Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

I am set to go to DLR in June. I usually buy travel insurance, and will definately get it this time to be safe. I have a friend with a trip to the Asian Disney parks planned for May, making me remember you can never be too careful.

1 Like

Be sure to read the fine print and see if it would even be covered- not every thing is (acts of war, riots, etc)- even if the cancellation isnā€™t your fault. I donā€™t usually buy trip insurance, but I always make sure my plans are as cancellable and refundable as possible.

Possibly it will be individual companies offering refunds/change fee waivers. Delta has been offering a waiver for China since the beginning of the week, even before our govā€™t recommended no travel there, and a quarantine on return.

1 Like

This happens every year, or every other. Swine flu, bird flu, some ā€œnewā€ flu all the time ā€¦
I donā€™t get a flu shot, not my thing. I wash hands constantly. If Iā€™m forced to shake hands (business) I wash as immediately as possible. I donā€™t touch other peopleā€™s cell phones, ink pens and I am totally leery of door handles and hand rails. 95% of the time I donā€™t open a door without a paper towel. I wear gloves when I pump gas. I donā€™t trust hand sanitizer. I will use it temporarily, but wash as soon as I can get to water. It skeeves me out that everything nowadays is touch screen. (Menu board at BOG.) Yes, this has made me a crazy lady, but I havenā€™t had the flu or even a cold in many, many years. This is not to say I wonā€™t get sick tomorrow. Just pointing out some of the extra precautions I take.

3 Likes

Yes, this! Iā€™m pretty much the exact same way!! Iā€™m glad to see Iā€™m not the only ā€œcrazyā€ one out there! I had a cold recently but was over it in about a week, much less time than my coworkers. Iā€™m not saying my approach is best but there may be something to it. :smirk:

1 Like

9 Likes

Yes there was a delay in vaccine manufacturing this year. I work in healthcare & we got our vaccines later than normal because of it. We were prioritizing patient vaccination over employees.

1 Like

So strange I didnā€™t know that. We had ours by the first week in September and havenā€™t had any issues keeping it in stock.

1 Like

Me either.
Iā€™m in NY. Weā€™ve had no shortage or delay. Wow. I had no idea.

The last shortage I remember was 2009 when we couldnā€™t get H1N1. People lined up for hours locally.

1 Like

I rarely get ill, but I am no germaphobe. As a matter of fact, at the cast party tonight, after I shared dining instructions with all the 8-13 year olds, another mom piped up to remember to wash hands. It had never dawned on me. And I am an RN with a degree as a Family Nurse Practitioner. Iā€™m just not that aware of germs except at work.

2 Likes

If only it worked better than it has. I canā€™t remember the exact stats but itā€™s not exactly a stellar performer this year.

1 Like

We had ours September too- enough that we had clinics in each school.

2 Likes

Right. We havenā€™t had issues with flu vaccine supply since then either. I really hadnā€™t heard it was an issue this year.

I completely agree about the touch screens. When I order food at our local fast food places now I always go wash my hands and ask my kids to. They get upset about it. But, they go wash their hands.

1 Like

Yes, that does seem to be the case. I know the CDC is saying the vaccine is about 60% effective this year, but in reality I donā€™t feel like that is what we have seen.

1 Like

I makes me so happy to hear of schools giving flu vaccines. My DSā€™s school does that, but the public schools here do not.

3 Likes

I saw articles today that said (and I might get this wrong!) that someone somewhere came up with a treatment that seemed to work for the Wuhan coronavirus. It was a combo of flu and HIV meds. I hope this will prove to be truly effective and not just a one time thing.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s of extreme personal interest to me is that in China theyā€™ve used quinine, an old malarial drug. I take a variety of this for other reasons on a daily basis. Iā€™m going to need all the help I can get because my main med is a powerful immunosuppressant.

My spouse is a doctor and very likely to be exposed eventually. He was going to retire early but now who knows. Itā€™s a good thing we have two homes right now, I expect weā€™ll be living apart for quite a while. At some point Iā€™ll probably put myself in isolation until thereā€™s a vaccine.

This has been a very interesting discussion. It seems that personal & public hygiene has never been more important than it is these days. We are heading to WDW soon. While we wonā€™t be wearing face masks, we have gotten flu shots. And for the first time ever when traveling, weā€™ve decided to pack disinfectant wipes and sprays for use in our hotel and resort rooms. Whether or not that will do any good is debatable, but they will probably do no harm.

1 Like

DSā€™s school had an emergency flu vaccine clinic a couple of weeks ago. They had one week with an average of 58 kids out every day (of 350) at the elementary school. Iā€™m not sure how many they got to come in (DS and I had already had our vaccines - we got the flu 2 years ago after we skipped it so weā€™re not making that mistake again!), but I hope it made a difference.

While we escaped the flu last year, my whole family had pneumonia last year (with mine unfortunately hitting while in WDW) and I came down with pneumonia again in December. I am definitely more concerned with getting pneumonia again than anything - Iā€™ve never had it before in my life and had it twice in one year now! Ugh!

2 Likes

That is great the school did a flu vaccine clinicā€“hopefully it will make a difference.

I really hope you donā€™t have to deal with pneumonia again. Twice in one year is no fun.

1 Like