So can we talk about this DeSantis thing for a minute?

Friends,
DeSantis announced today that effective immediately, he’s moving Florida to phase 3. This allows bars and restaurants to go to 100% capacity. In fact, restaurants have to petition if they want to keep occupancy BELOW 100%. It also removes restrictions on theme parks. Here’s a link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-desantis-florida-reopens-20200925-f3sr4wk5tncvvkhwr6ua4pereq-story.html%3FoutputType=amp

Not going to lie- this makes me pretty freaking nervous about my trip in Nov. Positive rates are already about 12% right now. This will increase it. I work in health care and have treated covid positive patients etc but with him punching through the opening phases, while the case numbers are still high, is really skewing my risk/benefit analysis into the negative category.

I also am not interested in being elbow to elbow while trying to eat! I can’t imagine this will help tourism. Here’s hoping Disney realizes the optics don’t look good with this plan and chooses to tow the line.

Thoughts?

11 Likes

I live near Disney… Space Coast… and this bothers me too; A LOT! Someone in another thread said Disney wouldn’t change their policies due to the CM contract. I’m hoping so. I’m going Monday… a hooky day.

8 Likes

Yeah… I hope / believe WDW is going to continue operating with the practices in place. They are still struggling and trying to show the country how “safe” they are. My issue is the locals / APs that will go out to bars / clubs & such then come to WDW on the weekends

8 Likes

I’m going to risk saying something… this move seem politically motivated and not science based. That’s based on what I see. I hope I’m wrong!

17 Likes

That’s exactly my concern. It’s one thing to be in a tourist bubble at Disney but the governor essentially perforated the bubble by relaxing local guidelines!

3 Likes

If Disney changes what they have been doing before our December trip, we will be cancelling. We already plan to avoid Disney Springs. We are concerned about indoor dining at reduced capacity. If it goes up, we won’t be eating indoors except carry out in our rooms.

9 Likes

That, I think, is neither risky, nor incorrect. Just consider the source. And you aren’t wrong.
And now I’ll :zipper_mouth_face:

15 Likes

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I hadn’t heard yet about this new change. So I’ve been considering a last minute fall trip. If Disney doesn’t change their policies then I would likely still feel ok. But what will MCO look like? I guess the airlines would have their own regulations.

2 Likes

That’s a good question for travelers. Locals work there. The airlines will have their policies as you noted but… once you’re off the aircraft what will it look like?

3 Likes

This is scary. I am going next month (solo trip) and still plan on going, however I will be watching very closely for our January family trip. The kicker is the plane tix were free vouchers so I don’t think we can change the dates very easily for that.
Desantis is a moron. Disney better push back, hard.

3 Likes

You think?

4 Likes

A few days ago the Mayor of Pensacola proposed lifting the mask requirement. The City Council unanimously voted against this proposal. Not sure what is going to happen now.

5 Likes

he doesn’t believe in science so I doubt is science motivated.

2 Likes

I seem to recall this happening in another state. The mayor tried to overrule the governors orders and it was struck down in court. Not good.
I don’t see how he can control private businesses though.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that FL never had a state-wide mask requirement; local governments had the option to put one in place.

3 Likes

So if we were to make the trip do you think it would be safer to fly into the state or drive? I have a friend who jokingly (but half seriously) proposed driving down to the World. We live in Maine :grimacing:

1 Like

I just flew last month to MCO from BOS. I felt very safe. there was less compliance with masks at MCO, but we weren’t there long, and it wasn’t crowded so we were able to distance.

1 Like

very true. He left it up to the counties. So I’m not sure where that situation stands now.

I think it was already noted that he said that counties could not be more restrictive than his order. Right. But he cannot dictate to private businesses. And in another tread someone shared Disney’s response; basically masks and policy stands. I’m on my phone or I’d link the other comment

3 Likes

This is good news. Just like the federal government let it up to the states to make guidelines, Florida is giving freedom to the local communities and businesses to make decisions. I don’t expect drastic immediate changes, especially at large businesses. We are all aware of the risks, and have had months to learn about the virus, good protocol, and safety measures. This can all be done properly and responsibly, and if not, the consumer/customer will speak up!

9 Likes