Reality Check and the Five Stages of Grief

Speaking of reality checks…something that I was thinking about yesterday was how this will undoubtedly affect the daily running of WDW once it is back up. They will need to recoup the losses, which may mean seeing a great deal many fewer “pixie dust” moments, and cutting back in services, etc. I do wonder how long it will be before we see Disney back in full working order even AFTER they reopen…whenever that may be.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this too. Which is why I wouldn’t want to be going just a few days after they reopen. Now, instead of a late May backup plan, I’m heavily leaning towards a September or even December backup plan. I’ve already booked all of them, just in case.

Maybe by then all the entertainment they’ve just cut will be back as well.

2 Likes

Instead of speculating on what the future holds, I’m living like Anna and just doing “the next right thing”. Right now, Disney has not asked me to reschedule or cancel my trip end of April, so I’m waiting to see what happens next.

Also, I urge everyone to support their local businesses if they can. I am signing up for an online yoga class through a local yoga studio who has shut down in-person classes. I am also pledging to buy take-out at least once a week.

9 Likes

…Or maybe I am being Olaf singing “This will all make sense when I am older!” hahaha

7 Likes

Okay, but my river cruise starting in Budapest in late June is on right? RIGHT! i was so looking forward to it. Now to try working from home, for the technically challenge.

I’m just waiting in Samantha to turn up and tell me what’s what

4 Likes

My studio here in western NY has done the same. It should be interesting to practice alone.

1 Like

I avoid Facebook because I always get angry at this sort of of content, and it is prevalent there.

Overall, I would prefer if Disney had been more explicit about closure dates. I cannot believe that there is anyone inside the company that think they will be open on April 1st. I think they announced 2 weeks just because they can’t deal with more cancelations then that at the same time (I really wished Disney invested more in Software on MDE’s side).

But they announced just 2 weeks of closure. That is the only information their clients are receiving from them, so it makes sense that it is the information clients are using.

4 Likes

Hugs. We have two high risk in my family of four. It’s been an awful few days filled with worry. If there is a healthy way we can go to Disney next year, we will. If not, I will be forever grateful we had the amazing trip in 2018. But man, I really wanted a chance to stay at the Beach Club. :frowning:

2 Likes

Sending you pixie dust! We absolutely must meet up again sometime, therefore, you have to survive! You know, for me. :smile:

5 Likes

I picked up a coffee on my way into work today for this purpose and my boss was shocked and a bit miffed that I would do that when I am supposed to be hiding under my covers. :woman_shrugging: I feel like we are getting major mixed messages.

Of course, he did also gift me half a pack of toilet paper…:thinking:

6 Likes

That’s what I need- incentives! Sigh…if only I could stop yelling at people “SIX FEET!”!

5 Likes

Are you still going in to work?

Emergency function of the city- yup

1 Like

This is a once in a generation happening. Our school superintendent keeps saying this too will come to pass.

It may be very painful but it is not the end of time. Your opening date prediction is only two days off mine. If I win you can have my prize… You are not going anywhere.

1 Like

I’ve really struggled with the take-out question myself. If it’s helpful, here’s the decision tree I finally landed on. (No one in our household is high risk.)

I’m a stay at home mom. My husband can work from home. Schools are closed. Our family risk of getting infected is extremely slim to none if we truly lock down as much as possible. Getting takeout introduces risk at some level. We are thinking the best decision is to avoid it for now, since we can almost insure we stay out of the health care system. Once the situation stabilizes and it looks like our local health care system has a handle on volume, that’s when we do our part with take out, since that’s a better systematic time for us to enter the healthcare system.

On the other hand, I have a close friend that is the child care for her grandson. Both of his parents are first responders. Her family’s risk of getting infected is much more than ours since they can’t completely lock down, so adding take out to that is probably immaterial.

So. Summary of my thought process. If you can completely isolate to be a “late arriver” in the Heath care system, defer for now. If you can’t, might as well indulge in take out.

Just how we worked it out in our heads in case it’s helpful to others.

We might get some restaurant gift cards and pass to our local first responders. Thinking everyone wins that way.

8 Likes

Or, the alternative view is that they will need to discount heavily and add back a lot of the Pixie Dust in order to attract people back. The expectations from Wall Street will be different post-Coronavirus, and the economic picture will be completely different.

WDW won’t go away. Our economies will recover. It may take time, but they will. And people will need a place like Disney more than ever. The economics of the whole thing and the way the company (and many companies) do business may be very different for a while.

8 Likes

I didn’t read it that way either. Just different perspectives about the situation.

I’m a glass full sort of person. It doesn’t mean that I’m blind to the serious issues we are facing or will face in the future for years. I’m still alive. I’m going to enjoy life no matter what obstacles get in my way.

3 Likes

I am the exact same way in this situation and, sadly, I find people getting very angry at me for not being more upset. But I will keep my optimism to the last!

2 Likes

That’s crazy, I thought the US was much more locked down than we are here.