RUMOUR - Changes to DHS FP tiers starting 29th August

Ok…new plan…tosses ball of paper over shoulder
SO assuming they continue to do it, it is now more worth it to do Early Morning Magic at HS. You can get all of Toy Story Land done before the park opens, then get a FP for either ToT or RnR and then rope drop whichever you did not get a FP for.
As of right now, they have not scheduled Early Morning Magic after SWGE opens…but if this rumor proved to be true, I bet the demand for it would increase. The extra price would sting for larger families, but if you are the type of person who does not like long waits then it would suite you.

3 Likes

I was thinking this too. That or the rumor about charging for FP. That might also be worth it.

I don’t know how they could offer EMM immediately after SWGE opens because EMH begins at 6 a.m. every day at HS for several weeks after that.

1 Like

I am a long-term planner, hehe. Was thinking maybe Jan 2020 and on.

1 Like

So sad how the “magic” of Disney is fading due to the ever-increasing ways to pass out green rectangles with presidents on them. Washington is a popular president in my family so if they start charging for FPs, I might have to make my own “magic” at home. :yum:

2 Likes

Ah.Thanks. Makes sense now. I need to learn how to read MDE - seems it has it’s own language.

Honestly I would love for them to go the UOR route and just pay for a full pass for everything. Take my money for no lines or stress!

2 Likes

This will help with the Tier 1 standby lines, which I see as a good thing on the one hand, but it means Star Tours will be swamped now. All the folks who want to ride will have little choice but to pick Star Tours as their Tier 2 option, making that as hard to get as Slinky Dog!

I think it is very true.

1 Like

Do you think it has helped the Tier 1 SB lines at EP? Would you plan stand by there often?

1 Like

Not sure what you’re asking. We’re talking about HS, no? I’m confused.

I think EP moved all the headliners to Tier 1 with the same thought. I just don’t think it was a successful strategy.

Edited to add: why would it work at HS ?

1 Like

Oh. Well, I’m saying it will help the standby lines, not the FP lines. And I’m all about helping Standby lines. :slight_smile:

Fixed the autocorrect- I was referring to SB lines but my phone thought it knew better.

1 Like

I hope this is all temporary - otherwise this is killer to park planning.

I think a lot of this is to push people to the shows, which swallow a lot of people. Having people pre-select Tier 2 fastpasses for shows will draw them into those venues.

2 Likes

I just think it will balance them out. It can’t do a lot to reduce them entirely.

But, making number simple for the same of example…if there are typically 10000 guests in a given day, and each are allowed a single Tier 1 FP, you basically had to split 10000 FPs between three rides. This puts the FP lines at 3333 people each. Then, the other Tier 2 rides, you split those same 10000 people (x 2 since they get two of them) which means the FP line across four rides was another 5000 people each.

Now, you have 10000 people splitting their Tier 1 across five rides. That means 2000 people each in the FP line. So, the SB line will be that much faster as a result. Of course, people will still end up going in those lines for Tier 1 rides, but they just have to wait for Standby times.

The issue how, however, is that Star Tours goes from handling 5000 FP riders to now having to accommodate 20000 FP riders! (which won’t actually happen, since they will limit FPs, but they will still max-out the FPs for Star Tours when they didn’t used to). That makes the standby line for Star Tours longer as well.

So, improvements (some, not dramatically) to the SB lines for the Tier 1 rides, yes. Bad for the remaining Tier 2…but that is where I think @davej’s comment about trying to move crowds into shows makes sense. BUT, even then, I’m not sure how much it helps. Are shows frequently left unfillled or not near capacity? (I don’t know.) If they are, then it will help. If they aren’t, it doesn’t help at all.

This is an attempt to spread the FPs around the much bigger crowds at DHS.

You have lots of people coming to DHS. Assuming they go with a virtual queue, anyone who got there reasonably early is going to stick around the park waiting for their turn.

So by limiting people to only one of the rides for the first two hours or so, (FPs at 9,10,11), at least they have something to do until say noon.

And it lets more people get at least one ride.

However, it could still be that all FPs could still go to onsite guests, leaving offsite guests SOL. Disney will be hoping otherwise, obviously!

I doubt this will work too well. The park has way too little ride capacity.

Fast forward to when the SW:GE rides and the runaway train ride move to using FPs, this group of rides will become tier 2 rides.

Not sure how it’s directly related to the paid FPs as such, other than they will all remain in the same tier and could be limited in some way. There are suggestions at least the cheapest option may have some limits as to which or how many FPs you can get. And I suspect DHS will end up with three tiers by then. The Star Wars rides will remain the most popular for a long time.

Perhaps…although, actually, it might do nothing to affect offsite guests. Before, everyone on-site was fighting over the Tier 1 rides. Now the same pool of guests are fighting over MORE Tier 1 options. Before they would take a SDD, Aliens, or TSMM FP and then get two more FPs on the other rides. Now, they only can get one of all those rides, leaving more for the offsite guests, and even perhaps more of a change for an offsite guest to secure the coveted SDD, etc. It will depend on how many people ultimately think ToT is a better Tier 1 choice than SDD, etc.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the theory.

But my point was that, with the popularity of SW:GE, there could be more onsite guests wanting to visit DHS. And that could result in the FPs being “sold out”, even with the limitations in place.

On our next trip, I can see DH wanting to go to DHS every other day. So over two weeks he may end up going on 7 days, instead of 2.

A lot of people have been skipping DHS for the past few years. A surge in interest from onsite guests could scupper this plan completely.

1 Like

Ah. Well, yes. But it wouldn’t matter if they changed the Tier system or not in that case! :slight_smile:

We’ve never skipped it. But our next trip is the first time I’ve considered it. :confused: We’ll still go, but I expect little more than a walk-through of SW:GE.