Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

There is no sense of being cramped on any ship I’ve been on.

I think people are more likely to get a virus at the grocery store than traveling.

It doesn’t help that even medical dramas on television get this very basic thing wrong. They will be giving amps of epi or doing a thoracotomy, but when someone on the staff is sick, they’ll say they have the stomach flu. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

They forgot flu is short for influenza.

1 Like

DS7 is currently down with his 2nd round of flu… He tested positive for B Dec 16 and type A Monday… 6 weeks apart… and the only one of the family to contract it… we do lots of hand washing and sanitizer, I sterilize surfaces and we never ever share food or cups or anything… but he is in public school, 1st grade, and plays two sports year round. I worry about the Coronavirus because we will fly out in 20 days and i’m sure DS7 immune system couldn’t handle another thing right now… I would love to think the airplane gets a full disinfection regularly… but I know that is only a wishful thought… I bring clorox/purell/lysol wipes and we use them on the plane, in the parks, and in my car! Here’s hoping all of you stay flu and virus free :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, that is terrible! Did he get the flu shot? Although, it’s definitely not always 100% effective which is pretty frustrating.

You are absolutely doing the right thing with all the wipes- be sure to get the tray table! I do that as a matter of routine as my immune system is deliberately suppressed, and it definitely helps. Airplanes are cleaned once a day- another reason for always taking the first flight!

Maybe call your child’s doctor and see if he’s a candidate for an n95 mask (the adult ones at the store won’t fit him) or if there’s anything else they’d recommend. What a rough winter you all have had, hope it gets better soon.

1 Like

Here’s one reason why I don’t do cruise ships:

It seems like, once an outbreak starts on a ship, it is very hard to stop. And sometimes will come back on repeat sailings, it’s just so hard to get rid of the little buggers. Plus, this lady may not even have coronavirus, but everyone is stuck there with her.

1 Like

Thank you so very much! we absolutely do wipe the tray tables, seat buckles, air vents, window, light switch… all of it :slight_smile: the tamiflu this round has really helped lessen his symptoms very quickly! i will look into the n95!! Unfortunately neither he nor I got the flu shot this year… DS11 and DH did.

2 Likes

I do too. I don’t think they clean the planes well after every flight.

So sorry your DS is dealing with flu for the second time.

1 Like

thank you!

1 Like

I was going to say this but I knew someone would have beaten me to it. When someone takes 2 days off sick and says they’ve had flu :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: You had a cold!! Flu puts an otherwise healthy person in bed for a lot longer than 2 days!

4 Likes

Either way, they need to be put on antibiotics right away!!!

(And yes, that was meant tongue-in-cheek.)

1 Like

Thank goodness. My initial reaction was eye rolling along with anger. :roll_eyes: :angry:

5 Likes

I hope your son feels better soon. I agree with wiping down all the surfaces on the plane that you will all touch. I started doing that for my kids and now I do it for myself too when flying solo. I got very sick once soon after a flight and was sick the whole time I was visiting family. I’m pretty sure it was from the flight.

1 Like

Usually when people say they had the “flu” …it was the stomach flu. I got hit with that in December, knocks you right out for a day or two. Or yes, the mid it up with a cold. I got hit with a cold when I came to Disneyworld in July. At least it was pretty mild and meds did the trick to keep me going. We have plans to do an Asian Disney trip…happy it’s not now!

1 Like

The most serious and debilitating disease is — of course — man flu.

How lucky women are that they will never experience the suffering that men go through during this appalling sickness.

23 Likes

I can’t heart this enough! :joy:

2 Likes

So you mean a few sniffles?

6 Likes

Yup, cough or sneeze into elbow.

Or sneeze down into the neck of your t-shirt.

I always have a funny mental picture of a guy with a necktie nearly strangling himself trying to sneeze into his shirt.

That’s hilarious. I’ve seen my boys do this but never a grown man.
DH doesn’t get sick, so I don’t ever see him sneeze.

Here in Mid-Missouri it’s much more common to see elbow sneeze. The t-shirt sneeze is more random tho I’ve seen adults do it.