RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

It’s a good sign though. If the BGs were already out, you’d get the “we’re not distributed BGs at this time” screen immediately.

Right, yes. That’s what I was wondering. Thank you!

1 Like

You lost me! But thanks for your response anyway :slight_smile: I’m sure it was trying to help! Lol.

1 Like

Hehe. Sorry. I know what I’m talking about, so that’s all that matters, right? :wink:

It is a two-stage process. The first step is hitting the “join” button at or after 10:00:00.

If you are in the parks, then the next page will be one of two possibilities. One, that all BGs are already gone, and so you are out of luck. Or two, that there are still BGs, in which case you are given a page where you can select those in your party you want a BG for. At this point, you aren’t there yet!

Second step, then, is (after confirming the people in your party are properly selected, which is generally handled automatically now) to tap the next button. (I can’t recall what it says…but I’ll just call in the SECOND join button.) So, the time between when you tapped the FIRST “join” and the SECOND “join”, you can still lose out on the BGs being taken if everyone else around you is faster. So you have to be quick on this secondary page. And, in fact, this is where you will MOST LIKELY lose out if you, in fact, tapped the first “join” button right at 10:00:00.

So, once you get to the second screen, the second “join” is at the bottom of the screen. Be ready to tap it ASAP. That’s when you will win or lose it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah yes. okay! I think I see what happened. You were giving me a run down of how to practice.

What I was saying was that I practiced this morning. I got through the “join” and “select your party” at which point I did, hit “next” and then it said “you aren’t in the park!” or whatever that screen is.

And my question was basically “is that a successful practice?” To which I believe Jeff answered “yes” because if it wasn’t, it would have said, “boarding groups are gone. You outta luck” instead (verbiage is my own).

Stop my if I’m not making sense!

1 Like

I just tried for the 2pm release and BGs were gone within the 15 seconds it took me to open my app and press through the buttons. I think I need to start with my app open and see if I can go faster that way.

Here’s what it looked like after I selected my party and pressed “Join” at the bottom of the screen:

If you did not see this message and went straight to “you aren’t in the park,” then you were fast enough!

1 Like

Oh good! Thank you! That’s a good visual. Do you always start with your app closer or were you just trying it out?

1 Like

I had my app open at least 10 minutes beforehand when I did it, and even jumped to another app and back before it was time. I think as long as you are on the home page where the “join” button shows up on the tile that says, “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - Request Access with Virtual Queue,” before 10:00, you are fine.

Just make sure your internet is working! :slight_smile: (I recommend disabling Wifi.)

3 Likes

Im guess I need to start practicing. What is this world clock yall speak of?

1 Like

I was trying it out this time. It’s been a long time since I’ve run through the steps in real time and they’ve changed the interface since COVID, so I’m going to keep trying different things to get a sense for what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

Just google world clock on your internet browser and it will come up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use this one:

You can also do this one, but you need to make sure to refresh your browser periodically because when you first open it up, it may be out of sync.

https://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/display-clocks/simpletime

Just need to use your phone’s clock. Cell phones automatically synchronize their clocks to the towers, etc. So it is all you need.

I recommend having a second phone handy with a clock that shows seconds. That’s what we did. But it is also possible to open up two apps at once (in Android at least) where you have the clock running in one half of the screen, and the Disney app in the other half. Actually, I’m not sure if the Disney app supports this functionality, come to think of it. Only some apps do.

ETA: Nope. Disney app doesn’t support it. (Come on, Disney. Why not?)

2 Likes

Right, the world clock said my phone clock was off .34 seconds. With regular synchronizing, you shouldn’t need to use the “world clock”. Rather, if your phone clock does not show the seconds, download a “basic clock with seconds” app. I have an android and it only shows the seconds on the lock screen, which is not ideal.

1 Like

Good article on TP Blog today about boarding group data:

https://touringplans.com/blog/2020/09/26/recent-rise-of-the-resistance-boarding-group-trends/

2 Likes

I’m trying to compile detailed instructions to get a BG based on TP & youtube tips. Let me know if this is accurate and if anything should be added. There is a PDF link if this image is hard to read.

ROTR Boarding Group Checklist.pdf (231.9 KB)

4 Likes

That’s right! The only thing I would add is that for #4, you can have more than 2 people trying, and you can even use your separate MDE accounts, as long as they are linked. It may be easier to log into the same account though if the other person doesn’t routinely use their MDE account and is only using it for getting a BG.

1 Like

I would like to add - after you hit the first ‘join’, it takes awhile for the next screen to populate the first time. I’d hit ‘join’, let it populate, and then go back out to the main page a few mins before 10am.
Try it. The first time, it’ll circle for a min before pulling up this -

Then, hit join again, and it’ll pull right away.

This worked twice for me this week. I closed the app and opened it at 5 of. Hit the join, then hit it a few more times until 9:59 (nerves, this doesn’t actually help :rofl:). At 9:59 I sat and stared at the time on my phone, making sure to tap the screen a few times so it didn’t go to lock screen or anything. The second it hit 10:00, I hit join, then join again. Select all, and then that final join button. This got us boarding group 42 on Monday (for a group of 8), and 8 on Friday (for a group of 6). I also set up reminders at 9:55 and 1:55 each day, and practiced for almost 2 weeks. I was usually successful (making it through to the ‘you have to be in the park’ screen when practicing. I suggest practicing as well.

Good luck!!
I’m tired, hope this makes sense!

3 Likes

Thank you. So your entire party was not automatically selected? You had to check the select all box both times?

1 Like