wait time just keep getting longer, i wish they would bring some form of Fastpass back.

1 Like

With regards to restaurant and bar capacity. Mask wearing and social distancing were never a state policy, so local governments can still institute any policy that they want with regards to these. And individual businesses can have any capacity limits that they want, it’s just that governments cannot impose limitations that businesses don’t want.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

I didnt vote for our current Gov either however I do think he’s doing a great job with the handling of Covid. He a very moderate Democrat. I don’t agree with his fiscal policies but he really is listening to his entire state and it seems he doesnt make decisions based on party lines.

2 Likes

In my state they are. I dont follow FL very much. Yes, our Gov said parishes can be more restrictive but not less. He has given a good bit of leeway for parishes to opt-in to less restrictive measures, if their parish meet certain criteria with testing and positively rates.

This is the way it should be. If we’re really serious about the federal vs state system, it should be consistently applied to state vs local. Every locality has different circumstances.

Also, regarding Florida data, they may be misleading in some ways at the margins, but the preponderance of the data shows marked improvement since July, including hospitalizations, which are harder to fudge.

The below is based on data from the COVID Tracking Project. As you can see, positivity % is down below 5%, but hospitalizations are also down significantly.

4 Likes

We’re driving from Texas in two weeks spending the night in NOLA so I can eat beignets lol. I drove to Ohio once for a funeral and Indiana twice this summer to visit my daughter while she spent summer at her dads and we did switch offs by meeting half way in Arkansas. I’d say the risk is much lower driving. Even using restrooms you are spending much less time in confined spaces breathing recycled air. The hotels we are staying at in NOLA have a three day empty policy b/w guests. I highly recommend spending the night and making it a two day drive. We did the full 16 hours this summer every time due to lack of time and it almost killed me every time. The next day I’d be done for the whole day and the last couple of hours of driving felt dangerous we were so tired and we have three drivers (son is 16). 12 hours of driving a day is my personal limit.

3 Likes

I’d add to eat in big cities if you do drive. We saw a much better mask compliance in big cities in regards to food stops and gas stations. We also brought a cooler and food with us.

3 Likes

You are a Texan with proper priorities! :wink:

5 Likes

Are yall staying in the city? They are pretty strict there with resturants. All the Cafe Du Monde’s are open. The one across Jackson Square is the best though, plus all outdoors. The weather should be nice too. Just getting into our Fall!

2 Likes

Of course, we are staying near the French quarter. The Hilton homestead French quarter first which is two blocks from Cafe Beignet on royal street which is outdoors. I actually prefer them to Cafe du Monde. So we’ll walk over in the morning and get our beignets and stop at Killer Poboys on the walk back to the hotel for to go poboys to put in the cooler for a later lunch. On the way back we’re staying at the Hilton Riverwalk and there is a cafe du monde across the street but I think that one is the Riverwalk mall. And there is a Mother’s Poboys within walking district for our return lunch for the cooler. You should see my itinerary because I have all of these tiny travel details included with links to online ordering, restaurant times, etc. Obviously, why I am a touring plans fan! :wink:

6 Likes

PS NOLA is my favorite city in the world so I’m jealous you get to live there and eat beignets and Cajun food year round while listening to live jazz. Seriously green with envy. Lol

3 Likes

I suspect that the survey when you have an on-site reservation already tells them that. I remember questions somewhat related to that.

1 Like

I agree. My favorite hotel in NOLA is the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon St - right across from the other location of Cafe Beignet (Music Legends Park).

Po’ Boys are all well and good, but a Muffalata from Central Grocery is a must.

3 Likes

Oh wait that’s the cafe beignet we are within walking distance of. We stayed there last time but we got a really good deal on the two Hilton’s this time. I love that cafe beignet.

We went there last time. They were good but I prefer poboys in general.

1 Like