RCID is one step closer to being dissolved

Wasn’t it Disney, though, that was deciding how much to pay for stuff? So, RCID had been Disney.

1 Like

Think of it this way:

If RCID didn’t exist, Florida state and the two counties would have to build all the roads, bridges, canals, fire departments, and other infrastructure on WDW property. That would have been paid for by taxpayers of the cities, counties, and state.

Instead, RCID did it. Disney controls RCID by placing hand-selected residents to live in the district, all of whom are loyal to Disney’s interests. Normally with a special district, it has the ability to “tax” the benefactors of its existence. So RCID taxes Disney in order to pay ongoing expenses (like paying firefighters).

For larger expenses - like building a new canal or bridge, Disney loans RCID money to construct these infrastructure projects, then RCID pays it with a portion of the “tax” revenue from Disney over the next 10-20 years until the projects are paid off.

It sounds like at the moment, $2 billion is owed for past infrastructure projects that haven’t been fully amortized / repaid. If RCID is being dissolved, that debt shifts to the counties and/or state, and has to be paid by taxpayers of those jurisdictions, which includes Disney, but unlike RCID, Disney isn’t the sole taxpayer (at least practically speaking).

(Caveat that I am not an expert on RCID, but I have worked with special tax districts before.)

12 Likes

So a key point is the RCID is not the same as Disney, even though Disney controls RCID. Right?

2 Likes

Correct. It is a quasi-governmental entity. It’s like if you lived in a town by yourself. You could incorporate and be the mayor, etc. You’d have full control. But legally in the eyes of the state, your identity as mayor is separate from your actions as an individual.

2 Likes

Oop you’re correct. I edited my post to portray the correct number. Thanks.

1 Like

He’s running for President ( along with the governor of Texas, and Ted Cruz, and Hawley, etc, etc)

This reply should have been placed higher up. Sorry

Yeah he seems to be playing to a very particular audience. Building himself up to be a mirror of another popular figure amongst a certain group…

1 Like

This is why I think (and hope) this thing gets shot down or is able to be repealed. Seems like a big publicity stunt on DeSantis’ end to fuel up his base.

1 Like

I hope so too, but it feels like the tail is wagging the dog lately.

1 Like

Its being reported that in order for this to go in effect, the county residents would have to vote on it.

Dissolution of Reedy Creek Improvement District Must Be Approved by Majority of Residents, According to Florida Statute - WDW News Today (wdwnt.com)

not sure how much clout this has, but I doubt Orange county and surroundings will vote to increase their own taxes. Then again, “Florida Man” so I don’t take anything off the table.

4 Likes

I’m sure this is retaliation for the other political issues that have been in the spotlight recently

5 Likes

Actually, it’s even tougher than that. The Reedy Creek Improvement District residents would have to vote on it. Meaning, the hand-picked, pro-Disney residents that live there. I believe it doesn’t even include Golden Oak.

As it states, an act by the Florida Legislature dissolving a special district such as Reedy Creek must be approved by the majority of resident electors or landowners in the district. It would be the latter if the majority of governing body members are elected by landowners.

Reedy Creek Improvement District has fewer than 100 residents in two cities: Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. The residents elect their local officials, while landowners elect the five-member Board of Supervisors.

7 Likes

To be fair it was Disney who first retaliated by calling for the repeal of the law. I’m still puzzled why they got involved in these politics, hoping it doesn’t affect Disney World negatively.

6 Likes

Pretty sure their employees demanded they get involved and take a stance. Employees they meed more than anything.

4 Likes

Wondering if Disney would still move all those coorperate offices to Florida still if this went through?

2 Likes

I guess so. But I know FL citizens support this law by some percentage, I wonder if it’s the opposite majority with the Disney employees?

3 Likes

I’m thinking that the RCID dissolution law won’t withstand judicial scrutiny, it’ll be successfully argued by Disney that it’s a first amendment issue. Government didn’t like what Disney said about a certain piece of legislation, so government punished them by revoking a longstanding and unrelated piece of legislation.

Conspiracy theorist in me says Desantis knows this, and it’s all posturing for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

11 Likes

interesting…

1 Like

Its all showboating on his part to try to get media attention for his next campaign. When you can’t win on your accomplishments you try to win by attacking others.

12 Likes