Shoes?

I wear WrightSock Double Layer Coolmesh II Tab. My friend got a different brand but same type of socks & the Adrenaline shoes at Dick’s while we were in Orlando in July… She is now a convert on the huge benefit of proper socks & shoes. She made the mistake of wearing sandals that caused blisters so we had to do am emergency shopping trip by Day 2.

3 Likes

Because of this thread, I just bought some WrightSock Double Layer Coolmesh II Tab socks, and some Feetures socks (4 different varieties) to wearwhile running. I tried the Feetures first. I was still recovering from a blister when I tried the Feetures. I was still aware of the blister sometimes while running, but it did not get worse. I don’t think I can make a judgement until I try them after the blister is healed. On the other hand, I tried WrightSock last night, and holy crap they are the most comfortable socks! I completely forgot I even had a blister, and it received zero irritation from that run. I will certainly be bringing my WrightSocks to Disney World this January :smiley:

3 Likes

I was going to do my own post about exactly these socks. No matter what shoes (Usually Asics/Ons ), the socks make a HUGE difference. And these WS in particular. I assume it’s that they are double layer (but still thin), as well as wicking.

Have done large mileage days at DLR and WDW (15+ miles) and no blisters with these.

WS also makes other types of socks, but the double layer are the ones for huge mileage. And I do wear other socks at home as well, e.g., Feetures, Balega. None compare to the WS for touring.

My wife and I like the top of line New Balance. Not the $40 ones, The $100+ ones. There is a huge difference. And if you get caught in a Florida Rain, you’ll need a second pair while the pair dry out.

1 Like

Adidas Ultra Boost the most comfortable sneaker I’ve ever worn.

Keen, Merrell, and Birkenstock are my favorites :slight_smile:

Just ordered a pair for everyone in the family, including my MIL! We did 10-mile days for 10 days in England and the Netherlands this summer, and we all had at least one blister, so I’m hoping this will help!

By the by, there are several “ugly” colors available on clearance at REI. Also…MIL is stoked that a GOOD sock actually comes sized for her size 5 feet! So thanks to everyone on the thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered for me and DH from REI. His weren’t on sale, but at least mine were! (And in case anyone else is looking for a sale sock that isn’t bright, the gray tab style is also on sale.)

Ok, I’m ordering these super expensive socks. LOL. I’m just buying 2 pair. Certainly they will dry in one day hanging in my hotel room?

1 Like

Yes! They dry very quickly!

1 Like

I just checked REI - now it seems that the Men’s socks are on sale, but the women’s aren’t! LOL. I was gonna buy more… but I’ll wait and see if the women’s goes back on sale.

2 Likes

I ended up ordering 2 pair of WrightSock Double Layer Coolmesh II Tab socks (and plan to wash them in my hotel and hang to dry), a pair of mid/upper end ($80ish) New Balance walking shoes and a pair of Crocs (Bistro with the good gripping soles) as my ‘safety shoes’.

My shoes were New Balance as well. I made sure to break them in and wore them with high enough ankle socks that wouldn’t slip down and rub on my ankles.

1 Like

I can’t bear hot feet, so it’s sandals all the way for me. I’ve read good things about Teva’s and Keen sandals. Does anyone have any other recommedations for a sandal wearer like me? In the past I’ve had Merrells and they were fine but after my recent trips (I’m from the UK, so I spend two whole weeks on property) my ankles do get a bit sore after each day.

1 Like

Just spent 7 full days in the parks in the blasted heat and my Tevas didn’t fail me. I’m sticking with them!

1 Like

Everyone’s feet and gait are different, so you have to find what works for you.

I prefer sandals. I know lots of people swear by Chacos, but they don’t fit my feet properly. I have a pair of Chacos-style Tevas (https://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-Sirra-Sport-Sandal/dp/B071WML7NH?th=1)that are AMAZING! Great arch support, cute, and super comfy (wore on our last Disney trip in April, then 6 days in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons).

I will switch into my running shoes (Mizuno) or flip flops (Sketchers yoga mat with thick sole) for around the hotel/resort.

1 Like

In the end, I returned my Amazon NB. I went to my local town to try on shoes, and happened upon a Mom n Pop shop that had ALL their NB on clearance! I ended up with 3 pair for under $150 (I will use them for my daily walkers too). The shoes were $80+ - $100+ styles, so I’m pretty thrilled with the find. I’m breaking them all in, which is a task being only 3 weeks or so out and 3 pair of shoes, but I will have plenty to change out if one pair starts wearing in places.

I also ended with 3 pair of WrightSocks just to make sure they’d dry totally hanging in my room.

Now, my crocs I’m undecided on. The pair I’ve had for years is too big, and quite floppy. The pair I bought JUST fits. They touch the back of my heel. I’m trying to decide if it’s better to have them fit fit or to be roomy and not touch my heel in case I get blisters back there (I tend to, plus I have the Achilles Tendonitis as mentioned- which, obviously, is in my heel as well).

Then again, if I get heel blisters they tend to be up higher than the croc backs and my Achilles (although mine manifests below the actual tendon) is too, of course.

Thoughts?

I almost always get areas that will become blisters if I don’t attend to them. I don’t consider this a footwear fail. I consider this a reflection of overuse.

While there I pay close attention to how my feet are feeling. Where I feel a hot spot developing I waste no time in applying moleskin. If a blister does develop I apply blister band aid (brand name) immediately.

1 Like

The last time i went to WDW was in 2016. Up until that trip the only sneakers i wore were converse & kswiss - both which were not known for their support. The problem i have is that i have a long but skinny foot and most shoe manufacturers assume that if your foot is long, it’s also fat, so i have a big problem finding shoes that fit me properly. Right before my trip i was tired of looking so i settled on a pair of Nikes and really didn’t break them in beforehand. Well it didn’t matter anyway… our 1st full day of our trip i broke my baby toe by stubbing it on a suitcase. I felt like the Nikes would really bother my broke toe and the only other footwear i brought along with me were a pair of Nike gel-bedded flip flops - which i had never worn and only purchased because they looked comfortable and i love flip flops (i dont like hot feet)!
Well I hit the footwear jackpot because these flip flops were awesome! 6 full days at the parks from sun up to sun down and my feet didn’t bother me once!
But good luck doesn’t last forever, going back to WDW next month, been looking for the same Nike flip flops and it appears Nike doesn’t make them anymore. They make another version which hasn’t gotten good reviews so i’m scared to chance it. I did purchase a pair of skechers go walks online (bad idea) and was pissed to find out, though comfortable, the laces are fake :weary: So no way to tighten them around my skinny foot! :angry:
Back to the drawing board - but at least this post has helped me with my next sock purchase!

2 Likes

Yup, you should have bought every pair in existence in your size. Because inevitably anything good ceases to be made!:grinning:

Sketchers now has a ton of different shoes. I discovered gowalks several years ago and they fit me perfectly…until they changed the foot bed. Then my size was too small but the next size too big. I have a store near me, so now I have to try on a bunch of pairs to find which might fit.

2 Likes