Sadness over California (at WDW)

Cruise passengers pay for it. DME was free.

2 Likes

you can call it anythin ya want… until it’s referred to as “SNA” you might as well be speaking Klingon at me.

3 Likes

She was referring to MCO actually.

But it might be fun to refer to MCO as SNA. (Depending on how you define fun.)

3 Likes

I’m sad for you and anyone else who wants to see it but will not get to (or who would like it to stick around)

But I’m happy Around the World is returning. I much prefer it.

4 Likes

thus provin’ my point.

I don’t know the ‘normal names’, I know the 3-letter designation.

3 Likes

3 Likes

And yes, that’s how Orlando international got the letters MCO.
It used to be McCoy Air Force Base

5 Likes

you kiss your mother with that mouth?!

2 Likes

Metropolitian City Orlando.

Fixed it for them.

2 Likes

And here I thought it was for Mickey’s Corporate Offices

8 Likes

translated: noh qapmeh wo’ Qaw’lu’chugh yay chavbe’lu’ – ‘ej wo’ choqmeh may’ DoHlu’chugh lujbe’lu’.

3 Likes

Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory, and ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat.

3 Likes

Wow. I always thought the Klingon language thing was over exaggerated and it was like Star Wars Aurabesh… (special characters replacing english characters)

Consider me corrected. :astonished:

2 Likes

Nope, a lot of the Star Trek languages were, at least in some form, flushed out with their own grammar and vocabulary. Klingon is one of the most developed due to how much it’s used. Vulcan could’ve been more developed if they used it more in-series. It’s not like the Star Wars languages, where it’s just English with different characters.

For example, Klingon’s grammar is based on Russian (for example, the verb “to be” doesn’t exist) So for ST:VI, we got: taH pagh taHbe. (to be, or not to be). So yes, someone finished it, and we got:

Even the phrase “The undiscovered country,” which is the subtitle for ST:VI, came from Hamlet:

The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?

2 Likes

Please don’t ruin Star Trek for me by bringing Shakespeare into it! :grin:

2 Likes

You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon. :rofl: :rofl: :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I kinda prefer not to experience Shakespeare in any language! I even tried the Story of Edgar Sawtelle…yeah. No.

2 Likes

A couple of years back, I attended a symposium at NASA Goddard given by Denise and Michael Okuda where they talked about making the backgrounds and special effects for things. One thing they talked about was making alien languages, and how they also came up with different ways to portray each language so it didn’t end of looking like English in another alphabet. I don’t remember all the examples they gave, but I do remember talked about how Ferengi should be like showing you something here, but having a massive caveat over there where you wouldn’t see it.

4 Likes

At the risk of bringing this back on topic lol… did “Soarin Over California” used to be on film? And later converted to digital? The last time I saw it (2014 maybe?) I remember thinking it needed to be replaced. The picture was not clean at all. Fortunately I was able to ride it again last week and it was beautiful. Returned to its original glory. Curious if it was converted to digital or just a fresh reel.

5 Likes

I don’t know…but I can’t imagine they are using film now. So it was likely remastered digitally for the digital projectors they undoubtedly use now. Or if it was digital before, maybe they just updated the projectors?

Oh sure…shove the blade in a little further why don’t ya! :weary:

:nerd_face:

5 Likes