Sadness over California (at WDW)

I would bet it was. Attack of the Clones (2002) was the first film shot completely digitally and I remember reading that it was a big deal to get theaters to update to digital projection around that time. (It was also printed on film for those theaters that hadn’t converted). DCA opened in 2001, so it’s possible but unlikely they had the foresight to install digital projectors, but who knows.

Also I seem to remember there being film artifacts in the early days – little blotches, flashes of light, etc. Maybe that’s a false memory though.

2 Likes

I recall this also. Wikipedia says the DCA switched from imax film to digital during the 2015 refurb. It’s less clear on Epcot, but probably safe to assume the refurb that added a third theater in 2016 also included a switch to digital.

3 Likes

Wikipedia also had this on the runs for the original version…

DCA’s Soarin’ Over California* Runs:

• ORIGINAL RUN: February 8, 2001 - June 15, 2016
  • FIRST RETURN: May 31 - August 31, 2019
  • SECOND RETURN: February 28 - March 13, 2020
  • THIRD RETURN: March 4 - April 26, 2022
  • FOURTH RETURN: March 3 - April 25, 2023
  • FIFTH RETURN: March 1 - April 22, 2024

Epcot’s Soarin’ Over California Runs:

• ORIGINAL RUN: May 5, 2005 - January 4, 2016
  • FIRST RETURN: September 22, 2023 - February 27, 2024
1 Like

One thing I can say, is the score to either version is a work of art. I sometimes will play it on Spotify and put it on repeat. So evocative.

1 Like

Had to do it…

3 Likes

The original is one of my absolute favorite orchestral tracks. So good. (I enjoy the new one as well.)

2 Likes

The music is my most absolute favorite part of Soarin’. My favorite part of the Over California version is the hangliding over Yosemite and both the replacement scene (Iguazu Falls) and music for that specific part, fall short for me, and I was so excited to see it & for it to inspire wonder in me, so I like Around the World decidedly less, but I do still enjoy the variety of the world scenery (and Monumental Valley in the US is awesome too!!), but I will laugh and roll my eyes at the c-curved Eiffel Tower and very obviously fake CGI imagery of the Taj Mahal every time I don’t get B.

Sorry you’re missing it Ryan! Come out to DL for Food & Wine!!! I think it’s coming back for it.

2 Likes

My favorite part is when the French horns come in right after the golf scene with the orange groves (and scent!). Then the castanets join in and we see the horses cresting the hill in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Here it is time stamped:

2 Likes

That is my 2nd favorite part!! And the new score played around that part and it was different, not bad, but different for the Egyptian pyramids.

Jeff, you should come for F&W in DLR too! All Liners should. We could do a Soarin’ over Cali takeover.

2 Likes

DW and I will be there next weekend – March 1 & 2nd. That will probably be our only trip to DL for this year. :cry: Ok maybe one more time in the fall – we’ll see. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Let’s do this next Friday!

2 Likes

This is what destroys my love of Around the World. The Fake CGI throughout. The fake elephants. The fake jumping whale. The fake boaters at the island. The fake polar bear. The fake plane. The fake people and kites on the Great Wall. The fake Eiffel tower (and flying INTO it). Everything just looks fake. But the Taj Mahal scene is definitely the fakest!

The music for Around the World is also not nearly as good as as the original. Good, but if I’m going to listen to it, the Around the World version is boring compared to the Over California version.

1 Like

You mean The Eiffel Tower isn’t supposed to look like this? :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Not when you’re sober.

6 Likes

Who is when they’re in Paris? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hm. This thought could be a game-changer. It isn’t that the Eiffel tower is being displayed crooked…it is that they are immersing you into realism, including the Parisian culture! (Maybe they should pump in the smell of wine during that scene.)

4 Likes

This would complete the illusion.

2 Likes

If we put wine into Soarin’ Around the World, I may have to finally ride it at Epcot. And as often as I am in DCA.

1 Like

This. It was really fuzzy. I also wasn’t wowed with the scene of wine country, seems like so many more epic vineyard views than the one they picked. I won’t mind when the word version comes back. I think the scene changes isn’t he told version, while yes full of CGI things, make better transitions.

1 Like

I go to DL on Thursday and DCA switches to California version on March 1 :rofl: So I will catch it there before heading to WDW the week after.

1 Like