Reminder: DAKumentary releases on Disney+ today!

Just finally watched E2. Found myself wondering the difference between vets, techs, keepers, and managers.

2 Likes

I think I understand vets and vet techs. I was curious about the keeper/manager relationship. Perhaps, the manager is above the keeper? Loved episode 2! Maybe more than episode 1. Nice break from the cares of world this week for sure!

4 Likes

We watched it the other night. I’m digging it! And this week they seemed to show a little more of the actual park, like the Tree of Life, etc. and Epcot!

4 Likes

Today’s episode - Oh, the Hugh Manatee! :pleading_face:

5 Likes

I loved it. Baby Zebra!!!

3 Likes

Watching tonight. DD was out last night and we like to watch together. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Made me want to google “how to become a vet tech at Animal Kingdom” I mean seriously how amazing!!!

7 Likes

Ok late to the party but WOW!! This series is incredible. AK is Always number 4, when I rank the parks. This show really shows how special the park is. I can’t wait to get back and try to find some of the animals they talk about. And those elephants! I have to do the behind the scenes tour now. We are a fan! If you haven’t watched, check it out!

4 Likes
Spoiler for yesterday’s episode

I loved the part about Casanova and how that boy nicknamed him Dynamite and sent a video message to him! :joy:

Also, all the veterinary work is amazing. Tigers, mandrills, birds, etc. I can’t believe how wide their knowledge has to be. And each of those animals can be so dangerous! I was freaking out a bit when they had the mandrill under anesthesia but was about to wake up.

I was particularly fascinated about the piece on the moats. I want to know more of the theory on that and why they are so confident that the animals won’t escape their enclosures, or if they sometimes do. Cheetahs and lions, especially.

2 Likes

Not spoiling. Watching tonight with the family!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I went to the San Diego Safari Zoo park (highly recommend for you AK lovers) and they have an amazing family of African elephants (there’s a web cam so you can watch them from home). We did a back-stage tour and the keeper explained there were times rescue organizations captured wild elephants to save them. Unfortunately farmers and land owners would kill the wild elephants to prevent them from destroying the farm (this is also the reason they are using the bees). So while not ideal to take these amazing beings from their homes, their lives were likely saved. And if they ended up in a great zoo, then they could help education and research that would ultimately go back to help the wild animals. For example, the San Diego Zoo uses the zoo’s nursing moms to figure out the best baby elephant formula so they can send that recipe to use to nourish orphaned baby elephants in Africa who have lost their mothers.

4 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting. I hope that was the case with Thandi and Moyo. I hope to do the behind the scenes elephant tour at AK someday. But we should definitely visit the San Diego Zoo. I haven’t been there since I was a teen!

1 Like

Just watched this week’s episode! I just LOVE this show! Agree @Jeff_AZ that the scope of knowledge for these veterinarians is tremendous!

Baby mandrill coming soon?? Gestation is about 26 weeks… Have we seen any announcements?

2 Likes

Thanks for the post! I binge watched the episodes yesterday afternoon. I can’t wait for more episodes to drop. We have Disney+ free for a year through our cell phone provider. More shows like this may suck me into paying for Disney+ once my free year expires.

We love elephants! They are such gentle, nurturing giants. My kids have a herd of stuffed elephants that all have their own characteristics that they they still play with. Mind you, my kids are 20 and 22!

That’s great that the zoo is trying to improve upon the baby elephant milk formula! Do you know about the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. Its founder, Dame Daphne, through lots of trial, errors, and tears found a formula to raise orphaned elephants in the 1970s, without all the lab testing equipment available to her. To date, the Trust has successfully raised 250+ orphaned ellies and reintegrated them back into the wild. These reintegrated ellies have gone on to raise babies of their own, nearly 40. The reintegrated ellies remember their human family. They return to the orphanage for medical help, hunger, and most adorably, to show off their newborns.

8 Likes

Love this! I’ve been a huge elephant fan since I was a kid and I had my own stuffed elephant or two. :slight_smile:

I follow a few of the elephant rescues on social media and they never cease to amaze and impress me how much they care for the elephants and how much the elephants show love in return.

If you’re ever in the San Diego area, I highly recommend the safari park (different that the main san diego zoo that’s in town). They offer a great backstage tour of the elephants area.

2 Likes

I highly recommend a visit. There’s the main San Diego Zoo in San Diego proper and there is the Safari Zoo park that’s about 20 miles or so outside of San Diego. You could easily spend 2-3 days visiting these zoos. The Safari park was originally just a research and hospital facility to support the main zoo, but they decided to open if to the public. If you go, do at least one of the backstage tours (I’m partial to the elephants). The keeps and tour guides are so knowledge and you’ll learn so much about what the zoo is doing to support the in-the-wild counterparts of the animals they keep in the zoo.

I also recommend the Caring for Giants back-stage tour at AK - so much info and insight for the price. And who doesn’t love going backstage at Disney?!? :grin:

1 Like

Finally got a chance to all 4 of the episodes. Plan to watch #5 at WDW. Made us want to go see the animals at AK on Sunday.

6 Likes

Be sure to talk to the CM’s about it. They all seem so pumped up about the show!

2 Likes

Steenbok have to be the cutest animal ever! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

3 Likes

I haven’t watched this week’s episode yet! Now that the Mandalorian is releasing new episodes AK has sadly taken the #2 spot in my priority list. And with Halloween tonight it will have to wait.

2 Likes