Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

Do you recall the approximate CO2 numbers for Chef Mickey’s? Chef Mickey’s will likely be our only indoor dining meal next trip. DW and I picked Chef Mickey’s thinking that the high ceilings and wide open area would help to reduce risk. I also recall thinking the tables were more spaced out at Chef Mickey’s than some other TS dining, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me.

2 Likes

That was my hope about it as well. High ceilings and monorails wooshing in and out creating air flow… And that seemed to be the case.

I was pleasantly surprised about Chef Mickey’s on this trip on many levels. The CO2 level was pretty good there, settling at somewhere between 500 and 600 ppm. There was space in-between and around the tables, and the restaurant is large enough for them to likely be able to let you move to a different table if the original one they assign you isn’t what you wanted.

Additionally, having the meal be family-style and not buffet was such a game changer. It eliminated so much of the unpleasant chaos that I have associated with Chef Mickey’s from past trips. Now there’s very few people moving around the restaurant and potentially breathing all over you while you are sitting unmasked at your table. We were there for dinner. My family is pescatarian (vegetarian and fish) when eating out, and the food was much much better than I expected.

4 Likes

We plan to do the same precautions. One thing I don’t see in chats are length of visit. I have to assume a 1 day visit is less risk than a 10 day. Have you any experience with people doing 10 days infection free following all the precautions? N95 everywhere, no indoor dining, limit waits, no public transport, etc.

1 Like

We did a 2 week visit (14-28th July) and took no precautions at all. We both got colds but tested negative for covid several times.

Both vaccinated and boosted, my booster was last Dec, I’m not eligible for a second. DS17’s booster was in June. I had covid very badly in January 2021 pre vaccines. DS17 has never had it to our knowledge.

2 Likes

My trips were 7 days at WDW and 4 days at UOR.

2 Likes

Yes. I got it for the first time after a trip in May. I’m vaxxed and single-boosted. I went again in late July and also came home sick. It felt like COVID again, but turned out to be a sinus infection.

2 Likes

We were in WDW for 6 days with those same precautions. I would have felt comfortable staying for 10 days with those precautions, but since each day has some degree of risk, 10 days is riskier than 6. We didn’t stay 10 days because of school/work schedules, not because of Covid.

If you have any more detailed questions about our precautions, please ask. I know that for those concerned about Covid, planning a WDW trip has an additional layer of stress.

3 Likes

I have done 3 10 day trips in September, December, and most recently May of this year. I wore masks in all indoor locations and crowded outdoor locations. I used Disney transportation and dined indoors many times. I did develop a sinus infection in December and tested negative for covid at a local urgent care. I have been able to avoid covid thankfully. I was double vaxxed on my first trip and received my booster the end of October.

Eta: I did also avoid most of the larger indoor shows where they crowd you in such as Frozen Singalong, PhilHarmagic, etc. I did do FotLK and requested to sit at the end of a row.

3 Likes

We were there for 7 days

We left WDW six days ago after an 11 night trip to Universal and WDW. Three of the four of us got our second booster about two weeks before we went. The youngest had her first booster in February and isn’t eligible for the second yet.

We went everywhere and did not wear masks. So far none of us seem to have caught anything. I was concerned that we would get Covid but it doesn’t seem likely at this point.

4 Likes

Well timed! Was that on purpose or coincidental?

We got lucky with the timing. They had just opened up second boosters for everyone 18 and over, and we were able to book appointments right away.

2 Likes

I’ll be surprised if I don’t get it…but we will see.

I’m double boosted, but the second was in May.

Some coughing and sneezing around me this week - with the cherry on top being in the LL for Buzz this afternoon and a mom picked up her kid who pretty much coughed - unmasked and not bothering to cover her mouth - right in my face. Most disgusting is the mom did not even remind the girl to cover her cough!

2 Likes

The problem with previously having asymptomatic Covid, is i have spent my whole cruise questioning whether I have Covid or not :crazy_face: I’m on Day 3. Another 5 days of driving myself crazy, then one week until WDW :joy:

When I got it at WDW it was on day 12 of a 14 day trip. (Had completed 8.5 park days out of 10)

3 Likes

Kinda similar, I thought I had covid about 9 days before my December Universal trip, tested negative at home. Got waaay worse by 5 days before, went to urgent care and got the full everything swab. Antigen test was negative again. Day before trip pcr came back negative for covid, other coronavirus, and flu, so they said it must just be sinus infection, gave me antibiotics, steroids, decongestant, and the good cough meds.

I had a miserable plane ride with ears that won’t pop, get off the plane at 11pm and get a text from the urgent care Dr. saying it was RSV-B, which I thought was just a baby thing. Apparently not, but you’re only contagious for 5-7 after symptoms, and I was on day 9 so she said have a good trip and just stay on the meds.

Because I was coughing hard and in crowds and traveling I was paranoid that I had picked up covid in addition to having rsv, so I was taking tests like every other day. This continued even after I got home, because I coughed like it was my job for 6 weeks. After the first week it so I started wishing I would just get it so I could stop thinking I had it.

5 Likes

ETA: just was trying to respond in general-- in case it’s confusing to you @Nikkipoooo :). I’m so terrible with forums, I swear.

We didn’t get COVID after traveling to Universal or Disney about 4 separate times over the last 2 years. We did get COVID after traveling to Idaho and Wyoming to go to Yellowstone!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can confirm that I’ve brought home the worst Disney souvenir. We had a great week though, and thankfully no symptoms appeared until I was on the flight home (I guess thankfully?) Scratchy throat and headache. Since I’ve been home, got a positive test, and coughing and stuffy nose have come on quickly. The other 4 family members are fine so far. 2 of them had Covid a month before our trip, so I figured they are somewhat more immune to this strain since it’s probably the same one.
Edit: this is my first time having it. 2.5 years and everyone else in the house had it at some point, and I fought it off until this week. I haven’t qualified for a booster since the first round last year, so I figure that’s a contributing factor.

8 Likes

Ugh! I hope everyone who gets it has an easy time of it!

3 Likes

I hope you recover quickly!

4 Likes

We did 8 days at the start of July, and DH and I came back with covid. Kids did not but they had it ~3 weeks prior. Our precautions were KN95 indoors, in queues and for outdoor crowds. No public transportation, but we had to fly and we ate indoors twice. I actually think those precautions were fine and DH got it on his way to meet us a few days in. He humours me on the masking when we’re together but not so much on his own and he tested out 4 days before me. But who knows?

DD11 and I just got back from her delayed 10th birthday trip at UOR and Disney. We did a lot more, took fewer precautions and came back with colds (I think). Still testing negative 5 days after getting home, so moderately confident on that.

4 Likes