Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

I’m not sure if it’s actually FOR Columbia Harbor house or, if it’s just a general seating area for dining but, when looking at the building, the seating area is to the right, kind of around the bend outdoors. They are picnic tables / benches under umbrellas and they have utensils, napkins, and condiments outside too.

1 Like

From reading this thread, it seems Liners have a higher masking percentage than the general population. On our last flight to to WDW in October, my family was masked, but overall I would guess about 5%-10% of the passengers on the plane were masked.

2 Likes

On our last few plane trips (August, October) myself and my traveling companions were almost the only ones masking. I think you are correct with the 5-10%. We had a seat free in our row (Southwest) and a man in a mask sat with us. He said he was happy to see others that were masked.

Resurrecting this thread to see if things have changed….there was a stretch of time when many liners were getting Covid on their trips.

2 Likes

We went the week before Christmas, family of four (all vaccinated/boostered). We all have previously had 1 or 2 mild COVID cases (two of us three months before our trip), and decided not wear masks on flights or while in WDW. Happy to say that we tested negative after getting back (before seeing elderly family members).

3 Likes

We were there 1/6 to 1/12/23. Two out of 5 got sick; but it wasn’t Covid

1 Like

A whole bunch of us Liners were there in mid/late
January, and I didn’t hear of any of us getting covid.

3 Likes

I didn’t even get airplane crud
I wore a mask in the plan both going and returning home.
That is the one thing I didn’t do on my last two trips after which I either got covid (july) or just a cold (september)
Last January I wore an N95 in the plane and also did not get sick (and you may recall my sister came down with covid, which turns out my BIL had before we left home :roll_eyes: )

4 Likes

If Covid magically disappeared, I would still continue to mask on planes for this reason. So many germs on a plane that the chances of catching something are much higher than other activities. Why not save the “joys” of a cold by masking for a few hours while traveling???

5 Likes

I was in Orlando from December 27 to January 5. We were only at parks some of the time (Legoland 12/28, WDW 1/2-1/5). We also did a monorail tour day and ate indoors for almost every meal. We found ourselves on packed busses and many just packed elbow to elbow areas of the parks. We took essentially no precautions meaning no masks or distancing. We tried to wash hands/sanitizer allot but thats more to try and prevent all the other germs you can pick up.

In the end none of us got Covid! I tested a few days after getting home and was negative multiple times. It is possible DW or one of the kids got it and was asymptomatic but i think its unlikely. We almost expected to get Covid down there and was pleasantly surprised when we didn’t lol!

1 Like

Totally agree.

1 Like

Planes are not someplace I would worry about COVID. More concerned about the airport itself. I have a friend who works in the airline industry. He said that planes completely replace the entire volume of air in the plane every 20 minutes, and have filters that are replaced twice as often as they are rated for. He also said to be extra safe, you point the fan for your seat directly at your face, because it is entirely fresh air. That made me feel better about the flights themselves.

But the airports themselves is a whole different story.

Anyhow, to the original question…I got COVID while on our December trip to Disney. (we drove, so planes and airports were not a factor.). I passed it to my son and wife before I knew I had it.

3 Likes

My friend and I have done 7 trips trip WDW since Sep 2020 …she got Covid zero times. (I got it once in Jan 22) …instead she got Covid right before Christmas, aka when she would be off work, and recovered by the time she had to go back to work :crazy_face:

There is always a risk - in January 2020 we did two weeks at WDW, I was sick practically the entire two weeks and by the end of the trip all 4 adults were sick. (Mine turned into ear infection, 2 were just a cold, one double pneumonia)

2 Likes

I suspect that doesn’t help much if you are seated next to an infected passenger, and possible not enough with the adjacent rows.

Most importantly, from what I understand some of the airlines do not run the filters until the plane is moving, in which case boarding and de-boarding would be especially risky.

2 Likes

Yep.

The article is almost a year old, but has held up pretty well, for anyone wanting more detail on plane risk. The author is a highly reputable epidemiologist.

2 Likes

This was pretty much what I thought until a friend of mine, an md professor of immunology and virology with 40 years of experience, told me it’s not as simple as good air filtration and circulation and he claimed planes are a hotbed. Any sort of filtration won’t help if someone coughs or sneezes near you, can be the row behind you or next to you, and just puts their hand in front, possibly redirecting the spread. Now if this happens every few minutes somewhere near you, for a flight of several hours… :grimacing:

So his take was that masking on flights is extremely effective in reducing your likelihood of catching bacteria and viruses and I think it makes sense. I heard so many people during the holidays get sick a couple of days after flights.

1 Like

Yes…but this is why you point the fan directly at your face. Fresh air, but also a flow of air that actually keeps air around you away as part of fluid dynamics.

Here is one site that covers a summary of this info…

Out of my party of six, two came home with COVID from our trip two weeks ago. We’re all vaxed & boosted but we didn’t really take any precautions either. Since we shared a villa and case 1 happened a few days before case 2, I suspect we transmitted that second case internally before symptoms showed up.

1 Like

if I do this for 9 hours they will need to carry me out of the plane :joy:

I’m hyper sensitive to draft so I need to keep them pretty much off. Otherwise my neck stops moving, my sinuses get clogged up and I get a horrible headache.

Otherwise that makes sense though. It probably won’t save you if someone walks past your seat and decided to cough directly at you (happened to us…) but I’m sure it reduces the possibilities.

2 Likes

This is true! Achoo