Ready to Run...a return to RunDisney races

I thought it was just the 5k.

1 Like

That was the epiphany that got me into running. I read Jeff Galloways book and learned about the run-walk-run method. I can’t run more than 10-12 minutes at a time. I usually do 3/4 mile jog, 1/4 mile walk. Which is usually 6-7 minutes jogging and 2-3 minutes fast walking. For races, I tighten that up though and typically only walk about a minute at a time. When everyone is running by you it is pretty motivating to get going again!

2 Likes

I thought the April race was the 10 Miler and not 10k which is about a 4 mile difference. Might want to double check before committing.

1 Like

There are 3 races, a 5K, 10K and 10 mile.

Oh good! That would have been an awful surprise getting near mile 6 and looking for the finish line :rofl:

1 Like

So this post is quite personal and probably inappropriate to post here. But I’m doing it anyways. I’m running the Dopey Challenge for St Jude to honor the memory of a boy in my neighborhood that just lost his battle with Leukemia last month.

I finally got back into the swing of running for charity over the last few months when he came home on hospice. And an idea that I had after my first Dopey in 2020 was resurrected: a charity running website (fundraiser exposé, runner blogs, forum, etc.) called Legs Miserables. I finished some of the Legs Mis website before COVID and even set up a 501c3 in case it ever grows to something bigger, hosting our own events and fundraisers or something like that. But as the pandemic went on and on, the idea went on the backburner and never materialized. I do hope to get it going in the near future though. I have a lot of ideas for it.

All this to say, I’ve created a Legs Mis fundraising team for St Jude’s WDW Marathon Weekend campaign (their overall goal is $75,000). So if anyone on here is running that weekend and would like to join my fundraising team, you can do that by going to http://heroes.stjude.org/LegsMis. My goal is to raise $10,000 and we are already more than half way there.

If you raise at least $250 you are a St Jude Hero and they will send you a St Jude running singlet or tech shirt. There are other fundraising prizes as well. If you have a good network of family/friends that could donate, it is worth thinking about.

Send me a PM if you are interested in joining me in the race to end childhood cancer.

10 Likes

Jordan this is such a beautiful idea. Thank you for sharing!!

I’m not sure this is the year for me to engage in this personally, but I surely wish you so much of all the best things for your efforts and I hope to join you another time!!

People in this place make me so proud all the time. Keep doing good things.

2 Likes

You are such an awesome human being :heart:

Also that name is :chef’s kiss: perfection!

1 Like

I like how it sticks with the French theme a la Gaston :wink:

1 Like

Omg I didn’t even make that connection! That’s next level perfection!

2 Likes

I mean it’s obviously Broadway too.

But it ties it all together.

2 Likes

Yes, the stage show which is by far my favorite, but the true inspiration is the original Victor Hugo novel (or “epic”? I think it’s over 1000 pages), which is my favorite book. If you’ve only seen the movie or the stage show you’ve missed more than half the story. But the overall message is the same. The main protagonist, Jean Valjean, despite his immense sufferings becomes a beacon of hope to others. I think this is how kids with health issues and special needs are: they are the strong ones, they just keep going, and they inspire us all. I strive to do this as a charity runner, persevering towards the finish line, and inspiring others along the way.

4 Likes

:100:

2 Likes

Yayyy!

3 Likes

I finally linked to my race pictures…I wasn’t really in the mood to see them before. But this was early, when I was still having a good time! I’m glad I got a picture to remember how far I made it. Hopefully heading to the doctor tomorrow. I’m supposed to do a 5K on Sunday, I’ll be walking that.

6 Likes

Is this photo from before the finish line rage kicked in? Or are you already plotting their destruction at this point?

This photo is from roughly mile 3 of my leg, or 10 for my day. I was not even feeling a little tired yet in this pic.

The race director sent out a post-race thank you and encouraged folks to email him with feedback. I provided same, as requested.

All in all it was an incredible course - beautiful, scenic, safe (a lot on rail trails). But that ending? Ruined the last mile for me entirely. I did tell him I would not do this race again if the end were configured this way. I told him it was a total mind fuck

3 Likes

Who has a long run tomorrow? My next half is Palm Beach on 12/12. I want to scale back a little after last week’s 1/2. I’m thinking 7 miles will be good.

1 Like

Depends which plan you’re on.6 for me tomorrow.

2 Likes

6 will be nice after the long runs you’ve had to do. I’ll go back up in mileage next week, but I just feel like my body needs a little break😊

3 Likes