Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

3 Likes

I did go down to Lowe’s and buy some n95 respirators, though. :mask:

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I haven’t cancelled anything yet. I haven’t planned our April spring break yet and we’re pretty sure we’ll avoid air travel b/c of the illness. I’d just prefer not to go to the airport where people from literally all over the world have been (we live in a large metropolitan area). We are fortunate to live in an area where a lot of interesting places can be reached by car. So, we’re taking it into consideration but not taking extreme precautions (yet…).
(Update…now that I’ve read the article in the original post I feel silly for having written what I just wrote…but I still want to take precautions. My husband doesn’t want to travel by plane soon anyway b/c he just doesn’t want to so it’s not a sacrifice for us really.)

1 Like

It’s hard to say but some experts think it won’t peak in China until May, so honestly travel over the summer might be the worst time. I don’t think I’d worry about traveling right at the moment, at least not in the US.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go to China, but I’m flying to WA next week and the coronavirus never even came to my mind as a possible threat. I think the news media is blowing this up out of proportion, at least as far as the US threat is concerned. On the other hand I’d like to know the real numbers are in China. Closing almost every major tourist attraction, and Disney closing DL Shanghai, leads me to believe that this may be a bigger thing than the numbers that they are actually reporting.

7 Likes

I think there’s really no way yet of knowing what will happen.

1 Like

you need to be more worried about the flu than this virus. The media is scaring everyone. Ask any doctor, the flu is what they will tell you to be worried about.
get a flu shot and practice good hand hygiene!

13 Likes

I’m not sure if you can even get this done, but you need to be properly fitted for one of those or else they won’t work as intended. Healthcare workers have to undergo a fitting every year. (I don’t presume to know if you are one or not, just passing along info :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you!!
Flu typically results in 50,000-80,000 deaths/year.

8 Likes

I’m not so concerned about travelling from within North America but I’m curious if Touringplans might adjust the crowd calendar because no Chinese guests will be visiting Disney in the foreseeable future?

1 Like

I can get it done.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. As a health care worker, it frustrates me to no end how these things get focused in the wrong directions to spread panic.

9 Likes

I can completely relate.

3 Likes

I think that’s the gist of it. For some of the reasons peculiar to China mentioned by @bswan26, and others having to do with the virus itself, there’s a lot that isn’t known.

And because epidemics spread exponentially in the beginning, there really can be nothing to worry about now, and a whole lot to worry about next week or next month. It all depends on how effective the interventions to slow it down are, and we don’t know that yet.

So the CDC and the NIH are absolutely right in telling us there’s no cause for alarm. They also said that it’s a rapidly changing situation- ergo, that advice could change just as quickly.

That’s a good question. Shanghai Disney is closed, but I would think most Chinese visitors typically plan to go there and plan to visit other things here in the US. I know I didn’t visit Disneyland Paris when we went to France!

3 Likes

Fair point - maybe some of the team know the amount of Chinese visitors to Disney World every year? I have to assume it’s substantial

1 Like

Also WDW is definitely the main Disney attraction in the world, so I would think that a nation of a billion people would have more than a few people interested in making the pilgrimage. It would be interesting to know. Plus, there might be a few other folks too nervous to travel so it might actually be a good time to go!

1 Like

It’s an ill wind …

1 Like

It does indeed, which is tragic since we do have a (relatively) effective vaccine. Everyone should get a flu shot.

However, being concerned about the flu and being concerned about this virus are not mutually exclusive. It’s perfectly acceptable to do both.

8 Likes

Oh, I agree. But no one seems to be freaking out about the flu when they should be a bit more fearful of it.

4 Likes

Familiarity breeds contempt, sadly. Not everyone wears their seat belts, either.

Well, that’s just because you’re in the UK. We’re equidistant from China, so we can get it from BOTH the east and the west.

Maybe that means we’re doomed?

2 Likes