Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

Was alcohol involved? :partying_face:

3 Likes

Never

3 Likes

If you can make that happen, I will seriously buy you a year’s supply of Dole Whip. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Just returned from 10 days at WDW. Fully vaccinated. Masked at all times, inside and out – only exception was while eating. Tested every 3 days, all negative. Was “bullied” several times for wearing a mask, but found it easy to ignore the bully.

2 Likes

You were bullied? I have never experienced that fortunately. So sorry.

2 Likes

:innocent:

(Fyi: I kid, b/c at one time I was majoring in actuarial science, and actually passed a couple exams, but ended up switching to stats, and working in computers).

@JustKeepSmiling Would you care to comment on Covid risk from a probabilistic standpoint?

Poking fun at me is encouraged as long it’s Jurassic-park themed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mad respect for those in actuarial science (or used to be). I remember considering it in college because I felt pretty good about math and wanted something in demand with good pay, but quickly realized it might be beyond what I could have handled. All those exams are daunting. A high school friend that’s doing it might be the smartest person I know.

2 Likes

So, took a Covid test today. Negative. I have picked up a lingering cough though :grimacing: (a throat tickle - no sore throat, fever or congestion ) I’m blaming the Saratoga Springs AC. We almost froze the first night. I have no other symptoms, and did not feel like when I got Covid before so waited until today to test since I fly home tomorrow.

5 Likes

3 of the 4 of us came home with covid. We wore masks indoors, except for eating dinners. We ate all other meals outdoors. The only one of us who didn’t get covid (so far at least) is our adult daughter who was very vigilant about wearing her mask at all times indoors, even while waiting for her food in the restaurants. We’re all vaccinated and boosted, so hopefully won’t get too sick. Right now it feels like a bad flu. Not the souvenir we were hoping for.

7 Likes

Hope you all feel better soon!

1 Like

So, we’re 3 days home and feel fine. Niece had covid a week before Labor Day though (for the first time… she was the weird holdout in her household, though they all went down this time and so did pretty much everyone in their circle), so wasn’t worried about her, but I’m feeling fine and my friend and her family (3 adults, 2 kids) who were in the world at the same time are all feeling fine as well.

We didn’t take any particular precautions, though we didn’t have a ton of indoor meals just because we didn’t. We avoided crowded areas whenever possible just because that’s how we roll all the time. We all either work in the general public or go to/work in primary schools so we’re in fairly high exposure groups on a regular basis.

I think all of us have had covid in the last 6-9 months, FWIW, and 3 of us were definitely in the omicron timeframe.

3 Likes

Just another data point to add to the others.

Been back from WDW for 2 weeks, no COVID. Did 10 days in WDW, including the Galactic Starcruiser. Not vaccinated. No mask. (saw very few masks in WDW)

3 Likes

Personal report from recent trip (Oct 2-5) we wore KN95s in airports (except when eating), airplanes and Lyft/Uber. Otherwise, we did not wear masks in the parks or hotel. We were in some tight ride lines inside with some stops due to loading issues. We ate outside mostly except for once close to an open door and the other time it was in a large restaurant with high ceilings at an early eating time.

DH had Covid 2 months before our trip and I had gotten the bivalent booster 2 weeks before our trip. It is now 8 days out and no Covid. I think we were pretty well protected though or just lucky because we were in crowded areas inside and out .

3 Likes

Or both!

1 Like

We have been back for over 2 weeks from our big 13 person WDW trip for my in-laws 50th anniversary. The day after we got back home, my mother-in-law tested positive for Covid … Happy Anniversary :frowning:

The rest of our group has tested at various intervals over the past 2 weeks and no one else tested positive. She was the only one of our group of 13 that caught Covid at Disney (or potentially at the airport/airplane).

For those interested in how my mother-in-law handled masking: She masked with a KN95 most of the time indoors (the exceptions were eating at Chef Mickey’s, walking through the entry lobby of the Garden Wing of the CR, a few trips to the CR main lobby and photos with characters). No masking outdoors. Note: She is not great at making sure the metal nose piece fits tightly around her nose. Other than Chef Mickey’s, all our meals were outdoors.

Her symptoms were very mild. She had a sore throat and congestion for a few days, but she tested positive until Day 11. She stayed home until she tested negative despite her doctor telling her she could go out with a mask starting on Day 6.

7 Likes

I’m glad it was a mild case!

3 Likes

Thanks. My mother-in-law is in her mid-70s and decided to not take Paxlovid so we were lucky. That said, she had the bivalent booster a month before we left for WDW, and I suspect that helped a lot.

6 of the 8 adults in our group had the bivalent booster 4-5 weeks before the trip (of the two without the recent booster, one had Covid in mid-September and the other in early July).

5 Likes

Went to WDW November 13-19. We were very nervous about Covid but luckily didn’t catch it, or anything else in Disney for that matter! My Mom and I (Ages 70 and 31) both still mask at work for extended periods of time (Substitute Teacher and Doctor’s Office work setting) so wearing a mask does not bother either of us in the slightest.

What we did: Wore KN95’s in airport and on plane (2.5 hour flight) to and from Disney, taking them down to take a sip of water here and there. I also ate at the airport but stood away from everyone. We did notice TONS of coughing at MCO when we landed - yikes. We took a Mears taxi and wore a mask for that too.

We did not mask for the entire trip but did mask both indoors and outdoors if we found ourselves in large groups for extended periods of time. We just tried to remain aware of our surroundings the best we could and judged whether or not to wear one as we went along.

We did indoor dining a few times - 50s Primetime, Hollywood Brown Derby, Grand Floridian Cafe, Sanaa, and Tambu Lounge. We did outdoor dining at Columbia Harbor House and at various food booths at Epcot.

How I know we actually didn’t catch it? We had no symptoms and we both tested twice after our trip, on days 4 and 6. We are both fully vaccinated and boosted, with our latest bivalent booster given two weeks before we left. Though - not sure being vaccinated is even relevant anymore but, just thought I’d share.

5 Likes

Good to hear. CHH has outdoor seating?

1 Like