RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

Probably just a matter of internet speed and ability of the processor on your device to access and display timely.

1 Like

hmm… that makes sense and I suppose doesn’t bode well for my cell phone since it was the one behind!

1 Like

I suspect this actually may work better for you.
Everything I have read leads me to believe that you’re better off attempting to join @ 1 second behind rather than ahead. If you’re ahead you run the risk of attempting to join too soon, and then you lose time recycling another attempt. If you’re just a touch behind then you won’t come up against that.

2 Likes

Yes. I hit the “join” button at EXACTLY 10:00:01. I did NOT do it at 10:00:00. In my practice runs, this sometimes led to me having to then refresh to get to the “join” button, which delayed things a few seconds.

By doing the “Join” at 10:00:01, I was able to have my boarding group successfully by 10:00:03.

I don’t believe Disney uses location services when it comes to boarding groups. Rather, it just determines if you are tapped into the park. I’m guessing they are simply guessing.

But I had location services on and had no issues.

1 Like

Maybe some good news for RotR capacity?

3 Likes

That would be great if they could even marginally increase capacity! :crossed_fingers:

And now, for my periodic update on stats …

Distribution

I tried to get a BG today from home at the 2pm drop and failed. They either didn’t distribute any or they were gone in 3 seconds, or I messed up somehow. I’ll try again sometime when I’m up at 7am (I’m not a morning person!).

Processing Rates

Other than a few days around mid-month, it’s been almost a month since RotR has settled in at a processing rate of about 10 BGs per hour / 100 per day, which is up from ~ 7 in July and ~8 in August. Let’s see more 12+ BG / hr days!

Delays

Delays have been fewer and shorter in duration recently, but they still happen regularly, unfortunately. To my eye, it seems that the average delay is now 30 minutes rather than close to 60. Maybe some of these are cleaning delays?

Downtime

The percentage of the day that is downtime has been under 30% most days since mid-August, and generally hovers between 10-20%. Seeing days with downtime below 10% is becoming more and more common. Not too bad, but could be better (especially if we didn’t see those spikes on some days like 9/22).

The conclusion is still the same - arrive an hour before opening, ride MMRR first, then be ready to get a BG right at 10:00:01!!! Have multiple members of your party at the ready with MDE open.

May the Force be with you!

5 Likes

I started practicing today- again. It’s been a few months. So if someone can remind me: If I get through to the “you aren’t in the park!” Screen, does that mean I would have otherwise gotten a boarding group?

1 Like

No. It means you might. You still have to beat everyone else.

Tap Join, and it takes you to the page where you party shows up. Then you tap once more to confirm and hopefully end up with a BG. But if you take too long, you can end up fine on the screen where you select your party, but not quick enough tapping once more to secure the BG.

1 Like

It’s a good sign though. If the BGs were already out, you’d get the “we’re not distributed BGs at this time” screen immediately.

Right, yes. That’s what I was wondering. Thank you!

1 Like

You lost me! But thanks for your response anyway :slight_smile: I’m sure it was trying to help! Lol.

1 Like

Hehe. Sorry. I know what I’m talking about, so that’s all that matters, right? :wink:

It is a two-stage process. The first step is hitting the “join” button at or after 10:00:00.

If you are in the parks, then the next page will be one of two possibilities. One, that all BGs are already gone, and so you are out of luck. Or two, that there are still BGs, in which case you are given a page where you can select those in your party you want a BG for. At this point, you aren’t there yet!

Second step, then, is (after confirming the people in your party are properly selected, which is generally handled automatically now) to tap the next button. (I can’t recall what it says…but I’ll just call in the SECOND join button.) So, the time between when you tapped the FIRST “join” and the SECOND “join”, you can still lose out on the BGs being taken if everyone else around you is faster. So you have to be quick on this secondary page. And, in fact, this is where you will MOST LIKELY lose out if you, in fact, tapped the first “join” button right at 10:00:00.

So, once you get to the second screen, the second “join” is at the bottom of the screen. Be ready to tap it ASAP. That’s when you will win or lose it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah yes. okay! I think I see what happened. You were giving me a run down of how to practice.

What I was saying was that I practiced this morning. I got through the “join” and “select your party” at which point I did, hit “next” and then it said “you aren’t in the park!” or whatever that screen is.

And my question was basically “is that a successful practice?” To which I believe Jeff answered “yes” because if it wasn’t, it would have said, “boarding groups are gone. You outta luck” instead (verbiage is my own).

Stop my if I’m not making sense!

1 Like

I just tried for the 2pm release and BGs were gone within the 15 seconds it took me to open my app and press through the buttons. I think I need to start with my app open and see if I can go faster that way.

Here’s what it looked like after I selected my party and pressed “Join” at the bottom of the screen:

If you did not see this message and went straight to “you aren’t in the park,” then you were fast enough!

1 Like

Oh good! Thank you! That’s a good visual. Do you always start with your app closer or were you just trying it out?

1 Like

I had my app open at least 10 minutes beforehand when I did it, and even jumped to another app and back before it was time. I think as long as you are on the home page where the “join” button shows up on the tile that says, “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - Request Access with Virtual Queue,” before 10:00, you are fine.

Just make sure your internet is working! :slight_smile: (I recommend disabling Wifi.)

3 Likes

Im guess I need to start practicing. What is this world clock yall speak of?

1 Like

I was trying it out this time. It’s been a long time since I’ve run through the steps in real time and they’ve changed the interface since COVID, so I’m going to keep trying different things to get a sense for what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

Just google world clock on your internet browser and it will come up. :slight_smile:

1 Like