Reality Check and the Five Stages of Grief

Here in central CA we are out for 4 weeks (one week for spring break) and are set to return tentatively on April 14. We have been notified that the time will not be made up over summer as this is a “state of emergency” and many of the schools are teaching remotely. Both my sons are in high school and already do a majority of their work in google classroom. They have already been contacted by several of their teachers and have been given assignments, one of which is to journal their thoughts and feelings as they live through a “historic moment.”

2 Likes

I don’t at all think that our fun conversations on this board are over. I think we may have to get more creative with what we talk about, for awhile, however. I often remind myself that you have to make your own joy. What about posting some of our favorite WDW / Orlando pics?

5 Likes

That is disturbing!!!

I am in denial. Staying there until they tell me I have to cancel.

6 Likes

Thank you to those who believe my expression of a view is indicative of a decline in my mental health.

Not wartime conditions, eh?

“We are at war.” President Emmanuel Macron of France

“…at this time of war.” Prime Minister Edi Rama of Albania

But I’m sure you all know better than them. Though your collective knowledge of history is risible.

Let’s return to the “I arrive at WDW next week. Should I book BOG in the morning or afternoon?” threads.

Yeah, no denial evident in these forums.

I’m not an expert is the UK stock market, but wasn’t it lower in 2002/2003 and again in 2008/2009. This is bad, but it isn’t the end of life as we know it. We have rebounded before and we will do it again.

I agree it seems improbable that they will open the parks in a few weeks, but who knows. We just have to wait and see at this point. The parks could be open by summer.

Not all of us are in denial. I think it is going to get much worse before it gets better.

6 Likes

Having hope for the best is not denial. I wouldn’t have made alternative plans for August if it was denial. But I also see no reason to assume the worst is inevitable.

9 Likes

Sometimes I do not know if you are being sarcastic… I don’t think things will be the same for a very long time, if ever. I don’t know if I will ever get to Disney again. Honestly, as someone in multiple high risk categories, I don’t know if I can survive this. How’s that for a reality check? I will be part of the emergency response team tomorrow, the same as today. This is the new reality and I cannot even remember the old.

10 Likes

I get that a lot.

Yup.

1 Like

Sending you (virtual) hugs from way over here in WA.

2 Likes

@Ms.BarbsWildRide, As a parent, what do you think of that assignment? I’m a High School English teacher in Northern CA and need to create online lessons for my students for at least the next 4 weeks. I like the idea of the students documenting their personal reflections and experiences and am prepared to launch that assignment, but I’m concerned that parents won’t find it rigorous or substantial enough.

Thanks, I am holding on and hugging back.

6 Likes

And that is assuming ours measures in the first half were equal to China. Since China let this blow up before doing anything, it seems like we could be ahead of their curve, but maybe not… Who knows

1 Like

@MomofVron perhaps the journaling can be rigorous enough if while writing each day students need to consider certain questions such as how do you feel today. How do you think you’ll feel a year from now. What do you think you’ll tell your kids.

A list of vocabulary words could certainly be included with the idea that at least one new one be included each day.

Will you have one capabilities?

That doesn’t seem rigorous enough. It seems valuable and usable, but not enough.
Are they already working through a piece of literature? What about reading certain bits per day and assigning comprehension and analysis and writing prompts? Maybe honors classes could share their answers with a peer? Pair off via email? Submit summaries? I bet when the shock wears off their will be some enthusiasm to complete their work.

1 Like

Depending on ages, this could be a great lesson in evaluating sources as well. Take a look at various media outlets, social media, CDC, state health organizations - learn to evaluate and corroborate.

NewsELA could be a great resource if teachers want to select specific sources that have been adapted for students.

4 Likes

I would try to extend my stay! That sounds perfect.

The challenging bit on the workload is many high schoolers are now the default daycare for younger siblings if parents aren’t able to work remotely. Possibly even infants. Just something to keep in mind when setting expectations.

3 Likes

Am listening to Lord Hennessy, respected academic historian (Harvard and Cambridge) on the BBC. He’s talking about the virus in similar terms to the way I am.

Meanwhile I read this on Facebook —

(she means “this will all blow over”)

Thanks again to those of you who think I’m mentally ill because of my perspective. Enjoy your trips next month.

I just re-read this entire thread, and there was exactly ONE comment that could be interpreted as questioning your mental well-being, but that one comment was clearly in jest.

6 Likes