Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

Well 1/4 have thus far tested positive post Alaska cruise. But I have not seen the person since Thursday and they very well could have caught it Friday or Saturday with how fast Omicron shows itself. (They also flew on an airplane - so lots of opportunity for exposure - my mom & I drove home)

I took a test today, negative. Needs to stay that way, I go to WDW on Friday.

4 Likes

Do you live in Vancouver? For some reason I had it in my head that you were from Montreal. I may be mixing you up with someone else. :sweat_smile:

Not even close :rofl: I’m in Edmonton, Alberta.

2 Likes

Came back a week ago and I have a cold. Tested negative 4 times for COVID. Cold still sucks though.

4 Likes

Well at least I got the Canada part right! :rofl: Edmonton seems like a decently long drive from a cruise on the pacific - I assume Vancouver departure?

Same. Came back Saturday and definitely sick with something but have tested negative the last two days. My DD19 also has as a scratchy throat so took a test today. Also negative. My symptoms are classic omicron. We’ll see what happens with tomorrow’s test!

2 Likes

Seattle. About 13-14 hour drive. We broke it up by staying overnight both ways. (I drive a Prius, so even with high gas prices it was cheaper to drive than fly)

Leaving Seattle we wanted to stop at Starbucks, it was 7:15 am…ended up at the original :rofl: I just looked for the closest one that was on our way out of Seattle. Didn’t even realize till we got there it was the first one.

4 Likes

I caught a cold traveling last summer and again this summer.

My theory is that since we are still pretty Covid cautious at home but taking more risks when traveling, it makes sense that is when we would catch colds. We are definitely getting fewer colds at home than in pre-Covid years. Had one hit the kids in May, but I think that was it for the entire school year.

5 Likes

That’s a really good point. Now that I work from home, I’m not interacting with nearly as many people as I did prepandemic - usually just the germs DS brings home from school!

4 Likes

I must have missed a finger or toe, because after arriving home from WDW 9/10, my DD5 woke up with a fever today 9/12 and tested positive. I’m thankful it didn’t present until we got home. Stinks that she has to miss another week of school (and I work), but I still feel she could have got it just as easily at school or somewhere else locally. And we had a great time!

6 Likes

This is now old news but we tested positive at the end of our recent trip from 8/20-8/30. DH got it on day 8, kids the next day, me after 5 days of being home and thinking I was out of the woods.
I am convinced this is because I forgot masks on our AK day and did Its Tough to Be a Bug. That waiting area is so tiny, very low ceiling, sooo many people packed in like rats.

1 Like

I finally tested negative yesterday, though I hadn’t tested since Sunday and it was still quite a dark line (day 7), so I held off until I really needed to know I was negative in order to participate in something without reservation.

This thing took me out. I barely got out of bed the first 2 days, and the sore throat had me practically in tears. I could barely swallow water let alone pills, but we found a powder version of Tylenol that just dissolves on your tongue and that worked wonders.

I’m mostly recovered. My voice sounds terrible and I have a cough that seems like it will linger with me. I’ll be fine for a few hours and then suddenly coughing like I have pneumonia. Then I’m fine again. My taste buds are messed up. There’s no rhyme or reason to what I can taste. I had chips and salsa the other day and could taste the chips but only got the tingly sensation of the salsa, not the flavor.

I’m glad no one else caught it from me and I’m glad I was able to recover at home. I worry about what damage has been done to my lungs after all the coughing. I guess time will tell. I will be getting the new booster in about 6 weeks.

7 Likes

Glad you are finally on the mend!

2 Likes

Best wishes for a rapid and full recovery. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wanted to give an update on our recent trip to WDW with regards to Covid. Our plan was a 12 night trip, in early Sept.

Steps taken to mitigate risk of catching Covid:

• Vaccinated and boosted.
  • Wore N95 well fitted masks everywhere (even outside if crowded - if away from crowds, we would unmask temporarily).
  • No indoor eating, so outdoor seating while eating was the main time we removed masks.
  • Used Mobile Order
  • We would also step away from crowds to get a drink from out water bottles, or wipe our faces.
  • We avoided WDW transport which meant we drove ourselves to most parks, however we ended up taking a sparse bus to MK since you have to take the ferry/monorail anyway from TTC.
  • For show attractions we sat as far away from the center as possible. For the most part we were able to sit in the far corners away from people yet still enjoyed the show.
  • We used sanitizer after every ride, and stopped at restrooms to wash hands as often as we could.
  • The only ride we removed masks was the Kali River Ride as we didn’t want to get the masks wet.

With all that I can say that we avoided covid. (multiple negative tests) It’s been over 10 days since returning home.

However, we did have to cut our trip short from 12 to 8 days as one of us got a sinus infection. (Head pressure, face/teeth pain, stuffy nose, tired). 2 negative covid tests during this time. After returning home early, 2 more negative covid tests, and a 5th negative covid test at the minute clinic, but prescribed antibiotics for sinus infection. So 1 with sinus infection, the other of us with just a mild sore throat, and blow nose. Also multiple neg covid tests.

We believe that the infection (no proof) was from the WDW HVAC system in our room at All Stars. Day 4-5ish the room was quite cold, and we turned up the temperature, which kicked on the Heat. We could smell the ‘burning dust’ smell. Don’t think the heat had run in some time. The vent blew directly on us while in bed. Shortly after both of use started not feeling well, with one getting a sinus infection. We think switching the heat on stirred up any bacteria and blew it into the room.

Day 6 was a planned off day, which was the first day of feeling ill. Stayed in bed. Day 7 was a planned park day that we skipped. Day 8 we left for home cancelling the remaining trip days.

Just wanted to post our experiences. I was looking for others experiences before our trip to get a feel for what others were doing to mitigate covid risk. Maybe it was overkill, but I can say we didn’t get covid. Maybe our experiences will help others in decisions for themselves.

8 Likes

When hearing about situations like yours, I am so thankful for the vaccines. The vaccines may have been the reason you were able to recover at home and didn’t have worse symptoms.

7 Likes

Yes I’ve felt the same. I do wonder how much protection I had left since I didn’t qualify for a second booster, so my last one was in November. But still, I was as vaccinated as I could be.

1 Like

Just a question: did you ever get tested for RSV? That’s what I had in December when they intially said sinus infection, and the university urgent care Dr. said since they started using the PCR swab there that tests for covid, several other coronaviruses, all the influenzas, and RSV A/B they’re realizing that a lot more adults get symptomatic RSV than they ever realized, but most of them would have always just been diagnosed with sinus infection, and probably even more never would have even been diagnosed before covid because they’d just treat at home.

1 Like

We stayed Covid free after our trip 8/20-8/30 that included a 4 night cruise on the Wish, Typhoon Lagoon, 4 park days, indoor restaurants, airplanes, airports, and 4 bus transfers. We started out wearing KF-94s, but to be honest kind of stopped as we got cruising. I was surprised, especially after anecdotal reports of how many people were testing positive after cruises.

We are all vaccinated…I was boosted in Oct last year and had Covid in May, DH boosted in Dec and had Covid in January, DD boosted in June this year and had Covid in Dec, and DS boosted in July and never has had Covid.

2 Likes

I’m always amazed when someone in a household doesn’t get it but looks like your family all had it at different times and didn’t give it to each other?

1 Like