RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

Just me and DH, so I will have him with the world clock on his phone and me ready to join on mine. I have Sprint. Any Orlando peps have issues with sprint in the parks? Dont at home. Only have 1 day at HS so I want to be prepared!

1 Like

I could be wrong on this - but I remember having to hit ‘select all’ the first day. The second day it was definitely already set to select all. When practicing, I had to hit ‘select all’ each time, for sure. I could be remembering the first actual run incorrectly - I was really nervous :grimacing:

2 Likes

I think Disney recently updated the app so it automatically selects everyone who is in the park, so when practicing at home it won’t automatically select everyone, but don’t worry about it.

5 Likes

This is correct, you no longer have to select all or select the people who want the BG. Everyone who has tapped into the park are automatically selected which is great because it saves a step.
However, on Thursday, DH went to HS studios and I went to EPCOT. For the first time, he did not get a BG at the 10 drop. It was almost like it didn’t recognize that he was alone, it got hung up on the screen where it normally selects everyone. He was able to get a BG at the 2 drop and didn’t encounter that problem. So who knows, I really think that 99% of getting a BG is shear luck with no rhyme or reason as to who is successful and who isn’t. We have tried all combinations (where we stand, whether we have wi fi on or off, whether we have locations services on or off) and we have always been able to get a BG each time we have tried (probably a dozen times or more since it opened). YMMV

2 Likes

DH and I tried practicing this morning and neither one of us got anywhere. Geez this is nerve wracking! We shall keep trying! (I think part of our problem was selecting the whole party so I won’t do this next time.)

1 Like

Ok, I got here at both 10am and 2pm today. This is the best case scenario for “practice”, right?

Now I just cleared out all of my friends but I joined a memory maker share. If I friend the dummy account for that, will it screw me up here?

2 Likes

Yes. That’s the best you can do for practicing.

2 Likes

I think it doesn’t matter. I’m friends with the dummy account and have gotten that screen every time I’ve practiced, both before and after adding the dummy account.

2 Likes

I made some edits/improvements again if you all can review for me please. Any other layout suggestions? I will then make a dedicated thread with these tips/checklist. Here is an image, and also a PDF for better viewing/printing. Thanks!

ROTR BG Checklist.pdf (253.5 KB)

3 Likes

One user today at the parks (I forget who - one of the trip reports going on right now) said that they like to go through the steps a few minutes before 10am because the screen after “join” takes a minute to load the first time you boot up the app. (So this needs to be done after rebooting but before 10am.)

I for one would be forever grateful. This is sooo intimidating!

1 Like

Thanks, wow I also found this. I need to re-evaluate things!

2 Likes

Only if you unprepared! Practice and visualize lol.

1 Like

Len tested WiFi vs cellular and determined that WiFi was faster, and that it was particularly fast in areas where there were few other guests, like the animation courtyard. (They published a blog post with speed readings for various areas of the park.) I maintain that having a mix of WiFi and cellular is best in case one or the other is overloaded.

As for having only one member of your party apply, I think the CM is just trying to keep guests from overloading the system. There are definite benefits to having more than one person trying, especially if one of you is IT-challenged. :wink: It decreases the likelihood that one person’s fat fingers will cost you a BG. But having just one person is fine as long as they are nimble and know what they’re doing.

2 Likes

This all sounds very difficult. DH and I won’t be riding it, but DD18 will definitely want to try…

What’s the website to do internet speed tests?

My issue isn’t speed. It is that Wifi was so unreliable for me that at times, the Wifi would cause the app to go completely unresponsive and I’d have to actually go in and turn off Wifi and turn it back to get it to start working again. I didn’t want this kind of failure to happen at the critical moment of attempting to get a BG, so I turned off Wifi entirely. Since I got BG 2, I figure Cellular was plenty fast enough.

I also saw no need to log out and log back into the app. As long as I had been using the app prior to that moment without issue, I just started on the home screen.

Also, I did NOT click on the “Star Wars: Rise of the Resisance - Request Access with Virtual Queue” image at all. I just clicked directly on the “Join” button. If you do this precisely at 10:00:01, then the next page is the select party page where you click the final join button. Basically, I bypassed the second screen entirely doing it this way, which saves a click/load sequence.

4 Likes

Great info, thank you!

What cell service provider do you have?

I just practiced, tapped JOIN from home screen (not image). But the attractions page still came up next before the PARTY page. I also watched a you tuber and it was the same. So I’m a bit confused.

eta: Or I’ve seen people wait on the attraction page and then swipe to refresh right at 10:00 and the join button appears

1 Like