RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

Yes, be watchful! The beast lurks in the shadows. This could be a ploy to suck your joy at the utmost opportune moment! We’re all praying its not, that your first days were just a test to your true Disney spirit. But alas, be ever mindful. Banish all bad thoughts, see the positives, and never, NEVER let the beast win!!

2 Likes

ROTR is back up and running today.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance/news/12aug2020-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-resumes-operation-following-lightning-strike-closure-yesterday.htm

5 Likes

I had nightmares last night that it would be still be down on Friday when we are going to be there! We already had a disastrous attempt to ride at DLR in January and now I’m paranoid that something else will go wrong this time. It’s really the only thing that is stressing me about our trip. That we leave on in … about 4 hours!

4 Likes

Safe travels today! We too are flying again today…this time to Vermont to take Avery to school. I hope ROTR goes smoothly!

5 Likes

So glad to see it back open! I’ll be wishing on a star that everything goes perfectly for @Julianne_fki this time! :crossed_fingers::comet::stars::dizzy:

3 Likes

Thanks @Wahoohokie and @Jeff_AZ!

@Wahoohokie is this the start of Avery’s two week quarantine? :grimacing: At least she gets to go to school!

2 Likes

She starts quarantine (on campus) on Friday. Her pre-arrival test from Monday is back (negative-yeah!) and she will get tested again on Friday. She will be in quarantine until that test comes back (likely Sunday), and then all the kids who are negative will be put in cohort groups, so there will be socialization and activities, meals together, outside time and such. So really it’s a bubble, and not so much quarantine as long as they keep testing negative. They will also have a test on day 7 which I think will be next Friday (this Friday is considered day zero). If day 7 is negative they can move out of the quarantine dorm and into their regular dorm. We will drop off most of her stuff in regular dorm Friday, before reporting to the quarantine dorm. Hopefully all goes well!

4 Likes

Yay! That is a much more do-able plan than you and Avery in a hotel room for 14 days! I’m glad it’s working out for her. Good news is Vermont looks like a great place to be right now!

2 Likes

Final thoughts on ROTR lightning strike…

I’m most mad that Disney knew about the lightning, knew the ride was down and didn’t tell anyone until 4pm the next day. If they had been much more transparent, we would have had better information to plan our day or maybe even change park.

With no park hopping, and limited attraction experiences due to Covid, ANY additional down attraction makes a BIG difference.

2 Likes

So sorry this happened! I hope you have another chance to ride it someday if not soon!

Welcome back, @amvanhoose_701479! I’ve been hoping you were ok. :slight_smile: It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you here.

1 Like

Let’s update our metrics!

Distribution continues to occur within mere seconds of 10am and 2pm - I won’t bother posting the chart. Practice at home, have multiple people trying, watch the Navy clock for exactly 10am, etc.

After some rough days early this month, Processing has been much better, with average groups per hour around 8 with one exception (plus the closure on 8/11):

Delays have been slightly less frequent in the last week, and only a couple have approached an hour. This is a tough chart to read, but the less dense the dots, and the lower they are, the better. You can see since about 8/4 the dots are on average lower and less dense than before, with a few exceptions.

Downtime as a percent of operating time is down the last two days, and was doing really good for 3-4 days leading up to 8/8 - 8/11, when they had some issues. Note that this chart is basically the inverse of the Processing chart above. The less downtime, the more groups are processed.

Overall I’d say the ride is running much better than it was for the first month after reopening, lightning strike notwithstanding! Here’s hoping this trend continues.

4 Likes

@len @SteveBloom is there a way to find out how RotR ranks in terms of downtime among attractions at WDW? I was not able to find this data on the TP website, at least not in an aggregated location. I was able to find daily downtime as a metric on an individual attraction page, but not a long-term average and not in comparison to other attractions.

I suspect, for example, that Test Track has more downtime than RotR based on the days I looked at. I’m curious if any other rides come close.

Time for a weekly update! It’s been a great week at RotR. Did they fix something?

Processing Rate

Ever since the lightning strike on 8/10 and the one-day closure, the ride has been operating much more smoothly. The last three days, they have processed +/- 100 BGs per day. Best rates since reopening in July.

Delays
As a reminder, the less dense and the lower the dots, the less delays. Since 8/15, there have been fewer and shorter delays per day - about 3 per day averaging less than 30 minutes each, with only a few being almost an hour and many being under 20 minutes.

Downtime
The ride has been far more reliable, with only 10% downtime the last three days, and at or under 20% for most days the last two weeks.

Here’s hoping this is the start of a long-term trend!

5 Likes

Maybe a lucky lightning strike!

2 Likes

It’s like at the end of one of those body switching movies where lightning strikes and everyone goes back to the right body. :joy:

4 Likes

I’m just glad it happened before we got there! :grin:

It happened on August 12 - right? We had our first HS day on August 14!

2 Likes

I think the lightning strike was 8/10 after close and then the ride was shut down all day 8/11.

2 Likes

Maybe it fried a couple of parts and Disney was forced to change them out. Those parts could have been the faulty components (components with intermittent failures) that were causing the majority of the delays!

Let’s hope that it is true!

2 Likes

I was reading that while the ride is running okay, there are parts within the ride that aren’t operating correctly. Screens playing without audio, and blaster blasts showing up but not the storm troopers that fired them, etc. I guess Kylo Ren isn’t showing up at one place so they are using a backup display of him in a different way. So the experience isn’t back to normal yet. Or at least it was about 2 days ago.

1 Like