Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

No, it’s a phrase: It’s an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

Corona virus is bad for some, good for others.

2 Likes

Oh, I thought that it was “It’s an ill wind that blows from the East.”
There are many ill winds about these days.

2 Likes

It’s an ill wind that cleared out the elevator is the one I always heard…

:upside_down_face:

9 Likes

We’re having an erudite discussion of variations in common folk sayings, and you have to bring up farts? :roll_eyes::wink:

3 Likes

This!

2 Likes

I’m freaking out about the regular flu (sort of…). I have school age kids and I can tell that this is one of the bad years b/c there are huge # of cases at my kids’ school and they even sent out a special message about how both type A and B had been diagnosed there and they are doing special cleanings. When it’s bad like this I do some extra safety measures like postponing unnecessary dr appts to avoid going to the hospital (it’s a big hospital). But I don’t…truly freak out, if you know what I mean. It’s just more worrying with the new virus b/c it has no vaccine or anti viral yet that can combat it.

2 Likes

I really don’t want anyone completely freaking out about the flu, but I wish more parents were like you and realize it can be serious. Every day I hear parents say “oh, it’s just the flu” like it’s no big deal.

3 Likes

I was just going to add that I haven’t actually cancelled or modified travel plans b/c of the flu but I would consider it for this new virus. Although I actually had to make it a big priority for us to get the flu shot before our Thanksgiving trip to Orlando b/c the flu vaccine was delayed this year. I was calling around trying to find a place to get it b/c the base didn’t have it yet. They got it just in time. I wasn’t about to go to WDW where people from all over the world go, right at the start of flu season, without that.

3 Likes

Always a good idea to get a flu shot if possible before traveling during flu season. I have to say that’s a bit concerning you had trouble finding vaccine in November.

4 Likes

This!

I’d add that … If I have a cold or feel like I may be coming down with something, in business settings I tell people I’m not shaking hands because I have a cold (And in social settings I tell people I’m not hugging or shaking hands). I don’t want to spread anything. I wish others would do the same. It really bothers me when I shake someone’s hand and then 5 minutes later they start coughing and telling me how sick they are.

3 Likes

The base is always the last place to get it but we usually can get it at least by Halloween. This year there was a delay at a specific place that makes the vaccine (I’m basing this on what I read on the news) and that’s probably why it was so delayed. I don’t at all consider myself extremist with my worry but I did also remind my kids a lot, esp at WDW with CL10, to wash their hands as much as possible. So many people, especially small children, touching all the same surfaces, is a recipe for trouble. I worry so much less when I travel solo or with adults b/c I know we know what to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t gone on a cruise yet but I’ve been watching a lot of cruise videos on you tube and have learned that on some cruise ships it’s considered good etiquette to not shake hands to avoid spreading germs. That really makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes

It does make a lot of sense, but to me it makes even more sense to stay off cruises entirely. :rofl: I can’t help it, just the thought of being stuck with all those people in that small of an area & no escape creeps me out.

7 Likes

Why did the Obama fist-bump thing not take off?

And do you people sneeze into your elbows? That’s how the young people are doing it round these parts.

3 Likes

That’s better. But, I prefer a nod and smile.

My mother started doing the cough in your sleeve when my little kids told her about the ‘new way’. She got sick… turned out to be pneumonia and with all that coughing in her sleeve (that were short), she ended up with a frozen shoulder that she’s told will never heal without surgery… at 81 years old, that’s not happening.

Also, my mom had the flu over Xmas. She also got the double shot in Nov (ours were late, too). She was so sick she could barely function. The doctor told her that if she hadn’t had the flu shot, she probably wouldn’t have survived that flu. There were people … young people dying of the flu in her city around that same time.

2 Likes

My children are in college or beyond but a little girl from their alma mater died of flu. It’s a small school so everyone was pretty shaken up by it- I don’t have to nag them about getting their flu shots anymore. They were shocked that it could happen to a healthy kid, but it can happen to anyone.

1 Like

I’m not worried about it right now, and I’m not worried about it for our April trip at this point. I feel confident that either 1) it will be blown over by then or waning, or 2) we’ll know enough in the coming weeks to determine whether there is any cause for alarm outside China. There are just too many unknowns right now, but as we’re coming to the end of the incubation period estimates, if we don’t start seeing more cases and more H2H transmission outside China, I feel that it has been fairly well contained.

1 Like

Because people think a stomach bug is “the flu.” :roll_eyes::rage::face_with_thermometer::mask:

6 Likes

So true!! Oh, how I hate that.

1 Like