Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Supportive heart. You can only do your best and I know that’s what you’re doing.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve been feeling kind of stressed and anxious myself, so my family is doing a short getaway to recharge before the craziness of this school year begins.

1 Like

:frowning: Hang in there.

I’m so sorry to hear that. I do not envy administers at all right now. Everything is a mess.

I’ll tell you this. My kids went back to school this week and they have been on cloud nine. So very happy and so thankful to be back. I know we are so thankful for their administrators who have worked non-stop all summer. They could give us no greater gift than investing themselves so deeply in the well-being and education of our children.

1 Like

Hello, everyone! We’re back from our 2 week carefully social distanced road trip to Colorado. So I’m about 500 messages behind. What did I miss?!?

Has this already been posted? I have relatives all over Iowa, and it’s not an exaggeration. :confused:

7 Likes

Perhaps this is a better place for this response:

1 Like

Me too! Thankfully mostly just no power. Illinois cousins were sheltering in their basements for a while - it was a big storm system.

Glad you’re back!

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t expect to completely disappear like that. But my lack of planning until the last minute (Going? Not going? :upside_down_face:) resulted in a lot of planning-on-the-go and then having to adjust for ongoing Covid and other disruptions. Plus spotty connectivity…and poof! I disappeared from the virtual Disney bubble…

3 Likes

I figured y’all were having fun!

1 Like

We sure did! Lots and lots of hiking and takeout. Dared one outside full service patio that was pretty empty and the staff was clearly super cautious. Avoided most inside places fairly stringently.

Mask wearing was fairly good for most of Texas and Colorado. Amarillo was sort of scary, which isn’t good with their meat packing plant issues. SE Colorado was significantly less than the rest of the state.

4 Likes

Hmmmm…trying to prioritize which threads to catch up on… Did anyone have ROTR hit by lightning on their 2020 disaster bingo card? :no_mouth:

6 Likes

My calander says pigs might start flying, look up (for every day of 2020)! Does that count.

4 Likes

Totally agree. Look at us in CA. We were the first to lockdown. We kept the number of cases down and never overwhelmed our hospitals during those early weeks. BUT, came very close to overwhelming hospitals in Los Angeles County and San Diego County in July. Patients were being flown around the state. While we lead the nation in the number of cases, our number of deaths is a fraction of NY’s.

The vast majority of SF Bay Area residents are working remotely (Downtown SF and Downtown Oakland are ghost towns); extracurricular activities are still closed or operating with very limited number of people. Yet around the traditional afternoon commute period, there is traffic! It’s not nearly as bad as pre-COVID but nevertheless traffic. We are obviously not staying home! DS20 and I stay home but DH is essential and goes to work and gives us those reports.

Are we in CA trending downwards? I don’t know. You have probably heard in the news that we have a backlog of tests to post so our numbers have been really high for about a week now. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Most of the state has had a mask mandate for awhile, almost since the beginning. As some immunity spreads, I hope the infection cases will drop and level.

There is no way we will do another lockdown UNLESS the death rate skyrockets. The economics are hard. As a CA state employee, I will feel the results of the lockdown in my paycheck for the next 2 years, -10% every pay period. Then, there are those out of work, lost their businesses, close to losing their businesses…

3 Likes

Hugs!:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hang in there! Staff was back on campus this week and gosh it felt great.

There were clearly different levels of concern over social distancing. Fortunately, those who were making choices I wouldn’t won’t affect me directly - I do not work in the same building with them.

Some parents won’t send kids to campus because they don’t want their kids wearing masks.

Some parents won’t send their kids to campus because they don’t want the risk and will be virtual, with specified points of re-entry through the year.

Kids will be in cohorts and keeping full distance from kids not in their cohorts.

My brain is swimming with all of the changes - trying to plan for the things that never go to plan on the first day of school. I hope it’s all enough. But I’m craving getting back to something with trace amounts of normalcy. I am sorry that more teachers do not feel the same way. I listened to an interview of a cardiologist treating COVID patients here in Houston who did not elaborate on what he thought the “thoughtful way” to open schools would be but did say he’s sending his kids back in person. Nonetheless that felt reassuring.

3 Likes

I am glad it is going well for you.

For now. It still feels like a weird experiment. Training and room set up was this week. We don’t go back until the Wednesday after Labor Day

1 Like

Funny you mention this.
I frequently will ask doctors, “What would you do if it were your ____________?” I find I get really good answers then. It’s like I crack through the shell and hear what I need to hear most.

4 Likes

It’s a liability thing.

It’s not direct advice, but just a description of what they’re doing, so there’s less responsibility if things don’t turn out.

Doctors do lots of things all the time that they wouldn’t formally advise others to do. They will place their own bets- but they have to be much more sure to place a bet for you.

But it’s a very clever tactic to find out what they really think.:wink:

5 Likes

From a kid perspective in person makes the most sense. It won’t make sense for teachers with preexisting conditions. But I agree. I’m fortunate to have some great doctors and nurses among my family - they help guide my concerns. Usually they aren’t wrong.

2 Likes