Rise of the Resistance Anxiety-Am I Alone?

You are definitely not alone. The first time we tried to ride ROTR was at DL in January, 2020. We were at the parking garage before 6:30 AM but were still unable to get inside the gates by the 8:00 AM drop. Combination of being in the wrong lane (other lanes split into 2 or 3 lanes, ours did not), huge crowds, and Disney not opening the gates early enough. I was in tears. When we did get in around 8:05, we were able to get a back-up BG and I felt better. But that day was a horrible operations day for Rise and no backup BG’s were called. It was the first time I was at Disney and felt like I wished I hadn’t come. We had a redemption trip planned for DLR in April 2020. You know what happened there! But then we scheduled a last minute trip to WDW in August 2020. Finally! We had two days planned at HS (ended up with a 3rd day) and got BG’s each day.

I think if you use the tips from this forum, you’ll be fine. I would schedule two days at HS if you can just for comfort’s sake. But having the second drop at 1:00 Pm is really helpful. Good luck and Bright Suns!

4 Likes

You are not alone. I have been studying how to get a boarding group since day 1, and when I finally had my chance, I was having serious anxiety. But I needn’t have worried - using @bebe80’s instructions, we had a 100% success rate on our three days attempting (I highly recommend you have at least 2 days reserved at HS to minimize the stress).

Also, here is a poll I did back in October. Only 6% of respondents (4 people out of 66 respondents) had a 0% success rate getting a BG, and only 13% had a less than 50% success rate. So if you have 2 days (4 chances - 7am and 1pm), even if things go wrong one of the times, you should get one at a different drop.

5 Likes

I’ll add that most people who don’t get a BG tend to make the following “mistakes”:

1. Aren’t ready at go time (forget to open their phone, don’t have a timer, etc.)
  2. Don’t have access to the exact time (you only have SECONDS to get a BG)
  3. Waste time selecting their party instead of clicking “JOIN, JOIN, JOIN”

In rare circumstances, you might have IT issues that cause you to miss out. Just try again at the 1pm drop and hope that issue doesn’t recur.

3 Likes

Okay, a question for those in the know.

I’ve been practicing at home/work the past few days for our trip at the end of July.

At 7 AM, I have not had any luck. Within seconds, I am getting a message that no groups available next time available is 1 PM

At 1 PM, I have no problem getting a BG and the “Is Everyone Here” message. There are BG available for 10 minutes or more.

Is this typical?

2 Likes

The 1pm drop has been slightly longer for some reason. I guess most people give up after 7am if they don’t get one. I do think it’s odd that you’ve not had luck at 7am, but if it’s just you trying, your chances are lower. With 2-3 people trying, you’re more likely to “win the lottery” when everyone applies for a BG at exactly the same time and not everyone can get one.

2 Likes

I was extremely nervous when we went in Jan 2020 and used my “rest” day to go to the parks and try which led to exhaustion later in the trip but gave me some confidence when I had to do it for my parents the next day. We were successful both times because of people/posts on this board. We were successful last October as well and again in May/June using bebe80’s instructions and getting our best boarding groups yet which I secured three times this last trip. You can definitely do it just by following the official instructions of people/posts on here at the time. I am now 6 for 6.

2 Likes

I’m having anxiety about that too! Going in July and my oldest is DYING to ride it. Can anyone tell me how strict they are about the 1 hour return window? We have a toddler so I’m concerned that we won’t make it in time if we get an early return window… between exploding diapers and transportation delays things can get thrown off track fast!

1 Like

Not at all. You can return any time after your BG is called.

1 Like

I’m really hoping this doesn’t change as park capacity increases.

3 Likes

Keep practicing at 7, you are bound to get it the more you attempt!

1 Like

I may or may not have had a nightmare last night that I forgot to set my alarm to get my BG on arrival day. Also forgot to have everyone wear their matching “Disney Bound” shirts. And yet we were checking into a hotel on the Vegas strip. Dreams are weird. The anxiety is real though!

7 Likes

I read the headline and was like “Look, it’s someone who gets me!” because I thought it was about feeling the anxiety during the RotR interrogation room. Still having memories of the panic I felt when riding alone for the first time last July.
Yea, looks like I’m definitely still alone on that one.

2 Likes

I had an alarm set to practice every day for - honestly, months. I did it the day before our HS day for a friend and got BG11. And I still was so stressed about it that after we got our group I had a physical reaction - chills, shaking hands, etc.

All this to say yes, I was super anxious about it but it worked out fine, I tried to get BGs three days and got them every time.

3 Likes

The few times I practiced I was successful but immediately went back and tried again and it was gone. Had the same impression at 1 pm. It seems it is really all gone within 1-2 seconds. Not sure if that’s what you are asking… :woman_shrugging:

Yes. And understandable. When I feel that way about a new attraction, I think to myself …

“If this attraction didn’t exist, I’d still have an amazing time at Disney so whether or not I ride it, I will have an amazing time at Disney.”

And I also think about all my prior amazing trips prior to the attraction’s existence.

3 Likes

Tried it this morning at 7 AM and I was able to get through. First time at 7 AM.

I had my computer running the atomic clock time from time.gov and used MDE on my phone.

Clicked on “Join Virtual Group” as the clock hit 6:59:59 AM and I got it.

However, I went back and tried a second time 15 seconds later and everything was gone.

Feel better now knowing that I can make this work.

Now, I have got to start training DD16 on how to do this so we can double our chances.

6 Likes

Terrific! Yes, get another family member involved.

In 15 seconds they are long gone. The window can be very tight, like 3 or 4 seconds after the initial attempt.

2 Likes

Also don’t forget about the 1pm! I had connection issues in the morning and didn’t get a boarding group and was feeling very let down after all the successful practice runs. But was up and ready for RD because of the 7am adrenaline spike. So we went did rides had lunch and got one a 1pm. So there’s always hope!

4 Likes

I practiced for weeks and got to the point where I was successful 98% if the time at 7am and 1pm. BUT I was over anxious (and early) for the actual day.
The key as @bebe80 says is to have other people also try. Our 14 year old had never tried before the real thing, and he nailed it. Kids and technology!

4 Likes

Successful now two days in a row at 7 AM.

I think I am getting how to do this.

7 Likes