Reminder: DAKumentary releases on Disney+ today!

I love the animals so very much.

But the keepers and veterinarians and animal managers? They are amazing. I love how excited they are about everything :heart:

7 Likes

Thanks to you, I’m hooked on this show too! :innocent:

I remember reading a trip report some time ago about the Africa Trek tour in AK, and I’m not sure about this … but have it in my head that your family did it. :thinking: Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I forced my wife to read that report a bunch cause it looked like soo much fun. Sadly we never took that tour, but I’ll always see AK through different eyes now thanks to this DAKumentary.

Yes we did it!!! And I did a whole report just on it. Definitely one of my all time favorite ever Vacation activities and for sure the most worthwhile extra at WDW for us!

I’m sorry you haven’t been able to go on that tour… yet. But one day you’ll do it!!

AK is a very special place. :heart::heart:

1 Like

I’m going to blur to prevent a spoiler on the most recent DAKumentary episode but I was puzzled by something. If anyone has a thought, you could post and blur, or PM me

Why did baby spring book have to be bottle fed and cared for? Made me worry about where Mom is. They didn’t explain whether this is normal for the species, which led me to think something was wrong with Mom

I so loved the time spent with Anala the Tiger – and getting to see that she is very aware that they are watching her in the Mararajah trek enclosure!!!

3 Likes

I wondered too and I have no idea.

Same here. I woke up this morning thinking about that!

1 Like

I said the same thing to my husband as we watched the show. Maybe they did it when they noticed an issue? In order to better monitor? Just speculating :thinking:

1 Like

I wondered, too. Thought it was weird they didn’t explain.

1 Like

if i’m remembering correctly, they very quickly mentioned it was so the baby steenbok would get used to being around the keepers, but there was still no mention of mom.

2 Likes

Just watched, wondered the same thing, where was Mom?

Okay, we need someone who is there now or will be there soon to ask the CM’s at AKL! Anyone at Kidani?

We were there in August and faced the Pembe Savanna which is where the steenbok roam. This is also the savanna with Casanova. There is always a CM near the pool to answer questions.

2 Likes

If I was a vet or animal care taker, my dream job would be to work for Disney! They look like they have so much fun…

I could use such fun in my daily life.

2 Likes

First thing I asked when it said it was a new born.

I just watched the latest episode 7 of this series and was completely blown away by some the “Gee Wizz” facts Disney shared about how the salt water for The Seas aquariums is created at Epcot. They make their own sea water. I naively assumed they just used real sea water. They showed trucks unloading specially formulated salt that is mixed with fresh water … to the tune of 27 semi-trucks delivering 2 million pounds of the salt needed for the 5.7-million-gallon aquarium. And then to keep it clean, that water is filtered at the rate of 35,000 gallons per minute. The other unexpected reality of operating Animal Kingdom for me personally is the animal care staff, veterinarians and medical facilities onsite at AK featured in all the episodes do far. They are all so impressive. And humbling too when I think how I take all that out-of-sight care and infrastructure for granted when visiting the parks. I’ll never complain about ticket prices again knowing now more of what it takes behind the scenes to help make park admission possible.

It was like seeing the Ulilidors and AVACS trash collection system at MK for the 1st time when we took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour a few years ago. Or knowing highly regarded chefs create those great dishes we enjoy at Signature restaurants.

I go to WDW for a vacation. But even though I’m retired, I still see things there through my old work eyes wondering how do they do all that hiring, training, scheduling, operating, etc. I know you can dine with an Imagineer, but what I’d really love is take a Resort manager, HR director, housekeeping supervisor, purchasing manager, Maintenance manager, or Operations director to lunch. Wife probably wouldn’t enjoy that, but I’d do it in lieu of FOP or ROTR. :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

These documentaries tug at my heart. I want to hop on the plane and go visit all these animals.

1 Like

Is it really finished??? Will they really not do more episodes??? Last night was 8/8.

I’m sad! I have loved this series!!

3 Likes

I have loved it, too! It really made AK more special when we were there.

I read somewhere that they thought there was a lot more traffic on the animal trails at AK lately, they think due to the series.

3 Likes

Nooooo! I’ve been looking forward to it every week!

1 Like

I can imagine. We didn’t go on the trails because it was just too hot for us, and the walking was excruciating. We also ran out of time. :frowning:

On another note, I just saw where the Affection Section is opening up for petting the animals again. I’m sad that didn’t happen while I was up there.

1 Like