RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

@Jeff_AZ You should be on Disney’s marketing team for your ability to spin this story … haha

With boarding groups gone in less that a minute I wouldn’t be surprised for that 70% number to be a good reflection of reality.

I personally have a love / hate relationship with RotR.
I love it, but I have completely given up on ROTR. It is NOT worth it show up to simply hope and pray for a boarding pass, then hope and pray it runs enough to actually get on the ride, then if you get on, hope its not in B mode, or hope you don’t get evacuated part way through … not worth it to me.

3 Likes

Wow. We didn’t have any trouble. Of course, we approached it as if it was the moon rocket launch. Maybe I should feel lucky!

5 Likes

Anyone have an idea of the average daily capacity of RotR?

I believe @len was estimating 1800 / hr at max capacity back when it first opened, or about 18,000 guests in a 10-hour day. But right now it’s probably running at no more than half capacity. .

It seems Disney should have made this ride to serve at least half the parks capacity, (30,000). But it still seems with limited park capacity that maybe you have a 1 in 2ish chance to ride (best guess since Disney hasn’t released current % it is operating at, saw 25-30% thrown around alot)

1 Like

I think the boarding groups are actually gone in seconds

4 Likes

I just read a piece of advice on easywdw to be sure that your location services is shut off for Disney on your phone. Disney wants your location services turned on for mobile ordering. However, it seems that if you allow Disney to know your location, it takes time for the system to determine where you are, time that may end up shutting you out of a boarding group.

4 Likes

This is very discouraging without the ability to park hop plus needing to reserve parks in advance. They really need to at least institute a limit on how frequently you can ride (once per month?) to give one-time visitors some sort of hope.

1 Like

I wonder if this is why we were successful. My daughter probably does not have that enabled and she was the one to get 2 out of 3 BG’s for us. Mobile ordering only happened from my phone.

2 Likes

yep, under 10 seconds and they’re gone

1 Like

this is why i turned off disney wi fi and used my cell coverage

3 Likes

so I had the navy clock up on my desktop and my cellphone simultaneously and the desktop clock was about a second ahead of my cellphone clock- any thoughts on why that might be? Same website, should be changing at the same time, I would think.

1 Like

Probably just a matter of internet speed and ability of the processor on your device to access and display timely.

1 Like

hmm… that makes sense and I suppose doesn’t bode well for my cell phone since it was the one behind!

1 Like

I suspect this actually may work better for you.
Everything I have read leads me to believe that you’re better off attempting to join @ 1 second behind rather than ahead. If you’re ahead you run the risk of attempting to join too soon, and then you lose time recycling another attempt. If you’re just a touch behind then you won’t come up against that.

2 Likes

Yes. I hit the “join” button at EXACTLY 10:00:01. I did NOT do it at 10:00:00. In my practice runs, this sometimes led to me having to then refresh to get to the “join” button, which delayed things a few seconds.

By doing the “Join” at 10:00:01, I was able to have my boarding group successfully by 10:00:03.

I don’t believe Disney uses location services when it comes to boarding groups. Rather, it just determines if you are tapped into the park. I’m guessing they are simply guessing.

But I had location services on and had no issues.

1 Like

Maybe some good news for RotR capacity?

3 Likes

That would be great if they could even marginally increase capacity! :crossed_fingers:

And now, for my periodic update on stats …

Distribution

I tried to get a BG today from home at the 2pm drop and failed. They either didn’t distribute any or they were gone in 3 seconds, or I messed up somehow. I’ll try again sometime when I’m up at 7am (I’m not a morning person!).

Processing Rates

Other than a few days around mid-month, it’s been almost a month since RotR has settled in at a processing rate of about 10 BGs per hour / 100 per day, which is up from ~ 7 in July and ~8 in August. Let’s see more 12+ BG / hr days!

Delays

Delays have been fewer and shorter in duration recently, but they still happen regularly, unfortunately. To my eye, it seems that the average delay is now 30 minutes rather than close to 60. Maybe some of these are cleaning delays?

Downtime

The percentage of the day that is downtime has been under 30% most days since mid-August, and generally hovers between 10-20%. Seeing days with downtime below 10% is becoming more and more common. Not too bad, but could be better (especially if we didn’t see those spikes on some days like 9/22).

The conclusion is still the same - arrive an hour before opening, ride MMRR first, then be ready to get a BG right at 10:00:01!!! Have multiple members of your party at the ready with MDE open.

May the Force be with you!

5 Likes

I started practicing today- again. It’s been a few months. So if someone can remind me: If I get through to the “you aren’t in the park!” Screen, does that mean I would have otherwise gotten a boarding group?

1 Like

No. It means you might. You still have to beat everyone else.

Tap Join, and it takes you to the page where you party shows up. Then you tap once more to confirm and hopefully end up with a BG. But if you take too long, you can end up fine on the screen where you select your party, but not quick enough tapping once more to secure the BG.

1 Like